Sign in to follow this  
Mike777

FSX Steam and Level-D Installation

Hi, everyone,

FSX:MS=original MS version of FSX

FSX:SE=Steam version of FSX

I want to report that I succeeded in installing the Level-D 767 in FSX:SE.  I have a dual FSX:MS & FSX:SE setup.  I started the install file, and pointed it to the correct FSX:SE folder.  After install, I needed to copy the entry for the Level-D from the original FSX:MS DLL.XML file (in C:\Users\[Your Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX) to the FSX:SE DLL.XML file in  ...\FSX-SE .  You might want to back up your DLL.XML file in FSX:SE just to be on the safe side.

I did a loop around SFO and an autoland at R28R w/ no real issues except that I had to tell FSX to turn on my joystick.  Very smooth but no addon scenery yet and only default AI traffic at this point.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

If only i knew what the entries should say. I am on a new install of SE after a fresh rebuild. Any change you would PM me what they say in your DLL.XML? 

NM got it.

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Level-D Simulations</Name>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>Modules\LVLD.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>

If only i knew what the entries should say. I am on a new install of SE after a fresh rebuild. Any change you would PM me what they say in your DLL.XML?

NM got it.

Hi, Scotty,

Just for you and everyone else, you need to find the DLL.XML file, in C:\Users\[Your Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE .

In a dual install of FSX:MS and FSX:SE, I believe the installer doesn't find the correct address and file as I just gave it, even though you can point the installer to the correct location of FSX:SE.  This may or may not be a problem on a computer with FSX:SE only. 

Here is what the entry in DLL.XML should look like:

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Level-D Simulations</Name>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>Modules\LVLD.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>

If it's there everything should be good.  If it's not, copy this entry and paste it into DLL.XML. Back up the DLL.XML file first.  You can edit it with notepad.  In that file you will see a bunch of entries starting with "<Launch.Addon ..." and ending with "</Launch.Addon>"  Make sure you paste the new entry on a new line right at the end of an entry ending with "</Launch.Addon>". 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Ok tried it last night, and got the plane to load. The MCP is dead though, just blacked out.  Thanks though, one step closer.

Ok tried it last night, and got the plane to load. The MCP is dead though, just blacked out. Thanks though, one step closer.

Hi, Scotty,

Did you install the Level D by running the installer (actually two installers, the second is for the winglet version)? It is possible to point the installer exes to the FSX:SE folder instead of the normal FSX folder.

Also, it is possible that something doesn't work right if you don't have FSX:MS (the original FSX) installed on the same computer. I can't tell as I have a dual installation.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Another thing that occurred to me: If FSX:SE is installed in a subfolder of a Programs folder you might need to run it or the Level D installer using "Run as administrator."

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Mike,

Was wondering if your LVLD is shown as SE in the control panel "uninstall and change program"?  I have installed Razbam metroliiner and edited the fsx.se dll file but I am not sure there is an easy method to uninstall since there is no evidence in the control panel, only the fsx is shown not the razbam for SE.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Was wondering if your LVLD is shown as SE in the control panel "uninstall and change program"?

Hi, Carl,

Away from my FSX computer until Wednesday. I'll take a look when I get back.

Ok tried it last night, and got the plane to load. The MCP is dead though, just blacked out. Thanks though, one step closer.

Scotty, did you ever get it working? How are FSX:MS & FSX:SE installed?

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Anybody able to get LEVD working in windows 8

nebojsa

Hi, Carl,

Away from my FSX computer until Wednesday. I'll take a look when I get back.

Scotty, did you ever get it working? How are FSX:MS & FSX:SE installed?

Mike

No same as before. Just ran the "winglet" 1.01 and same deal. MCP doesn't light up at all. Will wait for hopefully a fix.

No same as before. Just ran the "winglet" 1.01 and same deal. MCP doesn't light up at all. Will wait for hopefully a fix.

Hi, Scotty,

Another possibility may be a missing simconnect.dll. There are several versions, but I believe FSX:SE does not install most of them. Apparently it is safe to install several; that is the case on my FSX computer. Mine may be working because some simconnect.dlls were installed by FSX:MS and at least one by FSX:SE. You can tell which are installed by looking in Control Panel.

I am no expert on Simconnect, but take a look at the following:

A thread which discusses simconnect; see especially post#9:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/423835-in-search-of-simconnect-v61612590/

See also this thread on FSX:SE, post #19:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/458524-fsx-se-incompatibility-thread/page-2

FSX:SE provides installers for several "legacy" versions of simconnect. They are subfolders of:

...\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces

In each subfolder you run simconnect.msi .

Mike

Was wondering if your LVLD is shown as SE in the control panel "uninstall and change program"?

Hi, Carl,

Only one version of the Level-D showing in Uninstall Programs, even though I have it running in both FSX:MS and FSX:SE. Also, it gets confused about where to find some files such as panel states.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I reinstalled Simconnect.msi to get my track IR working, after installed FSX:SE.  But I only ran one installer. Interesting that there are more,

Also i should mention this is a singular install not a dual with MSFSX.  Thanks Mike ill try those additional simconnect files.

Thanks Mike, for verifying only one install showing although we both have dual installs.  When I used the FSDT and Flight beam new installers I do show FSX and FSX-SE sceneries installed. So in that case it should not be any problem if I have to uninstall.  

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________