Sign in to follow this  
Shadow47

Glideslope Approach?

I just completed a test flight from EGLL to EIDW, on approach I thought everything was good until I started to prepare for catching the glideslope.After searching the internet for the glideslope altitude I found nothing, i hit the VOR LOC but it turns my aircraft right around the other way, and so I had to land manually.

Is there a certain website that everyone finds their glideslope altitudes and runway information? if so, a link would be very appreciated :) 

Also, is there a website for finding SIDS and STARS in a flight plan to enter in the FMC? 

Thanks

(The aircraft used was a PMDG 777) 

Jamie

It sounds like you didn't have the instrument plate for the approach you were trying to fly...otherwise, you'd know the GS intercept altitude.

Approach plates can be downloaded here: fltplan.com or SkyVector.com.

Grab the plate you need and study it so you are comfortable with it.

I made a few 737NGX training videos on how to fly the perfect ILS approach on my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/rfresh1011

After searching the internet for the glideslope altitude I found nothing, i hit the VOR LOC but it turns my aircraft right around the other way, and so I had to land manually.

Jamie

Almost sounds as if you had the wrong frequency for the LOC in your nav radio. I have run into this by using the wrong LOC or by forgetting to hit the BC button when trying to line up on a backcourse...

I just completed a test flight from EGLL to EIDW, on approach I thought everything was good until I started to prepare for catching the glideslope.After searching the internet for the glideslope altitude I found nothing, i hit the VOR LOC but it turns my aircraft right around the other way, and so I had to land manually.

Is there a certain website that everyone finds their glideslope altitudes and runway information? if so, a link would be very appreciated :) 

Also, is there a website for finding SIDS and STARS in a flight plan to enter in the FMC? 

Thanks

(The aircraft used was a PMDG 777) 

Jamie

Did you change the ILS freq.? On the PMDG Airplane's FMC. I found out that the ILS freq. that the PMDG automatically loads into it could be different than the freq. in the FSX, Where you should go to the map and check the ILS freq. in FSX, then change it in the NAV option in the FMC. Then tpye in the ILS freq. in the format of _ _ _._ _/ _ _ _ as "Freq/Heading". Say the frequency is 111,9 and heading is 10, it would be typed in as 111.90/010 then try it again!

Did you change the ILS freq.?

Yep, the FSX freq for Dublin is 108.90, the current freq is 111.35 (Runway 28). A good website for checking the FSX inbult frequencies is FSXDB.com (FSX database). FSX is over 7 years old, a lot of frequencies have changed over the years.

Eugene

Check the bottom of an approach plate. it gives you a 2D view of the vertica approach path. You should find the interception altitude there.

Make sure to not be too far above this as you then can get a false glideslope reading which could potentially turn out to be a fatal threat.