Sign in to follow this  
klamal

GTX 970 w/ Asus P67 Pro rev3

Hello. Does anyone know if I can put a GTX 970 in this mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131703 ? I'm looking at ordering one today if I can figure out for sure that it will work...

It's a ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS in case the link doesn't work. I know it won't perform as good as if it were in a newer mobo, but still hoping it will be big improvement over my 560ti. Also, I run i5 2500k OC'd to 4.2 I believe.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

It will work, I have a P8Z68-V board with an i7-2700K and just got the Gigabyte GTX 970 G1.

Go get that card, it´s a beast, it´s quiet and overclocks like crazy!

Did you notice any difference by going to a 970? I have an i5 2500k OC to 4.6 and I'm considering going to a 970 from a 560 ti. My frames are decent as it is right now. 12-20 at busy airports. 30 plus anywhere else.  just curious of what gains I would get from a video card upgrade

Did you notice any difference by going to a 970? I have an i5 2500k OC to 4.6 and I'm considering going to a 970 from a 560 ti. My frames are decent as it is right now. 12-20 at busy airports. 30 plus anywhere else. just curious of what gains I would get from a video card upgrade

I ordered mine today...next day shipping so I should have it installed by Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest. I'll post my impressions.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

i7 2700K at 4.4 Ghz - GTX 970 default clock.

Got rid of stutters which I had with the 6970. How many frames I actually gained I don´t care too much about, this is not an ordinary "FPS Game" - you can have a nice sim experience even at 26 FPS, if it´s smooth.

I noticed you locked your fps. I've tried that with half refresh rate and my frames were terrible. So I "forced on" my refresh rate and run on unlimited and seems to work much better. Which doesn't makes sense to me because everyone posts that running it locked at 30 works best. And yes I have a 60hz moniter

Yes I've gone through the guide. I really don't get why I get better performance on unlimited frames. I've wondered if my video card bottlenecks my oc i5 2500k at 4.6. This is why I'm curious what gains I would get from a 970. Smoother and better looking game? I get bad studders at any new york airports. I can get 20 frames at o'hare studder free. Will I notice a bit difference upgrading to a 970? Very curious what the OP gets as his build is similar to mine

I just got my card today and installed it.  I only had time for one quick flight from FlyTampa EKCH to Aerosoft's ESSA.  I haven't done enough research and trial and error yet to find the best settings.  So, initially, I'm using DSR at 2x, 33% smoothing, frames unlimited with ground shadows for vegetation, cloud shadows, most sliders either all the way right or a notch left.  Sorry, I am not in front of my pc now to be more specific.  I'm not a big FPS watcher...the few times I did check at the airports, i would dip into the low 20's.  But, having said that, overall, the flight was almost completely smooth.  Much better than my 560ti.  As I said, still have to experiment yet and find the sweet spot here with this card...I'll keep those interested updated...

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Smoothness is definitely a good thing. How is it visually? Any improvements?

Well, I don't know that you'd really see improvements visually.  At least I'm not sure what you mean by that.  I can add more eye candy, that's for sure.  Though, I've been flying up in Scandinavia so far and it is mostly dark there(wrong time of year for Orbx to release FTX Norway LOL).  So, I haven't really gotten to enjoy vegetation shadows yet.  That's really the only thing that I've added so far with the new card.  The rest is just sliders that are tweaked more to the right.

So, visually, things are beautiful but they were w/ the 560ti too i thought.  P3D in general is just gorgeous!  Now, I can enjoy it almost totally stutter free.  It's amazing what a difference in feeling it makes when you fly through clouds and get low to the ground and still stay smooth.  That totally helps with the immersion.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Well, I don't know that you'd really see improvements visually. At least I'm not sure what you mean by that. I can add more eye candy, that's for sure. Though, I've been flying up in Scandinavia so far and it is mostly dark there(wrong time of year for Orbx to release FTX Norway LOL). So, I haven't really gotten to enjoy vegetation shadows yet. That's really the only thing that I've added so far with the new card. The rest is just sliders that are tweaked more to the right.

So, visually, things are beautiful but they were w/ the 560ti too i thought. P3D in general is just gorgeous! Now, I can enjoy it almost totally stutter free. It's amazing what a difference in feeling it makes when you fly through clouds and get low to the ground and still stay smooth. That totally helps with the immersion.

Interesting. You might have to change your time and season to enjoy Norway lol. What about autogen and texture loading? Did that improve?

Interesting. You might have to change your time and season to enjoy Norway lol. What about autogen and texture loading? Did that improve?

Definitely.  I would notice it with the 560Ti.  Now, it's not even something I think about.  Autogen, I have my detail radius set to max or whatever the far right setting is.  So, inside that radius, I don't notice any autogen loading or popping(though I think this is again something P3D itself solves already and not a benefit from the card).  Sorry.  I'm maybe not the best person to give in depth reviews.  :)  I just change settings around until I find the best eye candy/visual experience with smooth flight.  So far, there hasn't been a setting I've thrown at this that has caused it to ruin the smooth experience overall.

Going to do a flight now from Aerosoft ESSA to FsDreamteam LSZH(a "heavy" airport for me w/ the old card in FSX).  So, we'll see how this performs there...

Regards,

Kevin LaMal