Sign in to follow this  

Hi guys

A few days ago I posted asking about harddrive solutions and a few people suggested that I looked at hybrid drives.

I have a lot of stuff spread over 3 different drives and i'm sort of looking to consolidate onto one. I would like to put it all on an ssd but With the amount of space required I think cost might be prohibitive So I think it may be the sshd

And here's the question, is it possible to move only my various flightsims and scenery,addons and all the other bits and pieces over to the new drive without having to do a complete re install of everything

I may also want to put the operating system on that drive as well ,I've not decided on that one yet

Any help would be really appreciated as this is going to be a big swap for me   FSX,P3d,XP10,DCS would be the sims involved

Cheers and Happy Christmas to all

rgds

Pete Little

Pete ... as I alluded to in an earlier thread ... the SSHD relies on the cache and Seagate software 'magic' to speed up often-used data stored in that (small) cache.

If the most used data is your OS or Flight Sim exe you will notice speedier loading.  If you use multiple exe's or files the effect will be reduced as the cache is being continually flushed, such as would be the case with a data disc or one storing multiple (well used) exe's.

Thanks Appliance

Yea I originally thought having all my sims on 1 drive might be the best option but having done a little more reading I think the small cache would be continually flushing as I tend to flip between p3d and fsx quite a bit

so with things like weather scenery and ai between the two I would loose the benifits of the small ssd part and have it acting like a HD

I'm trying to figure out what the best all round option would be best without having too big a budget  any ideas?

I suppose it depends on sales prices because the simplest solution would be a big ssd but if I went down say the smaller ssd route what would be the best option on the ssd ?

I've seen several different combos ranging from operating system and sims on the ssd and weather, scenery, ai on a normal drive to operating system and ai and weather on the ssd and sims on the hd

If I got an ssd and an sshd what would you put on each?

and finally is there a way to just move the sims scenery etc onto these drives without the need for a complete reinstall?

Thanks for any advise you can offer

rgds

Pete

Pete Little