Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

FSX Steam Edition terrain.dll crash

That sounds like someone had a bad tweak in the file and ran the bojote tweaks and it fixed one or more parameter. It's just hard for me to believe that a tweak made for older computer systems is fixing a problem in modern computer systems. If you have a system before the i7 CPU, then those tweaks might work effectively but one has to be very careful. If you do not know that the tweak does, then you shouldn't be putting the parameter into your configuration. Thanks to Bojote several years ago for helping us to get the most out of our old systems.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I've done all of above and still getting crashes, did the tweak with Bojote's, brought the autogen sliders back to normal, and still getting crashes with terrain.dll. On my honest opinion, its gotta have to do with the fsx software, that dll, is definitely corrupt...

I can confirm i was getting the same terrain.dll errors with fresh install of windows 7, fresh install of FSX SE, FTX GLobal, FTXVector and FSGlobal Ultimate. I have since re-installed FSX SE and FSGlobal Ultimate and have been flying for almost a week without errors. 

It's apparently a bug. I can't use FSX-SE anymore with all these CTDs, so I'm thinking of uninstalling it and going back to FSX Gold. I will keep watching this thread, though.

Jabloomf1230,

Do you get an objectflow.dll error as well when starting FSX:SE? I'm thinking there may be small incompatibilities between Orbx and FSX:SE that will have to get patched up.

I was going to move this over to the FSX Forum in hopes more people will see it and offer a fix but I moved a similar post this morning and you should watch that one on the FSX Forum for solutions.

I think one of the things you have to look at is, did this happen when you first installed FSX-SE and ran it in the default configuration? Most likely, the answer is no as there are only a few of you that are having this problem (there's another topic about this too in the FSX Forum). That's the way I look at things. If it happens in the default configuration, then I agree, there is a bug in the product but, if you have a lot of addons, tweaks, and high settings, then, you are moving a long way from having a default configuration and it could be anyone of those things you did after you first installed the product.

The AVSIM CTD Guide has suggestion for bringing your configuration back to the default, just to test to see if it is the basic product that is causing the problem. Rebuilding the config has been known for fixing a multitude of problems mainly because people throw tweaks into the config that are just not working. Tweaks might improve performance but I have yet to see any except those that give the user a placebo effect.

You can also try running Process Monitor with only FSX-SE and FSX-SE addons loading in the monitor. This is explained on page 4 of the AVSIM CTD Guide. All you would have to do is start up FSX-SE to the startup screen, then startup Process Monitor then configure it as explained in the guide. Once configured, you'll only see what is loading in the FSX-SE. As soon as you get an error, you need to write down the time. Then, you can go back and look at the Process Monitor log and see what was loading just before the crash. It will not solve your problem but it will give you a clue as to the product(s) that are possibly the culprits. Disable those and try again.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

is Vector buggy? I have sen a decrease in simulator performance ever since installing it

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I do not own that product so cannot advise. Seems like I have seen a lot of "issues" though.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Terrain.dll appcrash here as well.  What a shame.  I was trying to test the VAS usage with the PMDG 777-300ER on a DFW-HKG flight.  It happened about 4 hours into the flight in northern CAN.  I have FTX Global and Vector installed.  Objectflow.dll had been removed from my DLL.XML file due to errors. I have autogen and scenery complexity set to Dense.

Ryan Kelly

you could verify the integrity of game cache via  steam  local  in game property ,  it did not mess with anything in my case , but  back up  just in case.

fix a lot  of  bug after miss manipulating  different  files

Had the terrain.dll crash also. Bummer. My only installed add-on into FSX:SE is the PMDG777. Crashed about 5 hours into a flight between FACT to VRMM.

Not funny at all, as the PMDG seem to be working flawlessly for me with great performance to boot. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Me too. It just happened to me with a long flight with the PMDG 777 and all ORBX stuff from Dubai to Kuala Lumpur. Maybe its random, because this morning I did a flight from Istanbul to Dubai and landed safely.  

No VAS problems BTW.

========================

HAPPY FLYING

Raymond

I've too have been dealing with terrain.dll crashes for a while now.

FSX:SE Headaches:
Have been struggling to remedy terrain.dll (mostly) crashes after 60-90 minutes of flying. Happens every time. Tried undoing everything I had done (like ORBX stuff manually copied over, correct entries in dll\exe files), went back to original textures...sigh. Nothing has worked...so on a second computer (AMD based) I was able to install (thank you STEAM) a fresh new FSX:SE. I then copied the entire FSX:SE directory onto a USB drive. Went over to main FS system (Intel based) and replaced FSX:SE content with the new files. Was unable to rename the FSX Steam folder so had to simply over write the root folders/files. Also cleaned out any 3rd party files. Of course I brought over the new ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX:SE data and the C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Microsoft\FSX:SE\stuff. Deleted the FSXSE.cfg and the shaders and started the whole mess up. Amazing, it started and ran.

Am now 170 miles from LOWI (Innsbruck) after departing Belfast. Am getting anxious as the miles tick away and decent is imminent, which is when the crashes have occured.  
If this bombs out I will dump it, cuz FSX and P3D2.4 run great.

Later: Completed the 780nm flight to LOWI. Completed a 150nm flight into KMDW. Currently flying B787 <BDL-STL>. This is a route that would never arrive at the destination before crashing. Will report upon arrival or crash.

It crashed...400nm from STL. Going to jump out the window into the snow (all two inches). 

Later: Now on my AMD system (the one with the fresh new install, unscathed by any addons) took a flight from KSEA-KSLC. Crash! Terrain.dll again. 

That is two separate systems that go boom after a couple hundred miles flying across North America. Not sure about that LOWI flight so will fly some more in Europe. 

So much for dumping it, am obsessed with finding solution. Meanwhile short hops are no trouble at all.

Cheers,

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Greg,

You can try running Bojote's tweaks to the fsx.cfg. For whatever reason, my crash frequency with terrain.dll/g3d.dll has dropped dramatically after putting in those tweaks. I can't explain why.

Greg,

You can try running Bojote's tweaks to the fsx.cfg. For whatever reason, my crash frequency with terrain.dll/g3d.dll has dropped dramatically after putting in those tweaks. I can't explain why.

Yea, I may do that Daniel. Currently am flying Milan-Heathrow with no Ai aircraft - saw a post about possible issues with those, so trying everything. Thanks and good luck to all of us!  

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.