Sign in to follow this  
Ken.Pascoe

Saving Window States

Now I did recently read somewhere, that panels can be edited with notepad to open up at certain positions.

But I have not experimented with that though.

Back at my FS computer and did a little experimenting.  Going into the panel.cfg file and setting position = [ number 1-8] does move the popup window around.  You can also position a popup more precisely by using instead "window_pos=x,y", where x is a percent of the horizontal length of the screen and y is a percent of the vertical length of the screen.

However the "visible" variable doesn't seem to do anything, probably as we are in VC mode.  So you still have to click on the panel DU or use Shift-X to get the popup to show.  But it pops up where you want it.

This also works with the CDUs and almost certainly w/ any other popup windows.

These changes will work w/ any new load of a T7, and don't involving reloading a particular flight or undocking windows.

Here is the entry for the upper center display screen (EICAS):

-----------------------------------

// Zoomed Upper DU

//

[Window09]

BACKGROUND_COLOR=10,10,10

size_mm=555, 555

window_size = 0.28906, 0.46250

window_pos=0.6,0.5 // <<PLACES THE UPPER LEFT CORNER ABOUT 6/10 ACROSS AND 1/2 DOWN.

//position=5  //<<NOTE THIS IS COMMENTED OUT TO AVOID CONFUSION AND UNCERTAINTY.

visible=1 //0 <<DOESN'T SEEM TO DO ANYTHING IN VC.

ident=412

zorder=95

gauge00=PMDG_777X!DU, 10, 10, 535, 535, 1 UPPER #13 ZOOM

------------------------------------

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

This also works with the CDUs and almost certainly w/ any other popup

Thx for trying and reperting Mike.

Do you know how to edit the CDU for example so that when I click on it that it opens up on my second or third display?.....is that possible at all?

Rob Robson

Do you know how to edit the CDU for example so that when I click on it that it opens up on my second or third display?.....is that possible at all?

Hi, Rob,

Sorry I didn't answer sooner.  I don't have a multi-monitor setup so I'm not very familiar w/ how they work.  But: If it is an extended desk top, perhaps the window_pos variable would work -- it's more precise than just picking one of the available positions.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Set everything as you want it but DONT close them.  Leave everything open as you want it saved.  It should retain everything, including your flight plan if you wish just as you set everything.  When you load it will display everything as you saved it.  If you close the FMC panels, they will revert to their original state and you will have to reconfigure.

Set everything as you want it but DONT close them. Leave everything open as you want it saved. It should retain everything, including your flight plan if you wish just as you set everything. When you load it will display everything as you saved it. If you close the FMC panels, they will revert to their original state and you will have to reconfigure.

Finally had some time to try your suggestion.......which is saving a panel state with the popups where I want them rather than saving a flight with the popups as required.

correct?

That did not work :-(

I started from the default PMDG panel state (both engines running).

(FSX boots up on my 46" TV by the way in windowed mode)

Then I selected full screen mode from the FSX menu bar.

(at which point my 2nd and 3rd display go black (which is good and normal).

Situated on the runway I set up everything as required (flaps/switches/FMC/checklist/etc).

Next I moved the Capt PFD/ND/MCP/CDU and both EICAS to my other two 24" displays.

And finally I saved the panel state as is.

I closed FSX, created new 777 flight, let the 777 load, changed to full screen mode again and then I selected the previously saved panel state.

The 2D pop ups opened up on the TV just like they always do :-(

The only thing that was saved was the size of the panel states which is half the work, so that is a good thing :-)

Are you sure this is supposed to work....have you tried it in full screen FSX mode and more than one display?

Rob Robson

Naaaaaa.....I tried some more.......but as soon as you close FSX and reboot into a saved panel states all 2D popups are right back at default.

I dont think it is a bug though because as far as I know a panel state will just save the state the aircraft was in.....not the state FSX was in (like windowed mode/fullscreen mode and how many windows (or 2D popups) you have open or their size).

I will try Mike777s method now.

Rob Robson

I do it all the time. and yes the windows have to be undocked in order for it to save them this way. You will have to have multiple saved games (for every different livery you fly in if you want each and every plane to react the same way). when in the aircraft you want (say at the end of your flight) with the panels in the position you want save the game. once you restart your sim and select that saved game. the panels will be there. even on multiple monitors. if you try to go into a previous game where the you haven't done this. they will not change places miraculously. as far as making them open up on multiple monitors. yes they will. just don't click the close box to make them disappear. if you want to close them just click on the panel itself to make it return to its normal position. clicking on the panel again will re-open it in the position you selected

I use full screen mode....not windowed so I can not undock.

Full screen = all displays black (except the main FSX window ofcourse....I like that better then seeing window borders and desktop background.

Note:Full screen mode still allows the 2D popup to be dragged to the other (black) displays!

Just a matter of taste though.

