Sign in to follow this  
kriggelb

NGX not pausing at TOD with feature enabled

Hello everybody,

I just wanted to come up with a strange issue I have never experienced before:

Today I was flying from EHAM to EKCH with a flightplan created with PFPX. I've done this kind of flight a lot of times with the NGX, but today there was a really strong tailwind flying to Denmark (using ASN).

Even though I've got the "pause at TOD"-feature enabled the sim didn't pause and the 737 simply overshot the TOD.

It's the first time this happend and it is very confusing for me.

The only thing I can think of is that with the strong tailwind (approximately 70 kts from behind) not entered into the FMC the NGX didn't pause even though there was a destination and a selected STAR.

Does anybody have some kind of experience with this issue? As I said: it's the first time I have encountered this problem. "TOD" was definitely on the nav display, but the NGX just kept on flying...

Any kind of hint would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards from Germany,

Chris

Christian Baldauf

Any kind of hint would be greatly appreciated!

Always ensure that there's a TOD for the flight. Occasionally, people will forget to add the STAR in. No STAR (which usually has some sort of altitude restriction on it. No altitude restriction - no T/D; no T/D - no pause.

Kyle Rodgers

If you are running Acars see if theres an option to pause at T/D and select that too along with the option enabled in the FMC

Hello, thanks for the answers!

Actually I didn't forget to add the STAR in. There was a TOD for the flight and it was shown on the ND as the green "waypoint".

And no, I'm not running ACARS.

In fact, I just did the flight the way I've been using the NGX without issues for months now.

So I keep thinking it must be the special weather with the strong tailwind on that day combined with not entering winds aloft in the FMC. I'm really missing the route data uplink feature just like in the big sister:-)

I'll try to repeat the flight with historic weather in ASN, but with at least entering a wind value in the PERF page.

I'll report back...

Christian Baldauf

So I keep thinking it must be the special weather with the strong tailwind on that day combined with not entering winds aloft in the FMC. I'm really missing the route data uplink feature just like in the big sister:-)

Sometimes you just have to breakdown and make the wind entries yourself, or tune the localizer frequency, or even enter the ILS course. Starting on page 131of Tutorial 2 is a section on Weather/Winds Aloft use. You might want to read that section.

As promised here is my update:

IT WORKED!! Entering the average wind data for the trip in the CRZ-field on the PERF INIT page during preflight seems to have solved the "issue"! The NGX now pauses again a few miles before the TOD. So I guess not preparing the FMC for the strong tailwind caused some kind of "system confusion". A perfect example for human factor-issues in aviation:-)

It is quite easy using the ASN briefing feature: With a flightplan loaded into ASN you get the average wind direction and speed on the briefing page. I know I could do even better by entering data for every waypoint and even adding forecast information, but at least the pausing is there again. Of course, that itself is not realistic, but as a husband and father of three I have to integrate my hobby into daily life...

It's so great to see a community willing to help - thanks a lot and merry Christmas to all of you!

Kind regards,

Chris

Christian Baldauf

As promised here is my update:

IT WORKED!! Entering the average wind data for the trip in the CRZ-field on the PERF INIT page during preflight seems to have solved the "issue"! The NGX now pauses again a few miles before the TOD. So I guess not preparing the FMC for the strong tailwind caused some kind of "system confusion". A perfect example for human factor-issues in aviation:-)

It is quite easy using the ASN briefing feature: With a flightplan loaded into ASN you get the average wind direction and speed on the briefing page. I know I could do even better by entering data for every waypoint and even adding forecast information, but at least the pausing is there again. Of course, that itself is not realistic, but as a husband and father of three I have to integrate my hobby into daily life...

It's so great to see a community willing to help - thanks a lot and merry Christmas to all of you!

Kind regards,

Chris

for some reason i think that is a bug or something but probably not. Im glad you fixed it. Heres the thing to do that much work and get them almost correct is really stupid. hopefully if PMDG comes out with a SP2 for the NGX it will include weather radar and D-link.