Sign in to follow this  
JoshuaC

Must See! REX Soft Clouds

Ok so I uninstalled both Texture Direct and Soft Clouds and then reinstalled everything but this time installed Soft Clouds into a different directory than Texture Direct.  The soft clouds installed fine through their own installer and no more CTD.  I have to say that these soft clouds look really good! I can now definitely tell a big difference between the Texture Direct clouds and the soft clouds and I will be keeping the soft clouds installed.  Great work REX. 

Do not try and install the soft cloud application into the same directory as your Texture Direct (if you have Texture Direct).  That is obviously what had caused my previous issues.

P.S. After reading my previous post REX contacted me directly to help sort the issue.  I ended up resolving the issue by performing the above; however, I feel the need to thank them for the great and fast support...so thank you.

Ryan

Here's a couple of shots.  That is some of the best looking overcast I have ever seen!

LatinVFR KSNA down below...looks good too just doesn't tie into FTX Global as well as I would have hoped.

soft1_zpsbeb6d916.jpg

soft2_zps5ec39b84.jpg

Ryan

Here's a couple of shots. That is some of the best looking overcast I have ever seen!

I don't have them yet...they seem to look kinda like cotton balls to me.  But those two shots look really nice.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

they seem to look kinda like cotton balls to me

I see what you're saying but I kinda prefer that look.  I can confirm the above posts, I am getting improved performance using SGSSAA through NI in heavy cloud cover.

Ryan

They look nice and it helps a bit on the frame using PMDG and CS777.

Any suggestion on which number style is more realistic when running ASN?

Kin M.

(Klax)

I've been running Set 6 I believe with ASN. I'm happy with it, tried I think Set 8 but didn't like it as much. After some time I much prefer it to the REX4 TD's clouds, even at 512 resolution. I feel like I can run it at greater cloud density/draw distance for the same frame rates as before.

A few photos (unedited):

filtuS6.jpg

VgTYOzz.jpg

9vfo8Du.jpg

These are the best clouds I've ever used with FSX and performance is excellent!

My performance actually increased and I finally got fogged in with a REAL overcast view of the sky which can be seen in my latest flight blog.  Link is in my sig if you want to see what overcast looks like with Soft Clouds.

That's the type of overcast I see too. Great job by the REX team!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Those are some good looking screenshots - which cloud set is that?

I believe it's on Page 4 on the 2nd from the right.  It's the same cloud package that Rich is using for his F-14 shots.   It's probably my favorite so far out of the ones I have tried.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Those are some good looking screenshots - which cloud set is that?

I believe it's on Page 4 on the 2nd from the right.  It's the same cloud package that Rich is using for his F-14 shots.   It's probably my favorite so far out of the ones I have tried.

I used set 15 but now even better is shut off low level clouds in REX4 and use a high level cloud choice to compliment low level soft clouds pretty cool

Rich Sennett

Just wait until you see what Weather Architect and Weather Direct can do with REX Soft Clouds and the Weather Force API.  Stay tuned!!!

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Weather provided by Active Sky NEXT. This is from Prepar3D. These screen caps are not altered or doctor in anyway. These are as is from my setup.

Great pictures. What is your cloud density setting in Prepar3d? I usually use the medium setting but that never gives a closed cloud cover (with the maximum setting the performance is unacceptable). Was wondering if the soft clouds help to get a denser cloud cover...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT