Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

FSX Steam threads...before it gets too hard to search....

Hey everyone,

I see a lot of folks posting fast and furious about the very recent Steam release of FSX.  

I think already we've done our own classification/standardization of certain terms, one of them differentiating native FSX from the Steam version by referring to them as FSX:MS and FSX:SE respectively.

I also see a lot of folks trying to pull everyone together into one post or another to start a parent thread we can all refer to.  While an excellent idea, I can see these individual threads quickly growing to unmanageable levels (read: great enthusiasm about the new addition to our world, hehe).   I don't mind large threads if I've been keeping up with them, but as we all know they are a little hard to sift through if you're a new guy looking for something particular.  :wink:

Looking for thoughts/comments about maybe dividing the FSX forum and branch it into 2 forums to keep all the new FSX:SE content in one place?  I know the pros and cons for that methodology, just want others to chime in and see how they feel and maybe Tom will make an executive decision to act on the consensus.

This is a very exciting time for flightsimming!...and while I thought I was just going to pass on this whole Steam thingy (my technical term for all this), at $4.99 there is no way I was not going to buy it...I'm sitting on it and not installing it now until more testing is done, hoping our brave bleeding edge soldiers out there will take all the chances I'm not willing to with my now nicely balanced FSX:MS (LoL) install.

My one contribution to this thought of splitting the thread....one of my interests is the compatibility of PMDG products with STEAM.  I found the answers over at the PMDG forum, but thinking about sub-categories in the FSX:SE forum that would pull all the related vendor updates/concerns to the new FSX:SE forum vs having to visit each vendor forum looking for FSX:SE info.

Looking for constructive thoughts guys. :wink:

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Oops I just created a similar post :)

LOL....I just saw that Speedbird and makes my point that much more relevant. :)

We'll see what the masses think and then see if Tom agrees.

I'm really stoked about all the rejuvenated interest in FSX..and ANY exposure of this magnitude can only be a good thing for our tiny community (relatively speaking).  

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

I agree Steam issues could use its own sub forum under Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Matthew Kane

As to making a hard differentiation between FSX:old and FSX:SE, is that schism really necessary?

+1

So much is the same between the 2 versions that much can be learned/exposed/supported by keeping things in one place.

Better don't ask Efrain, maybe someone will ask for a FS9.995 forum in the FS2004 section ;-)

Enrique Vaamonde

Don't think a separate forum is needed. Perhaps a Steam FAQ could be put together though. There are a lot of the same questions about how Steam works in the different threads. Not to mention how the Steam edition interacts with an already existing boxed edition install.

Don't think a separate forum is needed. Perhaps a Steam FAQ could be put together though. There are a lot of the same questions about how Steam works in the different threads. Not to mention how the Steam edition interacts with an already existing boxed edition install.

A sticky FAQ would be really nice, just something to look up to see what's compatible or major gotchas during install.

I also think splitting the forum is a bad idea, will inevitably split the same conversions and information into two places. Gives me Berlin Wall vibes.

FS:MS

FS:SE

FS:MS:D10

Am I missing any other variant? lol

FS:AP:MS (acceleration pack)

I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both approaches (splitting or combining).

If they are separated, then a 'core' FSX subject would potentially need to be duplicated across both sections.     But then again, as you pointed out, there are a lot of "Steam Edition" specifics to consider too.

I'll go with whatever the wise minds decide to do.  :lol:

YES on Steam Edition having it's own subforum. Even though I moved from FSX to P3D, I am buying the Steam version as a "backup" to my boxed version. At some point, I will want to go directly to an AVSIM forum dedicated to all of the issues specific to the Steam Edition.

Thanks!

FS:SN:AF:UB:AR Gold Edition.  Stop it.  Just give me DCS:EDGE for Xmas.

I agree with the FAQ suggestion, but that is because I don't do much searching, but typically just read threads that interest me as they come.  Many of the issues about installation of products could be better addressed in developer specific subforums anyway.

Looks like most are thinking we don't need a new forum.

If so, I hope posters will at least look past page 1 before posting a new "Let's post all MSX:SE fixes here" thread, or something closely related.

My initial concern is that in the next few days/weeks we may have many duplicate posts,...as we all know not everyone searches past page one (or even to the bottom of page one, lol) before throwing a post out there, and I just didn't want this and other forums getting flooded.  

Which in turn makes the mods more busy, and opens the door to all the "Why didn't you search before posting" comments that are sure to be included in every post. :wink: 

Even now as I type, over half the posts on the 1st page are Steam related. :Whistle: 

I guess time will tell if the "Steamers" will flood this forum to the point where all would be in agreement to create their own...let's wait to see what shakes out.  :)

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg