Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

FSX STEAM OR WAIT FOR P3D 64BIT?

Just get all of them...$65 for FSX:SE and X-plane 10.3...pretty good deal.  P3D 64bit is probably a ways off from what I've read.

Ryan

I guess we do not know the answer yet. P3D has modernized the old fsx engine and introduced new sdk features barely used by 3rd parties due to compatibility issues with fsx users. SE has just started.

either we will have competition "entertainment" vs "real simulator" or just sim competition. Dunno where it will go. We'll see who has $$$ and brighter minds. LM is limited in the entertainment issue and FSX-SE is not i guess. Interesting.

My guess is, p3d will continue with better sdk and 64bit, while DTG will focus on own DLC with visual effects that brings attention of young generations used to high quality arcade games.

So, invest 5$ and wait sounds like good answear for fsx-se, while you can already enjoy p3d v2.

Marcin

Let us hope that if LM does produce 64 bit P3D that it's still not just the relic ESP core with their applied eyecandy.  Sad day to think that we've hit the end of the road and all the future holds for FS is a shinier FSX rock.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

FSX:SE does seem to run better than FSX. I am really enjoying it. Not having to mess with DVDs is worth the price of admission alone.

Somebody earlier mentioned something along the lines of what people will say if Steam causes CTDS...well, I've had Steam for years and never had a CTD due to its use. As far as Steam running in the background, it has had NO effect on any of the games I have ever played. 

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

I've just released FSUIPC 4.938 which seems to work well with FSX-SE, and also an updated MakeRunways to suit.

Well done Pete. Nice Christmas present for the pioneers.

For us Brits, it's £3.99 (temporary intro pricing) -- and it does seem faster. I've been hacking into the code in order to get FSUIPC hooks working correctly, and there are significant differences.

I have experience of this with my own programs.... Even simply recompiling completely with a more recent, more effective compiler (the 2013 version in this case) can have quite significant differences.

A comparison using your rotating Heathrow test would be interesting. But with your setup (mirroring mine) we really don't need those extra fps. Others might benefit from them. Even if it's a 20% improvement I got that by using Ai Traffic Optimiser and that was gratis. I know you didn't see any benefit so each to their own.

Personally I suspect taking advantage of the special initial price is a good move. As someone said, folks pay more for a cup of coffee (or in my case, a glass of beer! ;-) ).

It's a price anyone of us can afford but I'm still not attracted to it for the reasons already given. But if it managed VAS more effectively then it could be of interest. however, no-one has mentioned that so far.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It's a price anyone of us can afford but I'm still not attracted to it for the reasons already given. But if it managed VAS more effectively then it could be of interest. however, no-one has mentioned that so far.

No, but if it turns out to be a good bet, (and I won't have time to do comparison tests for you till Jan 5th or later),  and especially if DoveTail actually do develop it further (as they obviously do have the source), you could well regret not having bought it for £3.99 when you could,  because the price then will no doubt be £20+. ;-).

I've got more of a bird-in-the-hand, pick up bargains while you may, mentality! ;-)

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

. Its just went up to 12.49 euro on steam

ZORAN

Much of the conventional wisdom had been, before release, that DTG did not have the source code.  Then it comes out that they do have the source code because they recompiled it.  Then some say that, yes, they have the code, but they aren't allowed to fix anything.  Yet they did fix a few things more than just add well known file tweaks.  So where is the information coming from that says DTG is not authorized to continue improving the code or adding features?  Is this confirmed by real information somewhere, or is it just another of many assumptions? 

So where is the information coming from that says DTG is not authorized to continue improving the code or adding features?  Is this confirmed by real information somewhere, or is it just another of many assumptions? 

I'll give you one guess :rolleyes:

Lewis - A2A Simulations

It was inferred from Microsoft's and Dovetail Game's very own Press Releases regarding their license.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Quite honestly, that money would have been better spent on an AvSim donation.

Hadn't thought of it that way. You are absolutely right. I've owned a boxed FSX for 5 years. Now I use P3Dv2. But because FSX:SE was so cheap, I thought I'd buy it as a "fail-safe" digital backup. 2 days later, I am asking myself why in the **** did I just buy that? Most likely, I will never even install it.

To make up for this bad decision, I will make a good one... Avsim, please accept my donation. I sincerely appreciate all of the help I've received here over the past year. I would not be enjoying my sim otherwise.

Happy Holidays!

Aaron

I havent read all the post in this thread, but I'd like to throw my 2 cents and respond to the OP.

In my way of seeing life you shouldn't wait for something which might not even occur while you can be happy with something that is there and reachable. Applies to a lot more than flight simming topics... The fact that you ask this question shows that you would like to purchase FSX:SE, so just do it...

Life is way too short to just wait hoping...

Has anyone tried to install any of their existing addons onto FSX Steam?

Regards

Frank Jones

I hope that there is still a push to get true SLI support for P3D. That is more important to me than 64 bit.

You can set SLI.

It won't double the fps, but devides the working load on the 2 graphics cards.

Before I had one card at 70% and the other at 30%.

Now they have an equal load.

The advantage is that you can use higher resolutions or use better image quality.

Also I have , depending on the situation, 20-40% more fps.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I'm amazed at the number of people who already have FSX installed, have a perfectly usable DVD but have chosen to buy and install a virtually identical version of FSX and with Steam running in the background. How long before fingers are pointed at that for causing CTDs?

SSD space wasted too. Which of the two versions do you now fly? No functioning FSUIPC4 until January. And for what? Multi-player pilots can probably justify the outlay. Not sure why anyone else has bothered. Just because it's $5? The Microsoft servers for FSX registration will be running for many years yet.

Quite honestly, that money would have been better spent on an AvSim donation.

And to answer the OP's question... neither. Stay with non-Steam FSX until P3D is more mature then make the switch. Even a 32-bit P3D will be better than FSX-SE providing you have suitable hardware. 64-bit P3D is a long way off still.

A BIG AMEN!!! I have been watching avsim take a hit in postings like it was a PMDG release party. I must have completely missed the boat on this one cuz I just don't get it. Why are so many people so excited for this???? I get that it's only $5(or now maybe $12 or whatever) but still. Why pay any money for something you already have!?!? Why not just give Microsoft another $5? I get the people that are new to FS or the people that want multiplayer. That's fine. But I highly doubt that most of us here are new. Maybe some multiplayer. Anyway, Two installations of the same thing??? it's going to run better? Better performance? Less chance of OOM? Really??? You know why you're experiencing that? Cuz it's got next to nowhere near the same number off add ons, potentially bad tweaks, bad configs etc that your current install has. I mean, this is the SAME software. Just with new multi player, right? Someone put a different color lipstick on the same pig and then charged you $5 to kiss it again!

Am I wrong? What am I missing? I'm not meaning this as an attack but as a statement of being completely baffled by what I'm seeing and really wanting to know what the heck people are going so crazy over this for. I just don't get it.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024