Merry Christmas Eve to all. I didn't think that this fit in the hardware section. I received my new 2560X1440 monitor today and hooked it up. I opened FSX and selected this resolution from the menu, 2560x1440x32, and noticed that I had two black sections on the left and right. I was under the impression that 1560x1440 was 16:9 aspect ratio, and I am fairly certain that the last monitor I was using was 16:9 aspect ratio which had no black sections on the side. When reading about FSX CFG I read that, I think its called wide screen, should be changed to true. I'm pretty sure I have not done this yet and will try it.

I'm just confused that if they are the same aspect ration why is one showing black sections??? Also, when I change wide screen to true, is there a section of the CFG that I need to type in the new resolution, 2560x1440? I wouldn't think so since it already showed up in FSX Setting.

By the way, I know a little about changing CFG and editing through Notepad, but am very much an amateur at this, so a child's explanation would be very helpful. Any advice is welcomed and have a merry Christmas everyone!

Update. I just went into "windowed mode" to try to get Plan-G and FSX to run on separate screens. I don't think it is possible. But when I went into "windowed mode" and my secondary monitor went blank, my Primary FSX monitor changed to full screen. It didn't look stretched or strange or anything. In fact it looked DANG good. I will do anything I can to avoid windowed mode, unless someone has a fix to actually get rid of the "window" in "windowed mode," so in regards to my earlier post does anyone know why these two modes would show up differently on-screen?

Besides all of this additional info I still need an answer to my first post if anyone has one please.

Merry Christmas Eve to all. I didn't think that this fit in the hardware section. I received my new 2560X1440 monitor today and hooked it up. I opened FSX and selected this resolution from the menu, 2560x1440x32, and noticed that I had two black sections on the left and right. I was under the impression that 1560x1440 was 16:9 aspect ratio, and I am fairly certain that the last monitor I was using was 16:9 aspect ratio which had no black sections on the side. When reading about FSX CFG I read that, I think its called wide screen, should be changed to true. I'm pretty sure I have not done this yet and will try it.

I'm just confused that if they are the same aspect ration why is one showing black sections??? Also, when I change wide screen to true, is there a section of the CFG that I need to type in the new resolution, 2560x1440? I wouldn't think so since it already showed up in FSX Setting.

By the way, I know a little about changing CFG and editing through Notepad, but am very much an amateur at this, so a child's explanation would be very helpful. Any advice is welcomed and have a merry Christmas everyone!

Yes you need WideViewAspect=True in your fsx.cfg file.(in the [Display] section.)

I would also check your .cfg file for the correct entries for the display. something like :-

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti .0.0]

Mode=2560x1440x32

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1

yours will be different depending on your gpu and whether your running in dx9 or dx10mode.

you should have a similar entry for the second monitor.

I would also make sure your desk top is the same.

merry xmas to you to west7586

bob

Great. I will get to that when I get some time. Mine should be,

NBIDIA GeForce GTX 660

Mode=2560x1440x32

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1

DX9

Thanks for your help. Does this explain why it works in "windowed mode" and not in full screen mode?

that's right it should be:-
[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 .0] for the main screen and some think like
[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 .1] for your second monitor. ( not NBIDIA of course)

If it doesn't work just look thro' your .cfg file to check for double entries as these offten occur when you upgrade a gpu.

best of luck
bob

ps also check in FSX that you have the correct monitor set up.

Yes, NBIDIA, a lesser known competitor to NVIDIA, lol. Thanks so much Onebob. I figured that was the answer. I just changed to "True" and everything else was set correctly. The other monitor was a different resolution, of course it doesn't run as high as my new one and I wanted lower resolution on the older one anyway. I did take a quick look through my cfg, but it seems to be in fine shape. I just built the computer, have not changed any hardware on it, and have tried to keep everything FSX related super tidy and well backed up. I did in fact change the resolution first thing in FSX to make sure it showed up on the options list.

I appreciate the help greatly, but I think I will have to disconnect the second monitor and use my laptop as my second screen. I only want to use the second screen for non-moving map using Plan-G to practice navigation without the map/gps always telling you where you are. The problem is that I would have to run FSX in windowed mode and I can't stand the border around the screen when using two monitors on the same PC. Seeing as I have not found a work around for this I hope to build my database from my PC and put it into Plan-G on my laptop. I don't know how to do this yet, maybe just build a database on the PC, save it to an external hard drive, then transfer to my laptop? My laptop, while a high end gaming laptop, takes decades to start up and my PC start almost instantly. This is the only real barrier I have left to figure out besides a few Saitek panel oddities.

Again thanks for your help.

Glad you got it sorted, There is a solution on the web to achieve a pseudo full screen mode.

I think it may be in the avsim library

Pseudo_full_screen.zip,, you could investigate that.

Bob