Rob Robson

Back at my FS computer and did a little experimenting.  Going into the panel.cfg file and setting position = [ number 1-8] does move the popup window around.  You can also position a popup more precisely by using instead "window_pos=x,y", where x is a percent of the horizontal length of the screen and y is a percent of the vertical length of the screen.

However the "visible" variable doesn't seem to do anything, probably as we are in VC mode.  So you still have to click on the panel DU or use Shift-X to get the popup to show.  But it pops up where you want it.

This also works with the CDUs and almost certainly w/ any other popup windows.

These changes will work w/ any new load of a T7, and don't involving reloading a particular flight or undocking windows.

Here is the entry for the upper center display screen (EICAS):

-----------------------------------

// Zoomed Upper DU

//

[Window09]

size_mm=555, 555

window_size = 0.28906, 0.46250

window_pos=0.6,0.5 // <<PLACES THE UPPER LEFT CORNER ABOUT 6/10 ACROSS AND 1/2 DOWN.

//position=5  //<<NOTE THIS IS COMMENTED OUT TO AVOID CONFUSION AND UNCERTAINTY.

visible=1 //0 <<DOESN'T SEEM TO DO ANYTHING IN VC.

ident=412

zorder=95

gauge00=PMDG_777X!DU, 10, 10, 535, 535, 1 UPPER #13 ZOOM

------------------------------------

Mike

Thx for leading the way here:-)

I have made some progress.

Although I have not been able to edit the "Panel:cfg" file so that the pops open up to my other 2 displays per default, I have been able to:

1) resize (which is a lot of work if you have to do so before each flight).

2) have 2D popup open at a more convenient position WITHIN the main FSX panel (I drag from there)

3) enlarged the black border around the 2D popups so they are easier to drag around

4) change the priority of what 2D popup open on top of another 2D pop and what open below (hidden).

Here is my changed Capt PFD:

// 
// Zoomed Left Outboard DU
//
[Window07]
size_mm=570, 570-------------------this increases the black border around the PFD for easier dragging (was 555)
window_size = 0.32, 0.54-----------increased size + changed ratio PFD is larger but still square on my 1080 display
position=3
window_pos=0.50,0.80-------------makes the PFD open up at 50% from left of the main FSX window and 80%  
visible=0                                         from the top. All I have to do from there is drag the thing down to my 3rd      
ident=410                                          monitor :-)
zorder=95----------------------------order of what lies on top (1-100). I changed my MCPs from 83 to 96 so they are                                                       always on top of the PFD/ND (zorder 95) when opened up. Of course this blocks                                                     the PFD/ND partially, but it is only so I can easily get to the MCP borders for                                                            resizing/dragging..

Rob Robson

I have made some progress.

Although I have not been able to edit the "Panel:cfg" file so that the pops open up to my other 2 displays per default, I have been able to:

1) resize (which is a lot of work if you have to do so before each flight).

2) have 2D popup open at a more convenient position WITHIN the main FSX panel (I drag from there)

3) enlarged the black border around the 2D popups so they are easier to drag around

4) change the priority of what 2D popup open on top of another 2D pop and what open below (hidden).

Here is my changed Capt PFD:

//
// Zoomed Left Outboard DU
//
[Window07]
size_mm=570, 570-------------------this increases the black border around the PFD for easier dragging (was 555)
window_size = 0.32, 0.54-----------increased size + changed ratio PFD is larger but still square on my 1080 display
position=3
window_pos=0.50,0.80-------------makes the PFD open up at 50% from left of the main FSX window and 80%
visible=0 from the top. All I have to do from there is drag the thing down to my 3rd
ident=410 monitor :-)
zorder=95----------------------------order of what lies on top (1-100). I changed my MCPs from 83 to 96 so they are always on top of the PFD/ND (zorder 95) when opened up. Of course this blocks the PFD/ND partially, but it is only so I can easily get to the MCP borders for resizing/dragging..

Hi, Rob,

I hadn't experimented with Z order, so this is good to know.  Also, thanks for the idea about resizing the window so that there is a bigger border to "grab" around the popup.

One thing I would suggest:  comment out the "position= ??" variable like this: "//position= ??" as that is telling FSX something that contradicts the window_pos variable and might cause problems.  I would guess that placing "position=" after "window_pos=" would cause  "position" to override "window_pos", causing endless annoyance.  Or you could just delete the whole line.

The "visible= " variable, if set to 1, makes the window open on startup.  But unfortunately this only seems to work if you start in (2D) cockpit view.

Also want to add, regarding resizing a gauge, that the variables for the gauge itself position the gauge within the gauge window.  In the gauge below (from the same popup window07), 10,10 positions the gauge 10 mm in and 10 mm down from the top of the window; the first 535 is the width of the gauge, the second is the height of the gauge. 

gauge00=PMDG_777X!DU, 10, 10, 535, 535, 1 LEFT_OUTBD #11 ZOOM

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2