Sign in to follow this  
ricktorbe

It's been Real- I'm out

I have used P3D 2.2 since it was released and never changed to 2.3/2.4.  Surprisingly apparently, I have never had one OOM including in full cross-country flights until a day or two after I installed FSDT's Hawaiian Airports--so I uninstalled them and am back to normal.   I have lots of complex scenery, FTX stuff & FSDT's airports.

Hi Noel, I hear you. I'm glad you're having a good experience. I battled with this long enough as it was getting me very exhausted.  Been especially busy at work. I tried a lot of stuff. And, honestly it works for me to a certain extent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simply put:

In the beginning it was all love and romance- like when one recently marries...everything is sweet and fun, and long weeks of none-stop exercise, etc,etc.  LoL   But then, started demanding more and more, and Sandy just gave up. ( I hope my wife doesn't read this)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem is I enjoy the large complex aircraft. I enjoy flying in bad weather and in high detailed sceneries. Under these circumstances it will black-out. And this is where it disappoints me. Of course wasn't maxing out all my settings; but if I reduce them too low then it's useless... If that were the case in my situation, I would be better off going to FS2002.  But then again,  detail and performance are one for me... and they must get along very well.

But hey, I'll be back. I'm sure P3D will only get better.

Smart move. I'm still daily amazed at the huge hassle people have to go through to get some sims running like it's 2014 (well almost 2015). Don't browse planes in the selection screen, pick scenario save that and then load that, tweak this, fix for vertical clouds that, unload unused scenery, turn off your pacemaker, put the dog out etc etc. And then still you have to preoccupied with VAAS, OOM, STTUUTTTEEERRRSSS and all that good stuff, even on $ 10,000 systems with 3 titans in there and > $ 1,000 cpu.

It's OLD software. While LM does a great job (which I supported by purchasing p3d) with the old software, it will probably take a good while before it's up to speed and into this century. It's a good thing to invest in the progress by purchasing p3d though, if you want to see it get there.

Meanwhile smart choice of you to stick with fsx for now. If you didn't have that much invested in addons, i'd suggest another sim that I currently enjoy ;) I installed it......uh, yeah thats basically it, no tweaks or nvidiainspector needed fort this 64 bit simming software.

Peace!

-Roland

bye

+1

To each his own. I actually don't understand why people have to tell the world that they stopped using a software. If you don't like it, just leave it.

But since so many people have to talk about not using a product anymore: I stopped using FSX because compared to Prepar3D it looks like crap. Just to let everybody know... ;-)

PS: It is no problem to do a tubeliner flight in the Aerosoft A320 from one complex add-on airport to the next with cloud shadows and dense autogen...

PPS: How someone could dislike the marvelous Majestic Q400 just because he doesn't like the spot view is really beyond my understanding. Maybe you should look for other "games" than flight sim...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

+1

To each his own. I actually don't understand why people have to tell the world that they stopped using a software. If you don't like it, just leave it.

But since so many people have to talk about not using a product anymore: I stopped using FSX because compared to Prepar3D it looks like crap. Just to let everybody know... ;-)

I never understand these threads either and don't know why anyone would want to tell a bunch of anonymous people that they don't personally know, that they are stopping using a piece of software. Although I also don't understand why some people on Facebook post everyone they make during the day.

Funny thing is these threads always go the same way. A few people chime in to say they are surprised because the said software is the bees knees and can't understand why anyone would leave it. Then the other camp chimes in and says they agree and are leaving it or have left the said software as well. You get a few "must be something wrong with your system" posts and for good measure a few "bye" post.

Since I don't know the OP from a can of paint, all I can say is happy trails dude and Happy Holidays.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

In defense of OP, I don't think he came across as pouty or petulant.  Forums like Avsim are not just about communicating joyous and mirthful praise.  Just like those that are quick to post how great their experience is, or why they are going to rush out and buy something, so too, do people want to communicate why they are giving up on something.  I've been following P3D for some time now, wondering whether it is at the stage where it can replace FSX for me, and these kinds of posts are helpful for me to make that determination.  After all, he said he would be back and looks forward to more positive things from P3D in the future.

In defense of OP, I don't think he came across as pouty or petulant.  Forums like Avsim are not just about communicating joyous and mirthful praise.  Just like those that are quick to post how great their experience is, or why they are going to rush out and buy something, so too, do people want to communicate why they are giving up on something.  I've been following P3D for some time now, wondering whether it is at the stage where it can replace FSX for me, and these kinds of posts are helpful for me to make that determination.

+1

If you read the OP's post, he wanted to thank everyone who helped him try and get P3D going on his system.

He was actually being polite in telling all those that helped that it just didn't quite work out and he was moving back to FSX.

Well done to the OP.  He's one of the very few that get on here and thank people for their assistance.

