Sign in to follow this  
JoshuaC

Must See! REX Soft Clouds

Hi,

It's REX for goodness sake! Have they ever let us down? I think it was pretty decent of them to release this new Soft Cloud set compilation for us around Christmas. Hardly surprising that a few hiccups accompanied the release.

Do yourselves a favour and get on with it! Stop looking for unfounded excuses to put off the decision. Look at the price - it's a no brainer!!

http://store.rexdownload.com/rex-software/5-rex-soft-cloud-version-1.html

Purchasing with PayPal worked without a hitch.

In my case, the link to setup.exe was supplied in an email entitled:

"[REX Store] The virtual product that you bought is available  for download.eml"

As far as I'm concerned these cloud sets come pretty close to being perfect. Read the pdf User Manual for recommended sim settings then select a set and install (it's instantaneous) - couldn't be more straightforward. You won't lose anything.

I will continue using REX 4 - Texture Direct for everything else. I know I'm free to chop and change between both GUIs when it comes to choosing different cloud sets. There are 16 Soft Cloud sets in all so plenty variety to keep you all interested and spellbound with awe. Yes, I agree, it would be better if these additional sets could be incorporated in the main REX 4 - Texture Direct program.

I see no negative effect on frame rates or performance and my system still manages to chug along smoothly at 20-25 fps using ORBX Weather 6.

Note that the manual recommends that you do not enable the DXT5 texture option. Read the manual for the explanation.

Here are a couple of quick captures at FL200:

Clouds_1.jpg

Clouds_3.jpg

Mike

Just to clarify - Tim picked up on this and it was a software glitch. I'm ok in the forum again! Thanx Tim!

Thought it would have been a glitch  to get banned from  the rex forum you would have done something  drastic,

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Thought it would have been a glitch  to get banned from  the rex forum you would have done something  drastic,

LOL! Yes, I know I can get grumpy at times but I didn't recall doing anything in the REX forum.  

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Nope, FSX engine iself doesn't have the possiblitiy to change cloud textures based on altitude.

Thanks for the info Pe11e. Then what about a weather engine that dynamically updates textures based on changing conditions such as weather or altitude? Sharper textures at below the clouds. Softer textures when in the midst? Just curious.

These are Soft Clouds

Alps.jpg

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I don't like them for some reason.....

Hard to x-plane....

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

motoadve and Jho,

I received your private messages here on AVSIM and I am in contact with our store IT manager. We will get you sorted. I will send you an email and PM you here with the resolve. Again, I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for looking into it and get it sorted.

So far testing them, I like them but sometimes they have a light blue color that doesnt look right, same as X plane 10 sometimes.

Will test all textures and post.

Guys, this product is the answer to the old 2d clouds tech. No more spinning clouds artifacts. This is utilizing the volumetric tech enabled by DX11. It's an inevitable move into something new and better. This may also pose as a bypass solution to clouds hammering performance in p3d.

I see ground shadows in the demo video on the first post - is that a P3D feature or has it finally been integrated into FSX? 

Guys, this product is the answer to the old 2d clouds tech. No more spinning clouds artifacts. This is utilizing the volumetric tech enabled by DX11. It's an inevitable move into something new and better. This may also pose as a bypass solution to clouds hammering performance in p3d.

Interesting,..perhaps this is why they look so much like XP10 clouds to me?  What I'm not quite able to follow is if these are truly 3d volumetric clouds then how is it they can improve performance?  Isn't this the exact reason clouds can be so system/fps intensive on the XP10 platform?  I'm not trolling here or trying to turn this into an XP10 vs P3d thread I'm just curious.  Truly 3d volumetric clouds with improved performance would really be exciting and a reason to switch/purchase but, to me it sounds like having your cake and being able to eat it too?  I would love to hear REX's thoughts/position on this or be pointed to another thread or discussion that talks about their direction/intent with regard this product/tech.

RE Thomason Jr.

Interesting,..perhaps this is why they look so much like XP10 clouds to me?  What I'm not quite able to follow is if these are truly 3d volumetric clouds then how is it they can improve performance?  Isn't this the exact reason clouds can be so system/fps intensive on the XP10 platform?  I'm not trolling here or trying to turn this into an XP10 vs P3d thread I'm just curious.  Truly 3d volumetric clouds with improved performance would really be exciting and a reason to switch/purchase but, to me it sounds like having your cake and being able to eat it too?  I would love to hear REX's thoughts/position on this or be pointed to another thread or discussion that talks about their direction/intent with regard this product/tech.

That's because dx11 tech provides faster rendering techniques. It's all about efficiency.

I asked Tim on the REX forum what the specific DX11 optimisation was and his reply was HDR only. These may give the illusion of volumetricity (?) but they arent...

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

That's because dx11 tech provides faster rendering techniques. It's all about efficiency.

Aghh, yeah right, the old Open GL vs DX debate competition is good but in big business David usually doesn't fare well against Goliath :lol:

I asked Tim on the REX forum what the specific DX11 optimisation was and his reply was HDR only. These may give the illusion of volumetricity (?) but they arent...

Which is fine by me if it keeps performance up! Reminds me of the old Car's tune...

"If the illusion is real let them give you a ride, if they got thunder appeal, let them be on your side"

Let the Good Times Roll  :Peace::Party:

RE Thomason Jr.

Guys, this product is the answer to the old 2d clouds tech. No more spinning clouds artifacts. This is utilizing the volumetric tech enabled by DX11. It's an inevitable move into something new and better.

Hmmmm...

I do argue with this only because I'm one of the rare folks who likes the more detailed old clouds much better, but due to the fact that claiming a single texture change to be something else that it is, is a bit too strong for me.

The 'volumetric' addition in P3D is a much deeper thing in the shaders than a single bitmap file.

If one changes a single 2D bitmap file it will not be either 3D or volumetric.

And yes, the known spinning clouds artifact can be made less prominent by removing the actual detail from the file and making it more homogenious but it also results in losing the actual detail of the clouds in close proximity.

With this texture-set the clouds are way LESS detailed than in the real world (of course depending on other weather factors, they may look like these clods but not always so).

I have over 10000 hours in the left seat so have seen clouds around me...

BTW, One of the reasons why I always avoided X-Plane was the horrible quality, simplicity and shapelessness of the clouds there...

I think, as far as reality is concerned, this set is a step backwards...