Sign in to follow this  
JoshuaC

Must See! REX Soft Clouds

I've tried hard to see a difference between DXT5 and 32bit clouds, but I simply couldn't. Zoomed, get really close, nothing, exactly the same quality. I've checked copied file, DXT5 is around 300kb, and 32bit a bit over 1mb.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I'm not buying Soft Clouds even if it is just $10.

Thank you for sharing ...

Can anyone tell me how to remove the textures again? I need to do some testing without the textures installed... 

Hi Brian,

Great video and right on the money....so to speak ;)

Regards,

Mike

Can anyone tell me how to remove the textures again? I need to do some testing without the textures installed...

Select Weather Theme: 'Clear Skies (clears all weather)'

Mike

Hi Brian,

Great video and right on the money....so to speak ;)

Regards,

Mike

Select Weather Theme: 'Clear Skies (clears all weather)'

Mike

Will that recover the default textures that came with the sim? 

Will that recover the default textures that came with the sim?

Nope. You'll have to restore the backup you made. You did make a backup....?

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Anyone saying -″Oh, these Soft Clouds are the same as ordinary REX 512 clouds″ obviously do not know what they are talking about. For the first time, clouds are actually looking good. A no-brainer really.

These are the best clouds in any flight sim. Now they just need to integrate them into REX4 Texture Direct.

They said they are going to release it for Texture Direct (free update for existing purchasers of SC). Seems kinda curious that they didn't release the integrated version first, but oh well.  :P

I really like them but I'm hoping there's a way to integrate the sharper clouds into the mix. Clouds are never that "soft" all the time. I think of summers in Southern California where there is a bright blue sky with huge white cumulus clouds that have a dramatic sharp edge and you can see the billowing folds moving. The TD clouds do this when necessary but the softs do not.

Other than that, they really are stunning!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Nope. You'll have to restore the backup you made. You did make a backup....?

I did a manual one yes. Is there even a backup button in the user interface? I cant find one...

The only backup capability is built into REX Texture Direct 4. Soft Clouds is just textures and once one overwrites cumulus01.bmp in the sim's texture folder, the original version is gone. Now, if one has REX TD 4, then one can find the original P3d/FSX file manually in the backup folder that was created when one first ran REX TD 4.

I really like them but I'm hoping there's a way to integrate the sharper clouds into the mix.

Yes, soft bases and crisper tops would be nice. There is no one 'correct' type of cloud - boiling Cumulus have very sharp, defined edges, even very close up, yet at the base they may be very soft and have no definite edge, and some days the clouds have no definition whatsoever. The issue in the sim is we can only run one texture resolution at a time, but I don't see why we could not have soft clouds, even if they are rendered at 4096. The texture resolution does not mean edges have to be hard does it?.

Anyway, I bought REX SC as Tim stated they will integrate them at some point into REX4 TD and allow those who have bought Soft Clouds to use them in REX4 (I think anyway) ... regardless I am happy with the £7 I spent on them, and find I use these these as a nice alternative to the more hard edge versions in REX4. Variety is the spice of life, right?

I bought it and I like it. It looks considerably better and way more realistic when flying through the clouds. BAM!