Hirdy

It is something of the X-Plane syndrome for me.  No matter how cool some of the 'new' stuff is, other products fall down in some way - like something as basic as the nav lights not working on the RealAir Duke Turbo.

Like the OP, I have come to like my FSX eye-candy and pretty solid performance with a few surprises that I can deal with.

Merry x-mas!

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

In defense of OP, I don't think he came across as pouty or petulant.  Forums like Avsim are not just about communicating joyous and mirthful praise.  Just like those that are quick to post how great their experience is, or why they are going to rush out and buy something, so too, do people want to communicate why they are giving up on something.  I've been following P3D for some time now, wondering whether it is at the stage where it can replace FSX for me, and these kinds of posts are helpful for me to make that determination.

I think those gentlemen are trying to hurt my feelings.  haha

Before they succeed in doing so, let me explain.

No where did I say P3D is no good- Nope!. It is in fact a great sim. However, the add-ons I have and the settings I prefer,  does not currently meet my expectations. And, in further defense, it could very well be my hardware causing troubles or it could be something behind the scenes eating up my VAS.

We could spend long hours discussing this; however, I'm not new to this. I'm not an expert either; but, I do have my little share of experience.

I am 100% positive P3D will get much better; thus, I fully support it. Much better hardware and software will  also come along which will help us a lot.  Currently,  I seem not to be ready ready for P3D. (or P3D is not ready for me) 

Hello all ( The way men do it)

Well, as per tradition I am sending out my goodbye post. Most of the people who I have come to know aren’t here anymore either...sniff, sniff.

I have seen many changes in the software from 2.0 - 2.4 and it 1st appeared to be very successful and promising.
The one thing that hasn’t changed over that time has been the feeling of not really flying. 
The culture that was set at the beginning is a testimony to this place, the feeling that you can express an idea, the can-do attitudes, the cooperation of all the simmers regardless of what still needs to be done, and oh! the inspiration you all have provided

Like it has been said before, it has been a pleasure to be part of this forum, but more than that - it has been the privilege to have met and mixed with everyone. I guess in the early days we didn’t have any choice but to work together to complain about the issues, especially when you cannot talk directly to the developers. Without you guys I would have never made it this far.

I have enjoyed my time here, albeit shortened, and I will miss all that this forum represents. As with any special place it is the people who make it and it will be those I will miss the most.  Even though I am moving to new horizons (I hope), I will always have my own memories of this place. 

I wont mention anyone in particular, as it will take way too long, and my fingers are getting tired!

I am sure reunions and catch-ups will, if not often, be full of laughs and good times, so I will say goodbye for now but hopefully I will be back when P3D finally becomes

the flight-sim I always new it could be.

Bye

The problem is I enjoy the large complex aircraft.

Sounds also like you don't do lower/slower flights where P3D really shines, and that is also where it's especially impressive to have the detail you like to see, the eye-candy as it were.   If you were inclined to do these sorts of flights you could retain P3D and use that sim for those flights and use FSX for your preferred tube liner flights.  

For larger complex aircraft, have you tried CS Super MD80 Pro?  It's quite complex and yet performs like default planes in P3D V2.x.  I just flew from KDEN HD to FB's KSFO using FTX Global, Super MD80, using the fabulous FSCaptain, in weather toward the last few hundred miles and arrived w/ ample unused VAS, FWIW.   Don't discount you may have something in particular (like the Hawaiian Airports which cause bizarre VAS usage even w/o being anywhere near them, or so I conclude) that is causing you to have to lower settings too far.  My settings are almost fully maxed.

Yes, the sim is nice due to a more 'immersive feel' created by the clouds, shadows, and over all environment.

You've also decided it's best for you to trade in the more immersive feel for something else which I have to guess is mostly PMDG product?  The 4 birds I use have moderate to high complexity but not to the level of PMDG big birds which we can rate at the top of the heap, and despite probably very similar scenery & texture add ons we should be experiencing similar performance & VAS usage.   

64-bit P3D will prevent the simulator from shutting down due to VAS limits, but if LM doesn't revise other code, for example to utilize physical ram for pre-loading of textures better, better use of multicore/HT, plus adds full SLI support, other factors can restrict total performance, so in the end, you'll still need to decide what stuff to pear back to allow for adequate total performance.   

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I think those gentlemen are trying to hurt my feelings. haha
Before they succeed in doing so, let me explain.

Please don't mis-interpret some of our posts (mine anyway) - yikes! No question that you've been genuine with your feedback, and that's good for everyone. Hope to see you back. 

I've come to the conclusion that for right now, P3D is not for me. I have just way too many FSX add-ons that won't work within P3D in an acceptable manner.

So goodbye P3D, welcome FSX:SE :ph34r:  !

Just kidding (a bit). ^_^

But seriously: I am still convinced that P3D will be doing extremely fine (some day), especially when being developped further to a 64bit version, which FSX:SE would probably never be...

Merry XMAS!