Sign in to follow this  
BMG50

RIP Air Tran...

I think you mean Value Jet. AirTran is the successor to Value Jet and is still with us, or has it been completely consumed by one of the other lines? If so, then ,maybe you are correct.

I think you mean Value Jet. AirTran is the successor to Value Jet and is still with us, or has it been completely consumed by one of the other lines? If so, then ,maybe you are correct.

No, AirTran was bought by Southwest quite some time ago and they have been slowly merging everything. Yesterday was AirTran's last revenue flight.

Samuel Scully

I3ubba is correct...My best friend/partner flew the next to last flight yesterday...will be going straight to the left seat of a 737 in May because of his seniority...

Airtran (Valujet) should have disappeared following the crash of Flight 592 which is one I will never forget. Gross incompetence on their part and I have intentionally avoided flying with them because of it. 

Matthew Kane

I've jumpseated on Airtran numerous times and they have been nothing but professional, accomodating and on-time.

Airtran (Valujet) should have disappeared following the crash of Flight 592 which is one I will never forget. Gross incompetence on their part and I have intentionally avoided flying with them because of it. 

I think it is unfair to judge them based off one incident that happened almost 19 years ago. If that is what you use to decide which airline not to fly on then you probably shouldn't fly on very many airlines because most of them have at least one incident in their history that was caused due to negligence. I have flown on several AirTran flights and while I still don't like flying with them it doesn't have anything to do with safety.

Samuel Scully

I think it is unfair to judge them based off one incident that happened almost 19 years ago. If that is what you use to decide which airline not to fly on then you probably shouldn't fly on very many airlines because most of them have at least one incident in their history that was caused due to negligence. I have flown on several AirTran flights and while I still don't like flying with them it doesn't have anything to do with safety.

It was a crash that I watched from the breaking news and followed through the investigation. It was not an accident when you load Chemical Oxygen Generators as cargo that is not allowed on aircraft, and use a budget aircraft and cover up the contents......this is criminal on every level.

The outcome of the process was basically a slap on the wrist so that leaves the flying public the choice if they wish to boycott an airline or not based on their practices.

Compared to other airlines that have had accidents many of those where unavoidable (weather or mechanical faults), in the case of Valujet we are talking about criminal activity that led to a crash, which is different

Matthew Kane

It was a crash that I watched from the breaking news and followed through the investigation. It was not an accident when you load Chemical Oxygen Generators as cargo that is not allowed on aircraft, and use a budget aircraft and cover up the contents......this is criminal on every level.

The outcome of the process was basically a slap on the wrist so that leaves the flying public the choice if they wish to boycott an airline or not based on their practices.

Compared to other airlines that have had accidents many of those where unavoidable (weather or mechanical faults), in the case of Valujet we are talking about criminal activity that led to a crash, which is different

Of course you have a choice to boycott them I was just saying that I don't agree with the reasoning. As far as other airlines, I know they had many that were unavoidable or out of their control but there have been plenty that were due to negligence. There have been plenty of cases of negligence from maintenance crews, air crew, or corporate practices and some of these have led to incidents as well. My point being that if you refused to fly AirTran based on a incident 19 years ago you might as well not fly any of the major airlines flying today because most of them have had at least one incident in the past that was caused due to negligence on someone's part. Just my opinion on the matter.

Samuel Scully

My point being that if you refused to fly AirTran based on a incident 19 years ago you might as well not fly any of the major airlines flying today because most of them have had at least one incident in the past that was caused due to negligence on someone's part. Just my opinion on the matter.

I understand your point but what you are missing is the difference. What Valujet and SabreTech did was not negligence in Maintenance. They knowingly loaded flamible cargo on an airliner and covered up the contents which was criminal.

Another incident like this is with South Africa Airlines Flight 295 where the South African Government loaded munitions on a 747 Combi and has covered that up as well. SAA is another airline I wouldn't fly either, my partner was born in Zimbabwe so we pretty much just avoid any airlines from Africa as a rule of thumb  B)

I do fly many others but we all have a choice who we fly and don't fly for many reasons, just like some people prefer Honda's over Fords etc etc etc

Matthew Kane

I understand your point but what you are missing is the difference. What Valujet and SabreTech did was not negligence in Maintenance. They knowingly loaded flamible cargo on an airliner and covered up the contents which was criminal.

Another incident like this is with South Africa Airlines Flight 295 where the South African Government loaded munitions on a 747 Combi and has covered that up as well. SAA is another airline I wouldn't fly either, my partner was born in Zimbabwe so we pretty much just avoid any airlines from Africa as a rule of thumb  B)

I do fly many others but we all have a choice who we fly and don't fly for many reasons, just like some people prefer Honda's over Fords etc etc etc

I still disagree with your opinion, but I respect it. It won't really matter anymore though because AirTran no longer exists, so problem solved I guess.

I don't blame you for not flying any African airlines, not the greatest safety record over there lol.

Samuel Scully

Speaking as a NGX nerd, anyone else appreciate the different operating philosophies between the two carriers in regards to cost index/takeoff performance profile in each respective fleet's 737NG?   IIRC, Southwest flies without a fixed engine derate, although I believe they use an assumed temp, to get up in the air and reach cruise as quickly as possible to save fuel in the long run.   On the other hand, Airtran uses both a fixed derate and assumed temp, in an effort to reduce wear and tear on the engines.   Takes a little longer to reach cruise altitude, and they use a whole lot more runway on the rollout.   I saw this in action IRL as I was waiting onboard a Delta flight at KPHL at the gate, where it was very apparent that the Southwest birds were in the air sooner vs the one AirTran NG I witnessed on departure.