Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Kane

FSX Steam Edition Won't Backup

Just curious if anyone else is having this issue. When I go to backup my FSX Steam it only backups 942 MB of it then stops, it should back up 16421 MB. It should be 3 DVD disks and not one

fsxsteambackup.JPG

Let me know if anyone else had this issue as well, I have posted and searched over at Steam Forums as well.....Also tried reinstalling my Steam software.

Also I have not installed any Third Party yet as I understand that can be an issue as well.

Cheers

Matthew Kane

Yes it does, it compresses them so you can burn them onto DVD's if you want to. I have 19 other Steam titles and the backup feature works fine. Not sure what is triggering the FSX backup to stop but I am suspicious it has to do with having MS FSX installed as well.

For now I have copied my FSX folder from Steamapps onto my backup drive but this is not ideal. I would prefer the compressed method as it is easier to restore that way rather then manually (which doesn't always work)

Matthew Kane

Same here, 1 Disc and only 942 MB

Chris.

Christopher Bell.

It is a conundrum because as soon as you install it the best thing to do is backup BEFORE you start to install third party software. I've read over on Steam with other titles Third Party can cause the backup to not work.

I have copied my FSX folder from:

\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX 

so if I need to reinstall I would move that folder over to:

\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading\314160

Their is a good chance this will not work but worth a try, it beats having to download it again. 

Matthew Kane

I was thinking of doing something similar myself. It took me six hours to download and used up 20% of my monthly download allowance

Christopher Bell.

It is a good idea to backup any Steam purchases right after you download it so you don't have to download it again. We are on a 40gb per month plan so downloading 10 gigs is a good chunk of that.

Also because my Girlfriend purchased it the same time so we can multiplay each other, so I can back it up on mine and restore it on her PC so she doesn't have to download it as well. We do this all the time with some of our FPS games as she is more into that stuff then simulators......she likes to shoot me for fun and sometimes I let her  :lol:

THis will be her first time having a go with Flight Simulator and she seems interested in it now

Matthew Kane

Apparently manually copying the FSX directory should work as long as you also copy the corresponding acf file (appmanifest_xxx.acf where xxx is appid of FSX) located in "steam/steamapps" folder.

When restoring you need to make sure steam isnt running. Then copy your back into "steamapps/common/" and your acf file into "steamapps".

I was going to try it but like an idiot I forgot to backup the acf file :( Any kind person would provide me with the acf file for FSX? its just a text file btw. Im in australia and like the previous poster have only 50G/month.

Apparently manually copying the FSX directory should work as long as you also copy the corresponding acf file (appmanifest_xxx.acf where xxx is appid of FSX) located in "steam/steamapps" folder.

When restoring you need to make sure steam isnt running. Then copy your back into "steamapps/common/" and your acf file into "steamapps".

I was going to try it but like an idiot I forgot to backup the acf file :( Any kind person would provide me with the acf file for FSX? its just a text file btw. Im in australia and like the previous poster have only 50G/month.

PM me your e mail

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Sweet, thanks for that.  B)

Matthew Kane

Sweet, thanks for that.  B)

It still needs to be tried ;) I have been using steam for a long time and you used to be able to just drag and drop your game folders and it would work. But I tried this a while ago (year or so?) and it wouldn't work. I only found this answer trying to help in this thread as being able to backup this game is a necessity for myself as well. Low disk space on my laptop and also being with the most famous aussie ISP being the reasons. heh heh

Also because my Girlfriend purchased it the same time so we can multiplay each other, so I can back it up on mine and restore it on her PC so she doesn't have to download it as well. We do this all the time with some of our FPS games as she is more into that stuff then simulators......she likes to shoot me for fun and sometimes I let her  :lol:

Did everyone else just skip over this detail!!!

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

Okay people I need to add to this thread as I still couldn't confirm this works however I believe it will knowing a bit more about steam everyday lol. 

The problem is every game on Steam is packaged differently and from what i understand this is the only backup that can be applied to all games. The actual answer to the OP can be found in steam's FAQ about the build-in backup process, not every game can be backed up that way.

I also forgot to mention something in my instructions. After you have copied the correct acf file and your FSX folder back into s/steamapps/ and /steamapps/common, you need to start Steam and go to your library, then right-click on fsx and go to properties, select 'local files' tab and click on 'verify integrity of game cache'.

So as an anecdote as to why I couldn't verify this. I was provided with a correct acf file (ty badfinger :D) and was all smile when i suddenly realise I couldnt even copy over my backup heh heh. I consider myself proficient with computers but I didn't only fail once, by omitting to copy the acf file, but twice by backing up to DVDs without compressing the backup first. Even in australia it is faster to DL it than restore an uncompressed image on 4 DVDs (I was looking at 16h of copying from disk). Oh dear so thank god my DL counter resets on the 27th and I had enough to redownload FSX:SE... Can't take the risk to try this until the 27th then :) but don't forget and COMPRESS your backups :P