Sign in to follow this  
JoshuaC

Must See! REX Soft Clouds

Here's a side-by-side comparison from REX SC and REX4 TD. I think both texture sets are beautiful and it comes down to personal taste which will be the best, but I have to say, I like the new REX SC textures a lot. Even though the pictures I took today dont show it very much, like already mentioned, to me the new REX SC textures look less 'painted'.

Pictures were taken at ORBX KORS with ASNext live weather. 4 quick shots around the parked aircraft.

REXSC-REXTD4_zpsb926ae50.jpg

REXSC-REXTD3_zps62c369a8.jpg

REXSC-REXTD2_zps0cadfc83.jpg

REXSC-REXTD1_zps96ef2606.jpg

Cheers!

Maarten

Sorry, no interest here I'm afraid. On principle.

After eventually convincing myself that REX's much vaunted and updated DIRECT state-of-the-art clouds were worth spending more cash on recently, we now have an Option that really should, and could have, easily been built-in to the full REX programme, as added value. Or at least a free update at this point?

Sure, it's their choice, and there's the rub. I for one agree with Kevin who feels it's 'gouging'. The web is full of it these days. I see it as opportunistic; the 'launch' said it all. Half-baked and some might argue 'sneaked under the door' while people are relaxed and mellow over the holiday season. Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh. But to me REX's reputation emerges a bit tarnished. I'm happy for the fan-boys though.

+1

When I started simming, REX used to be the number one add-on to purchase. REX+OD was/is a great add-on, but for me REX4 TD already added little to no value. The other REX4 products have long been announced but for over a year nothing has been released. And now this. An "update" to clouds which for me should be included in REX4 TD. Paired with the really strange release process. You guys at REX should definitely work on being more professional and start releasing really new products. Sorry if it sounds harsh but that's my opinion.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Looking at various screenshots I found that REX Soft Clouds are much better choice when you are above or in the clouds in broken or overcast weather, adn REX 4 sets are more realistic from the ground/ low altitudes.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Sorry, no interest here I'm afraid. On principle.

After eventually convincing myself that REX's much vaunted and updated DIRECT state-of-the-art clouds were worth spending more cash on recently, we now have an Option that really should, and could have, easily been built-in to the full REX programme, as added value. Or at least a free update at this point? 

Sure, it's their choice, and there's the rub. I for one agree with Kevin who feels it's 'gouging'. The web is full of it these days. I see it as opportunistic; the 'launch' said it all. Half-baked and some might argue 'sneaked under the door' while people are relaxed and mellow over the holiday season. Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh. But to me REX's reputation emerges a bit tarnished. I'm happy for the fan-boys though.

Cmon Gareth how can any company involved in Flightsim keep working for free.

they have just released a massive free update to Rex Essential making it a completely different weather engine and also including updated water textures for Prepar3d users.all these man hours for absolutely nothing for existing users.

I was very happy to pay £6.00 for 256 new cloud textures and which also includes any support i need,hardly exhorbitant i think you would agree.

as for being a Fan-Boy..yes of course i am. :smile: they are the best of all the Weather/cloud companies out there.and i have supported them from the early days.I like there weather program so much i bought it twice.

best wishes

steve

Cmon Gareth how can any company involved in Flightsim keep working for free.

they have just released a massive free update to Rex Essential making it a completely different weather engine and also including updated water textures for Prepar3d users.all these man hours for absolutely nothing for existing users.

+1000   couldn't agree more guess people want every dev  to work for nothing,  like to see how these people survive in the world if they spend many hours working for free, and getting no rewards for their efforts.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

a bit harsh

It really is Gareth, as the REX guys have given a huge amounts of content away for free - and they are a buisness after all..  the fan-boy comment is really out of order too  :Straight Face:  

I do However feel this would have been best served as an update (paid not free) for REX4, of which I thought the whole idea was to be a base to build on, as the two texture packs have proved.

I would be interested in taking a look at these clouds, but do not want yet another stand alone interface, when one would do, plus I already have way more clouds than I use.

For those who just want some extra clouds as an alternative to the defaults, and are not interested in all the other textures, this is a nice cheap package.

