Sign in to follow this  
ricktorbe

It's been Real- I'm out

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've come to the conclusion that for right now, P3D is not for me. I have  just way too many FSX add-ons that won't work within P3D in an acceptable manner. And, as I kept adding more and more high-detailed aircraft and sceneries VAS filled in and killed it.    Yes, the sim is nice due to a more 'immersive feel' created by the clouds, shadows, and over all environment. However, it comes with a high price- works great only with low-end add-ons. ( works ok with high-end add-ons and low settings)

I am a huge fan of high-end add-ons, and full eye-candy... P3D won't let me do this, unfortunately.  I end-up with an almost instant OOM. Despite having tried many recommendations, it just doesn't fit my need- high performance and high "eye-candy."

I am sure P3D will get better and better. Hopefully  a 64bit version comes out or some other major improvement. Until then, I'll stay with FSX-DX10.  I am positive I'll be back; I will not hesitate upon seeing  more positive factors. A big thank you to everyone who pitched in to help me... I cannot thank you enough.

Merry Christmas... and a blessed new year !

Rick

Just curious what high end add-ons are you referring to?  The major sceneries developers like ORBX, FSDT, FlightBeam all have P3D version.  As for aircraft, I admit the only high end one is A2A at the moment.  Oops, I forgot that MJQ is also a high end developer, not to count the very good Aerosoft A3xx.  There are fewer add-ons, yes but certainly they are there.  My issue with P3Dv2 currently is the VAS usage, all those eye candies have a price.  My use of P3D is currently restricted to small plane VFR flying over ORBX regions, which perform better in P3Dv2 compared to FSX.  FSX is only for flying Jet right now for me.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

One product can't fit everyone needs. And furthermore, why changing if you're fine with what you have ?

You my friend, are correct. However, I wanted to try P3D.

Just curious what high end add-ons are you referring to?  The major sceneries developers like ORBX, FSDT, FlightBeam all have P3D version.  As for aircraft, I admit the only high end one is A2A at the moment.  Oops, I forgot that MJQ is also a high end developer, not to count the very good Aerosoft A3xx.  There are fewer add-ons, yes but certainly they are there.  My issue with P3Dv2 currently is the VAS usage, all those eye candies have a price.  My use of P3D is currently restricted to small plane VFR flying over ORBX regions, which perform better in P3Dv2 compared to FSX.  FSX is only for flying Jet right now for me.

98% of my flying are "tube-liners"  Mostly Aerosoft A321, BlackBox A330, PMDG full line of aircrafts, etc. I tried the MJQ. It's, a nice aircraft; however, that horrible spot view (set and static) they built into it, made me uninstall it the following day and burned it until no ashes were left. Why, why in the world would they encode that external static view? It's like a Lamborghini with 30 inch wheels- kills it. (Wana have a car with huge wheels? Buy a mule and a cart- nice big wheels)  LoL

Amazingly enough, I think that "fixed static spot view" for the Majestic Dash 8Q-400 has something to do with the custom FDE. Why that is the case is anyone's guess, but I would be delighted if someone could explain it to me.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The odds are that this view is the result of an incorrectly calculated radius entry in the aircraft's model (.mdl) header. When exported from the modeling program, occasionally the auto-calculated radius is wrong.

This is easily fixed using Arno's marvelous RADItor.exe utility* program. It takes less than a minute to fix.

RADItor is a small tool to adjust the radius (RADI) setting within a FSX or P3D v2 MDL file. Aircraft developers sometimes need to adjust this radius to make the aircraft show correctly in the aircraft selection window.

* http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/raditor.120/

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

My pc also suffers from OOM if setting the image quality/detail more than half way.

I know having 3 monitors as one wide outside view has a big influence on the VAS as also my photo scenery ( I only use photo scenery )

However I have ag set to sparse , not car/boat traffic , just 20% jet aircraft.

With FSX I was able to set all sliders to max and if I did not use a LOD radius above 5.5 I was able to fly from/to every addon airport I had.

And over photo scenery.

I really want P3D to succeed on my pc, but turning back the eyecandy so it starts to look like a stripped FSX is not what I had in mind when jumping to P3D.

The better image quality, cloud shadows and better performance were my reasons to make the jump from FSWX DX10 to P3Dv2.

@Fr. Bill : I use the Ifly CBE so no panel on my server. Do you think the RADItor.exe utility cab help ?

