Sign in to follow this  
OSJJ1985

Getting a new PC (obviously looking to boost FSX performance)

Hey guys,

Next week I'm off investing in a new Computer.

Here are a few things to consider

1) It's starting point (stock without upgrades) should be significantly better than my current PC (especially show a good difference in FSx compared to my current PC)

2) The upper spending limit is €600 (I found two I'd like to compare here and get some suggestions)

My current PC:

Intel Core 2 Q6600 2,4 GHz

3 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD4850 512 MB

Win XP SP3

PC1:

AMD FX4300 3,8 GHz

GeForce GTX750 1GB

8 GB RAM

WIndows 8.1 64-Bit

PC2:

Intel Core i5-4460 3,2 GHz

GeForce GTX750 1GB

8 GB RAM

Windows 8.1 Update (whatever that means.... don't know if that's even 64-Bit)

Both Computer are tagged at €599. Furthermore I will add that PC1 has a 600W power supply (don't know about PC2), which I guess speaks for it's upgradability.

I'm focused on PC1. Is it worth going from my current PC to PC1 for that price?

Thanks and regards,

Aviara

Pc2 all day, however don't expect too much from it

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

A couple of points I'd make. Firstly, I'd really research the suitability of Win 8 for FSX. There have been more than a few reports of issues with this OS when used for FSX. That said, there have also been reports of others with no issues. However, if the machine is going to be used solely for FSX then I would highly advise you dump Win 8 and go for Win 7, for one reason and one reason only, it has proved to be an extremely compatible and reliable OS for FSX. Other point, go with what Charlatan has said regarding the PC, do not consider an AMD processor, Intel all the way. As for the GPU, while FSX is CPU bound, only small increases in performance can be seen with a GPU upgrade. However, I would highly recommend you reconsider the memory of the card, you could well end up with memory issues with only 1Gb. perhaps reconsider a 1.5-2Gb card. The 3.2GHz processor is a little slow to be honest if you're not going to overclock. To get the best of FSX with the latest addons you really need to OC beyond 4GHz. Perhaps you could consider this? Just one more point if I may, I would say be realisitic with your expectations. While you will see a reasonable improvement on your old setup, don't expect too much. Also, don't be afraid to turn down settings in the FSX slider panel. Have a great Christmas and new year :smile:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

The problem is that I'm searching to get an all new Computer (not upgrade my current one) with EVERYTHING (including OS) new and my available budget is not that high (€600). Unfortunately they both come with already installed Windows 8.1!

As mentioned my goal is to get a decent PC with a decent step forward in it's "out of the box" setting, yet at the same time has potential for upgrades, without having to replace things like power supply in the process. I'm the FSX-simmer that wants to go anywhere with good traffic, ASN and VC. I also tend to use AFCAD-only files for airport upgrades. This way I can fly anywhere to anywhere with little to none "quality gaps". I do some little add-on improvents here and there, but not the huge PMDG type of ones. Btw the PC will not solely be used for FSX. I also enjoy other Simulations like Kerbal Space Program, Tycoon type of games, etc...!

So in a nutshell it should be a step forward in it's "out of the box" setting that will be upgraded bit by bit during time.

Hmm, OK, then I would still suggest it will be necessary to OC to get, certainly from my point of view, reasonable performance. If you don't OC then I'm sure you'll be happy with your upgrade, providing you're not expecting too much.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

You might want to investigate FSX.se as I believe Dove Tail stated its 8.1 compatible

ZORAN

Spec wise, PC2 will be better than what you currently use, but FSX really needs to run at 4 GHz or faster CPU speed.  I'm at 3.8 GHz with my Core2Quad 9650 and it is just barely adequate for the level of details that I find acceptable.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I guess I'll take it slow and focus on the roots (mainboard, power supply) more for now and keep the rest more basic and open for upgrade yet still be an upgrade compared to my current PC.

Any ideas what a good combo would be that if possible doesn't go above €800 (if possible) altogether?

Guest JustanotherPilot

I've just completed a new rebuild from a  I7-2600 CPU on one computer and a  A10-6800K CPU on another. Of those two, the intel i7 performed much better  than the A10, even with a clock speed of 3.4ghz against the 4.0ghz on the A10. My NEW computer consists of an i7-4790K, with a dedicated Samsung Evo SSD for FSX,  with 750W Thermaltake PSU, I also upgraded my MOBO to and Asus Z97 Gryphon,all computers were running DDR3 1333 ram, on Win 7 64 bit prof.. The difference the 4790K makes is leaps and bounds ahead, I have the sliders maxed out on FSX and P3Dv2.4 and am getting a solid 30fps.

If the budget allows I would suggest your PC2 option with consideration to upgrade it to the 4790K CPU  - you will not be disappointed, as suggested I would research win 8 suitability. My system consists of  the CPU, MOBO, SSD, a seagate 3TB sata 3 7200HDD for the operating system, Thermaltake V21 750W case with extra cooling(not water). My total cost was $A940 or 625 euros, 490 GBP, I used my existing monitor and ram.

Strongly consider building you own system, there numerous videos and tutorials available, this way you get the system you want, a lot cheaper than you would buy assembled plus the added satisfaction of having done it yourself.

Hope this helps.

Can you build your own?  You would see a lot better value if you do, and enable you to upgrade in the future.  You'll find most off the shelf PCs won't allow any upgrade path.  Where are you located?

If you can stretch to this http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/4DCFpg you should be able to clock it to 4.2ghz no problem at all, and will be night and day from the ones you listed.  You should then be able to pick up a Windows 7 from ebay for around £25-30

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Yes I'm capable of assembling my own PC. The assembly itself is no problem for me, it's also my prefered way to go (the only thing is I'm not that much of an expert on "what" is best to use, especially when it comes to mainboards, etc..). But I had the impression when browsing through various online shops from my local stores that it's more expensive, but then again, while I'm capable to assemble myself I have no experience when it comes to getting the right stuff and the right combination of devices. I live in Austria and unfortunately one of our best computer stores (DiTech) went bankrupt some time ago.... so I'm also having a hard time finding the right place.

Anyway I decided to build my own as I agree it will surely give the best result.

Thanks for all your suggestion, much appreciated and merry christmas :-)

From what I understand try to upgrade the GTX 750 card to something better like a x70 or x80, if you're going to go all out with the processor.  The 750 won't do so well when paired with a better processor.

That's my understanding anyways.

How about this one?

Intel i5-4690k @ 3.5 GHz

8 GB DDR3 RAM

GeForce GTX970 4GB

1 TB SATA III HD

630W power-supply

Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V mainboard

That's tagged at €1,050. Is that a good combination and can I save somerthing for later like e.g. 4GB RAM instead of 8GB or perhaps the videocard without losing too much performance?

How about this one?

Intel i5-4690k @ 3.5 GHz

8 GB DDR3 RAM

GeForce GTX970 4GB

1 TB SATA III HD

630W power-supply

Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V mainboard

That's tagged at €1,050. Is that a good combination and can I save somerthing for later like e.g. 4GB RAM instead of 8GB or perhaps the videocard without losing too much performance?

That would be fine.  Is that a prebuilt or you building it yourself?  If so swap the mobo for the Asus H81-Plus as its better for overclocking

UKV6427

It's a prebuilt, but I just used it as reference for the one I would configure myself. I found as decent webpage where I can configure my desired pc and they will send the parts.

How about swapping the GTX970 with a GTX760 as a start??