Sign in to follow this  
David Bourne

FSX-SE Compatibility Testing Thread

Hi Carl,

Referring to post 126 in this thread.

Perhaps I should have made it clearer as to how I installed the Seneca.  I pretty much followed what JRobinson suggested in post 63 of the thread I referenced.  Here's a bit more detail:

I started regedit.exe from the Start menu.  I next clicked as needed to get to "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0.

I exported this entire key to a file on my desktop ("File\Export...").

I next edited the "Setup Path in the right pane so that it pointed to my FSX:SE main folder.

I closed the registry and immediately attempted to install the Seneca.  I could see no on screen indication as to where it would be installed.

After installing I looked in the FSX:SE aiplanes folder and saw the Seneca.  I started the program, flew around for a bit to see if I could see any problems and quit FSX:SE.

I next double clicked the .reg file I had saved on the desktop to restore the key.

All seemed to go well.

When you say you pointed the installer to the FSX:SE folder that has be wondering; I don't recall seeing any indication as to where the Seneca would be installed.

Hope this helps.

Jim F.

I just wanted to confirm that this hack works for the orbx installers I own (and most probably all of them) if you have the boxed and the steam version installed. Great stuff :) thanks!

EDIT: This alone didnt work for my orbx products. I also needed to edit 2 files (Orbx/scripts/FTXSettings.xml and Orbx/scripts/FTXCentral/FTXSettings.xml) to point to the correct library (''Microsoft\FSX-SE"). With those tweaks it appears to work.

Well my contribution, I added CS 727/757/767/777 last night with no issues.  All had their landing gear showing and so far no issues that I can see.

Also, EFB is working and Flight Sim Commander.

I do not have the FSX on my system, but I do have P3D 2.4.  My thinking for now is to use FSX for those planes that are not able to run on P3D. 

Hello:

For those whose decisions for (...or against) either a:

* "side-by-side" install of FSX_SE with FSX_MS

...or a:

* "replacement" install of FSX_MS by FSX_SE

...will be influenced by ongoing compatibility of DX10 Scenery Fixer (aka "DX10SF"), here's a recent post by author Steve Parsons (aka "SteveFx") on whether future "official' support of FSX_SE may be feasible:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/457989-dx10-fixer-on-fsx-steam-edition/

FYI: Apparently there are reports that "current" versions of both FSX_SE and DX10SF are compatible:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/457914-fsx-steam-released-80-off-sale/page-34#entry3139731

Hope this helps ! :smile:

GaryGB

FSUIPC Version 4.938 is now available, and works as best as I can make it with FSX-SE. The installer copes with both ways FSX-SE installs (free-standing or alongside FSX Boxed)..

Thank you SO much Pete, for getting this out so quickly!   You're a gent :smile:

Hi,

Parallel install

ORBXLIBS default to FSX and no way to redirect.  FSX:SE installed after FSX.

Jim F.

Hi Jim,

ORBXLIBS (v141207) worked fine for me.   Same parallel install as you (FSX:SE installed after FSX).

Here's the automatically corrected path, shown on the installer:-

126.jpg

==========================================================

UK2000 Xtreme Sceneries

Gatwick, Manchester, Bristol, Newcastle, Doncaster, Stanstead, Edinburgh - all fine with regards installation and usage. :smile:

Hi David,

Regarding ORBXLibs.

When I attempt to install it defaults to the standard.

oNuCL.jpg

Also, I'm concerned about common shortcuts, both on the task bar and start menu, to FTX Central.  It seems that separate shortcuts to the proper FTX Central would be needed.  One for FSX and another for FSX:SE.  John Venema, the ORBX CEO, has posted that a solution for dual installations is being worked on.

Jim F.

Hi David,

Regarding ORBXLibs.

When I attempt to install it defaults to the standard.

Also, I'm concerned about common shortcuts, both on the task bar and start menu, to FTX Central.  It seems that separate shortcuts to the proper FTX Central would be needed.  One for FSX and another for FSX:SE.  John Venema, the ORBX CEO, has posted that a solution for dual installations is being worked on.

Jim F.

That's strange.  I wonder if it's because your FSX path is non-standard? .... Eg. not in the Program Files (x86) directory.

Can't really see how that would cause an issue, but perhaps.    Yes it will be good when Orbx offer a solution.   I saw them talking about a possible "toggle" switch that will point the Orbx products between standard FSX and FSX:SE.

A number of people have reported that the DX10 FIXER works with FSX-SE.  I am experimenting with a dual FSX/FSX-SE installation. I used the FIXER’s FSX Path window to point it to (redirect it to) the correct FSX-SE location, but when I reopen the FIXER I see the path has reverted back to C:\FSX where the DVD version of FSX is installed. So my questions are:

1. For those that have the FIXER working with FSX-SE, are you using a dual FSX/FSX-SE installation? And if so,
  2. How did you install or make changes to the FIXER to get it to work with both versions of FSX?

Thx,

Al

An update from FSCaptain.  We have the SE installed and are testing.  The only two issues we see so far are the need to install the DLL in FSX-SE rather than FSX for dual installations and the SimConnect issue.  We'll update the installer in the next day or two, and hopefully the SimConnect thing will be resolved by then too.

Charles "Dutch" Owen - Developer at Military Visualizations - currently working on the C310R and SR-71A project for MSFS.

Stevefx d10 fixer  2.6 works  on fsx steam  with out  fsx ms  on my system ,

you juste have to rename  your folder ...

C:\Users\yours\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

to

C:\Users\yours\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

and your fsx-se cfg

to fsx cfg

install steve librarie etc

and revert back

to C:\Users\yours\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

and fsx cfg to fsx-se cfg

This thread is getting pretty big now....

I was able to install a couple of my addons that couldnt find the FSX.exe and their installer wouldnt let me direct it to the location.  I found the FSX Registry Utility that allows you to put the location of your FSX.exe into your registry creating a registry key.  It worked fabulously!  

http://www.tweakfs.com/store/free_tools.php

Stevefx d10 fixer  2.6 works  on fsx steam  with out  fsx ms  on my system ,

you juste have to rename  your folder ...

C:\Users\yours\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

to

and your fsx-se cfg

to fsx cfg

install steve librarie etc

and revert back

to C:\Users\yours\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

and fsx cfg to fsx-se cfg

Might be an interesting thing to do in a .bat file for other troublesome installs.

Since I asked about it earlier in this thread, I can also confirm that DX10Fixer 2.6 works with FSX SE. The other qualifier that people might want to add to their posts is whether they have installed FSX SE in parallel with the FSX CD version ,or whether they have only FSX SE installed. It seems to make a difference to certain 3rd party installers.

So did you install the DX10Fixer 2.6 into SFX-SE on a "parallel" system that also had the CD version of FSX installed? If so, how did you do it?

Thx,

Al