Sign in to follow this  
pilotter

Hard edge / fading clouds jetliner

now that Lockheed has fixed the cloud almost perfect, I was wondering what is the best setting in terms of upper visibility and cloud draw for a jetliner.

for example if set cloud raw to 90/90 and visibility to 100, the clouds fade in and out, But there is this hard edge with overcast, especially when flying at high altitude.

I believe the minimum cloud draw, is used with heavy cloud draws? 

So what would be the best setting for this?

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium     

I am trying different settings, but yet not really happy. I have to reduce visibility even to 35 to reduce the hard edge with clouds draw at 90  :huh: . Maybe because of texture sets are different etc? I use latest REX for textures.

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

im using REX 4 and they work great. try turning anti-aliasing  on see if that helps. It also could be that your hardware just cant handle it. or also could be the setting in REX itself turn them up higher.

im using REX 4 and they work great. try turning anti-aliasing  on see if that helps. It also could be that your hardware just cant handle it. or also could be the setting in REX itself turn them up higher.

No it's not the clouds itself, but the horizon. If you have overcast I see a "blanket" ending before the horizon, but continuously building.

o i see what u are saying ok. a picture would be nice, but if im thinking correctly its has something to do with tweaking fsx if you have the addon manager from FSdreamteam try tweaking the CFG. for in there. see if that helps if not reply with a photo.

Hi, 

leave min cloud draw distance (CDD) to 90 and set max cloud draw distance (in ASN settings) to a larger value (let's say 130 or even larger). Try several values and ASN will adjust things on the fly (and dynamically calculate a value based on the "cloud load"). At the same time play with upper visibility to find a correct balance. You have to find a sweet spot that will not affect your performance on your machine. 

Keep in mind that while on approach (and certainly below 10000 feet), ASN will reduce to your selected min CDD setting to help preserve frames. The only drawback to this approach is that some "line" cloud patterns may become more frequent this way. 

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Hi, 

leave min cloud draw distance (CDD) to 90 and set max cloud draw distance (in ASN settings) to a larger value (let's say 130 or even larger). Try several values and ASN will adjust things on the fly (and dynamically calculate a value based on the "cloud load"). At the same time play with upper visibility to find a correct balance. You have to find a sweet spot that will not affect your performance on your machine. 

Keep in mind that while on approach (and certainly below 10000 feet), ASN will reduce to your selected min CDD setting to help preserve frames. The only drawback to this approach is that some "line" cloud patterns may become more frequent this way. 

Hi Word Not Allowed, thanks this did it 90/130 with upper vis to 100NM. no more "hard edge" but nice horizon and slowly fading clouds. Tried today around Kiah at Flight level 310. SUPER.

sorry, was to early with conclusion. At lower levels it was ok, but at FL310 I have to reduce vis to 36, with clouds min 90 and max 130.

well not really satisfied to put cloud draw on 130, and then reduce visibility to 3.6. But this has been since fs9 a problem for me