I think the REX guys need to be cut a little slack, and shown a little Christmas spirit.

Thanks Guys.

I was expecting a backlash for sticking up for the REX guys.I  know that i'm not the only one who doesn't expect people to work for nothing.

I certainly don't.

steve

Here's a side-by-side comparison from REX SC and REX4 TD. I think both texture sets are beautiful and it comes down to personal taste which will be the best, but I have to say, I like the new REX SC textures a lot. Even though the pictures I took today dont show it very much, like already mentioned, to me the new REX SC textures look less 'painted'.

Pictures were taken at ORBX KORS with ASNext live weather. 4 quick shots around the parked aircraft.

REXSC-REXTD4_zpsb926ae50.jpg

REXSC-REXTD3_zps62c369a8.jpg

REXSC-REXTD2_zps0cadfc83.jpg

REXSC-REXTD1_zps96ef2606.jpg

In the last 2 pics , REX4 TD looks much closer to real life than the soft clouds above which look out of focus and blurry and a bit like cotton wool

ZORAN

Hi Novation, this is fine, I respect your opinion. And you make a fair point in viewing it as an option for non-users of the full REX product. It still would have been a smart move for them to offer it to existing customers, especially since a few appear to see the 'soft clouds' as a possible alternative to HD on performance grounds.

As for REX's previous 'give-aways', well this of course is part of the marketing equation. It's their call. Today you have to offer outstanding value to succeed online. Ultimately it's the goodwill vested in a brand that ensures survival, especially in 'distance marketing'. But we don't owe any supplier a living. Once you have the 'ultimate' in HD clouds (or whatever is your product) where do you go from there? Clouds are clouds after all.

Marketers have two choices when they reach the mature stage, or end, of a product's life-cycle: they must add new users for their existing products or find new products for existing users. But whatever you do don't upset the existing users. They are the main asset. If you have 'new' products to bring to the market they are pure gold.  

I also accept the as a one-time marketing lecturer this field is changing fast. Ultimately, if most REX patrons end up happy with this new cloud product then REX have scored a minor coup.  And for that they deserve credit. Customer delight is 'King'.  Theory only goes so far.    

And when all's said and done, I don't rule out buying it myself if and when I feel persuaded to do so.  User comments are greatly appreciated by us all. 

Best wishes,

i allready owne rex 4 direct and im happy with it! does this will be an improvment on quality? or no really change for me?

i allready owne rex 4 direct and im happy with it! does this will be an improvment on quality? or no really change for me?

Going by the posted pics, clouds should be fluffy at the bottom and sharp at the top or edges.

In other words a combination of both techniques should be used, or rather a combination of the 2 renditions.  

@Noel, we will consider this, it's actually easy to integrate.

@Spirit, thank you for your support!

@Gerard, very interesting idea, let me run this by our team. As for your question, no this wouldn't work. See my answer to Noel above, this is a great idea! I will inform in the coming days.

Thank you Tim. I'll be happy to pay for an integrated update. I like the drop down menu in REX Essentials when choosimg backup textures.

Thanks again!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

OK...so here is the killer question. I agree that from the ground the soft clouds look a bit washed out. However, close up or inside; they are much better. So the 60000 dollar question is: Would it be possible to change the textures based on altitude? Just a thought. Perhaps the upcoming weather engine would speak to that.

Nope, FSX engine iself doesn't have the possiblitiy to change cloud textures based on altitude.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Really!....First I purchase REX Essential Plus Overdrive....advertised as the "best thing since sliced bread"..Then it goes on sale..And then REX 4, "developed from the ground up with years of input"....And quess what? There was still something better! Soft clouds! If it took years of input to develop REX 4, then obviously it was a failure, since "Soft Clouds" were never included...Where will this all end? It's becoming a joke and unfortunately, even if a small percentage of believers fall for this, REX will still rake in the Dollars..You have lost my support, REX..This is pure taking advantage of the mass market out there for financial gain...It's like those Infomercials you get out there for cleaning products that go by: "But wait, that's not all! There's more!"....

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X