Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

FSX Steam Edition terrain.dll crash

See details below. It only seems to happen with DX10 and the DX10Fixer.

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62607.0, time stamp: 0x548b7186
Faulting module name: terrain.dll, version: 10.0.62607.0, time stamp: 0x548b71c0
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0008fb36
Faulting process id: 0xa84
Faulting application start time: 0x01d01c8abfcffc81
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\terrain.dll
Report Id: fe93ac73-887e-11e4-81db-001fbc02953f
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

The crash happens with default aircraft at random times during a flight. I have ORBX Global, ORBX Vector and FS2010 Global Mesh installed under Win 8.1. All are the most recent versions. FSX SE in DX9 is fine. The FSX CD version is not installed.

According to my research, the terrain.dll CTD usually indicates high scenery/terrain setting, especially Autogen in FSX/P3D. In your case, the DX10 Fixer may not be completely compatible with SE as it has to modify the general10.fx (used for DX10 only). In FSX, many had this issue when trying to modify the general10.fx. I think it has something to do with sharing. At least you have it narrowed down to DX10.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim. It doesn't happen all the time, so I'll try turning down some of the IQ settings.

Now get this:If it takes a long time to select the alternative aircraft, when I am eventually returned to the Free Flight screen, I exit FSX. Then I re-start FSX and select a different aircraft it is loaded within seconds and I get back to my Free Flight screen. I then click on the Fly Now button and VOILA a trouble free flight of many hours - to date 3 hours without BSOD. Since adopting this procedure I have yet to experience the problem.Additional Notes:I do not access the in flight menu options during my flight - I don't know if this is significant, i don't do it just in case. Besides, it makes the flying experience more realistic as there is no menu in a real aircraft!I have had to sacrifice my dual screen set up as that seemed to cause the problem in spite of my 'cure'.I have not backed-off any of my sliders. I don't know if this helps anyone out there, but it costs nothing to try. I would be interested to know why this might have cured my problems.

Well, this old post regarding FSX seems to point out a way around it and it works for me for FSX-SE, for the same unknown reason. Even with this, I'm not confident that the bug won't return.

Hasnt ORBX stated their libraries need to be updated to work reliably with FSX:SE?

It's very possible, but I thought that ObjectFlow was the only thing not working in FSX-SE.

So you are confirming that you are getting the same error? Do you have any ORBX add-ons installed? 

I have the same problem, crashing of FSX SE, after certain time. I have only installed ORBX Global. 

Good morning from Germany.. I have the same problem with CTD related to terrain.dll. And also i habe FTX GLobal, Vector and Open LC installed. Hope it´s a problem with OrbX(Libs) and it will fixed soon.

Yeaahh .. ^ i have global , vector and openLC too ... It could be the problem ...

FYI : I was getting terrain.dll error too -__-

I am having the exact same issue with a completely stock install of the Steam version. I have not added a single aircraft or addon to it yet, but still get this terrain.dll crash. Oddly for me the last time it done it the aircraft was in the middle of the Atlantic so not much in the way of scenery to load.

Hmmm. And I thought it was only me. It appears to be something inherent in FSX-SE. Others in this thread are getting the same error without DX10 and also without ORBX products installed.