Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

FSX STEAM OR WAIT FOR P3D 64BIT?

$5 dollars is not wasted where there's an opportunity that it may run better for you than the boxed version.  It does have some fixes and changes and no they're not all just FSX.CFG tweaks - for example, HIGHMEMFIX has been integrated, but it's not in the FSX_SE.CFG file, so it's integrated into one of FSX's DLLs I guess.    Also, there is the possibility that Dovetail will make further improvements and changes.       P3D is not the automatic replacement for FSX, otherwise every FSX user would by now have moved to P3D.   For ATI card users, P3D2 really does not run well at all (same goes for XP10 64bit BTW).  No Supersampling AA, and poor performance and frame rates.

There's no right answer, we're all just offering opinions but I'd say $5 is too good an opportunity to miss, to buy into a version of FSX that is in the custodianship of a current developer / vendor.

wether i should install fsx steam and addons or wait for p3d 64bit

Why not ask FSX steam or the now available P3D ? Is FSX steam really better than the current P3D ?  Do we not have everything offered in FSX steam in P3D already. I mean things like fixed bug in FSX and better performance ?

By all means, wait for P3d 64-bit... and wait, and wait, and wait...  :lol:

$5 for FSX if you already own it, is $5 wasted as well. Perhaps multi-player enthusiasts will have a reason to buy in, but for everyone else, welcome to the world of Flight Sim Tweaking... pointless tinkering with software and hardware.

Dick

$5 for FSX if you already own it, is $5 wasted as well. Perhaps multi-player enthusiasts will have a reason to buy in, but for everyone else, welcome to the world of Flight Sim Tweaking... pointless tinkering with software and hardware.

I'm amazed at the number of people who already have FSX installed, have a perfectly usable DVD but have chosen to buy and install a virtually identical version of FSX and with Steam running in the background. How long before fingers are pointed at that for causing CTDs?

SSD space wasted too. Which of the two versions do you now fly? No functioning FSUIPC4 until January. And for what? Multi-player pilots can probably justify the outlay. Not sure why anyone else has bothered. Just because it's $5? The Microsoft servers for FSX registration will be running for many years yet.

Quite honestly, that money would have been better spent on an AvSim donation.

And to answer the OP's question... neither. Stay with non-Steam FSX until P3D is more mature then make the switch. Even a 32-bit P3D will be better than FSX-SE providing you have suitable hardware. 64-bit P3D is a long way off still.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I agree with Ray - other than the fact that we, as simmers, by nature always seem to spend $$ on new things just in case they MIGHT be a little better. Personally I see it as a step backward from P3D but for some, who have problems with FSX, it may be a step forward.

I find it amusing in that it has been out for a day and already I'm reading various claims of how it solved this issue and that problem etc. They made some minor improvements to enable FSX to operate in the Steam model. They did not do a complete redesign and, fro what I have read, do not have any plans to do so.

That said, for $5 - go for it but be aware it is not the Holy Grail.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

And fsx will still be 32 bit, right?

What's your point? They are not waiting for FSX its here. P3D 64 bit is Vaporware.

As Shakespeare would probably say about this situation; "Much Ado About Nothing".

Do we not have everything offered in FSX steam in P3D already. I mean things like fixed bug in FSX and better performance ?

\/  \/  \/  \/

[........] P3D is not the automatic replacement for FSX, otherwise every FSX user would by now have moved to P3D.   For ATI card users, P3D2 really does not run well at all (same goes for XP10 64bit BTW).  No Supersampling AA, and poor performance and frame rates.

i dunno im still leaning over to try p3d

Ask the same question in the P3D forum, you'll get a more accurate response than what some have presented here.

Cheers, Rob.

Does anybody have any more info on claims of increased performance with the new FSX:SE version.  Personally, I'm quite skeptical of some, but I want to try to keep an open mind.  Right now, I'm completely with Ray and Vic's comments.  I think even if some reports of performance gains were true, I still wouldn't bother with FSX:SE, but I do want to know the facts.

No functioning FSUIPC4 until January

I've just released FSUIPC 4.938 which seems to work well with FSX-SE, and also an updated MakeRunways to suit.

And for what? Multi-player pilots can probably justify the outlay. Not sure why anyone else has bothered. Just because it's $5?

For us Brits, it's £3.99 (temporary intro pricing) -- and it does seem faster. I've been hacking into the code in order to get FSUIPC hooks working correctly, and there are significant differences.

I have experience of this with my own programs. Even simply recompiling completely with a more recent, more effective compiler (the 2013 version in this case) can have quite significant differences. The best compilers these days are targetted at the current range of processors, taking into account pipelining and so on. There have been significant developments in processor design in the 8 years or so since FSX was released, and the most recent compilers take advantage of these wherever possible. They do a far better job than hand-coding in assembly code, something i would have furiously denied not that many years ago!

Personally I suspect taking advantage of the special initial price is a good move. As someone said, folks pay more for a cup of coffee (or in my case, a glass of beer! ;-) ).

Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen