Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

FSX STEAM OR WAIT FOR P3D 64BIT?

Kevin

If you don't suck the lollipop you never get the taste.  Many old simmers (like me) run more than 1 computer - I have 3, all high end.  Oh! and an iPad. 

My serious simming is done on two dedicated computers upstairs.  The one I am using now is in my downstairs study (English for office).  It has masses of spare space so I thought I would try the Steam thing.  What's $5????  (I do also support Avsim by donation).

Through the Steam library, I have discovered that I also have Aerofly (damn these aging grey cells!), so I am downloading that to give it another suck.  I later found it gathering electronic dust on 1 of the dedicated machines.

Frank

Regards

Frank Jones

5 bucks are still much money to throw it out of the window.

Its like, hey I already have a game xyz but now its available on steam, lets buy it to test the differences, but there is no, right?

No, but if it turns out to be a good bet, (and I won't have time to do comparison tests for you till Jan 5th or later), and especially if DoveTail actually do develop it further (as they obviously do have the source), you could well regret not having bought it for £3.99 when you could, because the price then will no doubt be £20+. ;-).

Even if Dovetail can modify the code and improve things I would still be reluctant to move from what I have now. My install is stable and frame rates even at Paris de Gaulle (worst performer) are more than acceptable. And for me it's not just the $5 but the cost of another SSD as a second FSX would eat up most of my remaining space.

The elephant in the room is available VAS and until Dovetail can solve that then I doubt I'll switch. If they do then I may well buy it at the increased price unless it's a silly one. How likely is it that freeing up VAS is likely or are we limited by a 32-bit app?

I've got more of a bird-in-the-hand, pick up bargains while you may, mentality! ;-)

We're very different creatures in a lot of ways! :smile:  I've always been conservative and not necessarily always with a small c.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2.6GB free VAS ifly737 at KLAX spot view FSX-SE testing install, sliders maxed DX9 ( will be using DX10 once I perm mover to SE) 4096 and LOD 5.0 World of AI copied over from FSX Deluxe.

If anybody is interested :)

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Am I wrong? What am I missing? I'm not meaning this as an attack but as a statement of being completely baffled by what I'm seeing and really wanting to know what the heck people are going so crazy over this for. I just don't get it.

Because folks are happy that their chosen platform now has a future and a chance that improvements to the  platform may now be possible.

Just the fact that it has been recompiled with a modern compiler should make it use the features of todays processors better.

I am equally baffled why so many are happy to see FSX locked into 2006 and seem to hate the thought of the platform moving forward

Because folks are happy that their chosen platform now has a future and a chance that improvements to the  platform may now be possible.

Just the fact that it has been recompiled with a modern compiler should make it use the features of todays processors better.

I am equally baffled why so many are happy to see FSX locked into 2006 and seem to hate the thought of the platform moving forward

Could not agree more.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

For me, it's a bet for the future: Spend 5€ (or whatever price it is) now and get the chance to maybe have a better performing and supported version of FSX in the future. As with all bets, whether the wager is worth the possible reward, is entirely up to you and your estimates about the uncertain future. Because as of now, nobody (including the publisher of FSXSE) seems to know, what the long-term plan for FSXSE will be.

Because folks are happy that their chosen platform now has a future and a chance that improvements to the platform may now be possible.

The word 'may' is just that. A lot depends on how much a 32-bit app can be improved on a 64-bit OS. And also the quality of the coding of any changes. I'm not knocking the product - I just haven't seen any compelling reasons why I should install another near-identical version of something I already have that works fine with all my existing addons.

Agreed that doing this has seemingly improved fps but we don't know by how much at this point. The freeware Ai Traffic Optimizer program boosted fps for me by around 20%. I'm more than happy with FSX performance even at the busiest airports.

I am equally baffled why so many are happy to see FSX locked into 2006 and seem to hate the thought of the platform moving forward.

I never said I was happy with it being locked into 2006 mode. But Dovetail's experience with FSX is so far unproven. I'd prefer to wait until I'm presented with compelling reasons why I should move to their version. For me personally I see P3D as the long-term future of FS as it has a better chance of moving to a 64-bit platform than Steam's FSX.

I've just checked available space on my FS SSD and I have 93Gb free. Another FSX will consume 78Gb so I would soon need to buy another Samsung 840Pro SSD and that is a lot more than $5.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

One thing many here on this forum mentioned before the release of FSX Steam; was that Dovetail was releasing it only as a stopgap (read money maker) before launching their own simulator based on Microsoft flight technology that they purchased. Now that FSX Steam is released, all I hear is the expectations that Dovetail will put a great deal of time (an consequently money) into this stopgap at the obvious expense of their main release; how logical is that?

Because folks are happy that their chosen platform now has a future and a chance that improvements to the platform may now be possible.

So I really need to read up more on exactly what dovetail is allowed/planning to do. Because this answer makes me say "what is prepar3d"? That's the same platform essentially and already has improved tremendously further than what dovetail has done with their version and, again I need to read more, but it has a possibly far better future. So I get your answer. But it just seems there is already that path and it has been traveled down much further.

So, I'm not sure if you are baffled by people staying "locked" into 2006 was directed at me or not, but I'm happily moved on to P3D.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

So I really need to read up more on exactly what dovetail is allowed/planning to do. Because this answer makes me say "what is prepar3d"? That's the same platform essentially and already has improved tremendously further than what dovetail has done with their version and, again I need to read more, but it has a possibly far better future. So I get your answer. But it just seems there is already that path and it has been traveled down much further.

So, I'm not sure if you are baffled by people staying "locked" into 2006 was directed at me or not, but I'm happily moved on to P3D.

Steam has sort of thrown a really big spanner in the works. The big money as far as the Devs are concerned will now come from the new FSX.  P3D entertainment market has just had a large chunk removed in future sales. Not a good combo

ZORAN

Steam has sort of thrown a really big spanner in the works. The big money as far as the Devs are concerned will now come from the new FSX.  P3D entertainment market has just had a large chunk removed in future sales. Not a good combo

Possibly, I guess.  Though Steam/Dovetail has got a long way to go to bring FSX to the level of where P3D is today.  If they can equal and maybe pass P3D some day, either with their FSX version(doubt that as why would they spend too much time/money here) or their supposed new simulator they are working on, then this will really give them the advantage as their won't be the darn EULA crap hanging in the way.

I don't know.  I can understand these views for Steam.  But, what shocked me the most again was the hype or flooding here on avsim with posts about it.  It just surprises me, that's all.  Literally 80-90% of the recent topics are/were on something related to Steam - similar to when PMDG releases something.  You can't get a word in about anything else when that happens and that seemed to be what was going on here over what is essentially nothing new.  So, it just didn't make sense to me.  Bottom line, to each their own I know.  Was just trying to make sense of it.  :)

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

P3D entertainment market has just had a large chunk removed in future sales.

Fortunately for LM; a P3D entertainment market doesn't exist, so no loss of sales whatsoever.