Sign in to follow this  
Tony C

Nav Button not working

I had a problem today in that my NAV button on the panel didn't work. The HDG button operated fine and I had to "manually" fly the plan using the HDG knob.

It was the first time I tried to use the FMC on the J41 so maybe it had something to do with that?

Also if you use the FMC is there a map option that works on this aircraft? The only screens I got were standard Arc or VOR/ILS  screens.

To make matters worse my autopilot decided to switch off and would not allow itself to be reconnected as I was in the final descent to intercept the ILS so I had to hand fly the interception and approach. Not sure what I did wrong but does anyone have some advice?

All replies greatly appreciated!

301200 - Global + Vector, 303039 - Open LC EU + England, 317055 - Scotland, 325640 - Southampton, 345294 - Wales, 350530 - Ireland, 378458 - Norway, 379681 - Sumburgh, 406229 - Open LC North America, Alaska and Canada, 439617 - Australia SP4, 447800 - NZ North Island, 447804 - NZ South Island

if that happens to me its usually my MCOS (motherboard battery) is dying or dead. just switch that out. Another possibility is that you didnt enter everything correctly into the fMC and was off intercept course. the way you can see if your battery is dead is usually the time and date. if those are off its dead and you should change it. Hope this helps.

All replies greatly appreciated!

Please do read the Introduction and fly the Tutorial, all the basics of the 'buttonology' can be found there. Yes there is a map mode, it is the LNAV mode and the FMS is a little awkward at first so be sure to use the documents for assist.

Also, PMDG requires names on our posts here. Thanks.

Dan Downs KCRP

I had a problem today in that my NAV button on the panel didn't work. The HDG button operated fine and I had to "manually" fly the plan using the HDG knob.

There is an LNAV button above standby instruments. You need to press this twice (once temporarily displays the LNAV needles, the second permanently displays them and changes the autopilot NAV mode to LNAV), you will also need to make sure the appropriate FROM and TO are selected on the FMS NAV page. To switch back to VOR/ILS radio navigation press V/L twice.

if you use the FMC is there a map option that works on this aircraft? The only screens I got were standard Arc or VOR/ILS  screens.

Use the FULL/MAP button (again, above the standby instruments) until you get ARC mode up, then you might need to press LNAV again to get the MAP. The zoom/range control is on the weather radar display. The only waypoint labelled is the one set as TO in the FMS.

Please do read the Introduction and fly the Tutorial, all the basics of the 'buttonology' can be found there.

He's right ya know, you really should complete the included tutorial otherwise you are very likely to struggle.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Thanks so much guys that is all really helpful.

I have only just returned to the J41 so the relearning curve has been acute.

Many thanks again to you all, a happy Xmas and healthy New Year to you all.

Tony

301200 - Global + Vector, 303039 - Open LC EU + England, 317055 - Scotland, 325640 - Southampton, 345294 - Wales, 350530 - Ireland, 378458 - Norway, 379681 - Sumburgh, 406229 - Open LC North America, Alaska and Canada, 439617 - Australia SP4, 447800 - NZ North Island, 447804 - NZ South Island

Full names here, gents. Please. I really don't want to be the bad guy here, but if people don't start following that rule, posts are going to start disappearing. RSR has outlined the action. I've been a little soft on the uptake to give people time to adjust, but it's going to get to that point quickly if people don't shape up.

Full name (first - last) at the bottom of your post, or configured through the signature function or posts evaporate.

Kyle Rodgers