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

@Fr. Bill : I use the Ifly CBE so no panel on my server. Do you think the RADItor.exe utility cab help ?

I'm not sure your question is even relevant. RADItor.exe is good for one, and only one thing. If your aircraft is too small or too big in the Preview window, and/or too far away or too close in Spot View, then this tool will allow you to reset the half-wingspan (radius) to allow the camera system to function correctly.

The program is only run once to make a permanent adjustment to the RADI value.

Fr. Bill    

I'm not sure your question is even relevant. RADItor.exe is good for one, and only one thing. If your aircraft is too small or too big in the Preview window, and/or too far away or too close in Spot View, then this tool will allow you to reset the half-wingspan (radius) to allow the camera system to function correctly.

The program is only run once to make a permanent adjustment to the RADI value.

Sorry, I misunderstood what it was.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Sorry, I misunderstood what it was.

Not to worry! There can be many reasons why the RADI is miscalculated, but one of the most common is a single stray vertex that wound up very far away from the actual aircraft's mesh, and has gotten overlooked.

Another common cause is having such things as an animated drouge chute. The RADI value in this case will be incorrect because the calculation is based on the vertex furthest from the model's origin. This case is otherwise identical to the one above, albeit this time it is intentional and not accidental! :He He:

Fr. Bill    

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've come to the conclusion that for right now, P3D is not for me. I have  just way too many FSX add-ons that won't work within P3D in an acceptable manner. And, as I kept adding more and more high-detailed aircraft and sceneries VAS filled in and killed it.    Yes, the sim is nice due to a more 'immersive feel' created by the clouds, shadows, and over all environment. However, it comes with a high price- works great only with low-end add-ons. ( works ok with high-end add-ons and low settings)

I am a huge fan of high-end add-ons, and full eye-candy... P3D won't let me do this, unfortunately.  I end-up with an almost instant OOM. Despite having tried many recommendations, it just doesn't fit my need- high performance and high "eye-candy."

I am sure P3D will get better and better. Hopefully  a 64bit version comes out or some other major improvement. Until then, I'll stay with FSX-DX10.  I am positive I'll be back; I will not hesitate upon seeing  more positive factors. A big thank you to everyone who pitched in to help me... I cannot thank you enough.

Merry Christmas... and a blessed new year !

Rick

I have used P3D 2.2 since it was released and never changed to 2.3/2.4.  Surprisingly apparently, I have never had one OOM including in full cross-country flights until a day or two after I installed FSDT's Hawaiian Airports--so I uninstalled them and am back to normal.   I have lots of complex scenery, FTX stuff & FSDT's airports.

Something must be fundamentally different w/ our installations.   I have all scenery complexity & tessellation sliders hard right except for autogen & vegetation & one click left of maximum.  REX clouds are at 2048.  Presumably you aren't using PMDG stuff in P3D.  I'm using CoolSky's SuperMD 80 which while being dated is, IMO, the undisputed Queen of the performance:complexity ratio.  If you haven't installed it, you might give it a try.  

One excellent trick is to use FTX Global w/ complex airports for your tube liner flights out of complex 3PD airports, and switch to regionals w/ shorter hops in non-tubeliners.  Both RA Turbine Duke & Lancair Legacy are fabulous planes for those shorter flights thru FTX regional sceneries.   W/ tube liners, especially if you're using something like FSCaptain (AWESOME!!!) w/ GSX you don't have time to pay much attention to eye candy in FTX regionals, so you can pick up some VAS by using FTX Global only and save the FTX regionals for when you are flying low enough to appreciate the difference in eye candy.   This is a great way to get the best of both worlds, and they are different--the lower and slower flights, and the commercial tube liner flights.  

I loved the PMDG 777, but couldn't go back to FSX again after the huge improvement in total visuals you get w/ P3D V2.2 & above.  If you're getting OOMs quickly and aren't using PMDG birds I wonder if something's amiss, like the Hawaiian Airports type of issue I mentioned.   The weird part is I didn't even need to be near those--just installing them brought on OOMs which as I say I had yet to see including doing cross country flights in the QW757 & CS Super MD80.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

My only thought is you must have other programs running in the background that is using up your VAS. I run P3Dv2.4 at reasonably high settings. I exclusively fly Milviz, A2A, Aerosoft, and Majestic addons with Orbx scenery and 3rd party airports and never get OOMs. One thought is if you only fly tubeliners, disable any scenery you don't need for that flight.