Sign in to follow this  
Bofajking

The Most Intense VAS/OOM testing you have ever seen **Videos**

Simply put, FSX Steam Edition is the answer to your OOM problems. Period! 

So I know there have been some wild claims about the frame rates that FSX Steam Edition yield. I for one did not have the time to test the two sims at lower settings and configurations so I cannot attest for those results but very reputable folks such as Pete Dawson swear that there are tangible gains. 

The one thing I have been testing extensively is VAS/WS memory usage and the general stability of the sim. Many of you may have seen my other thread here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/458260-ms-fsx-vs-dt-fsx-se-the-conclusive-performance-benchmark/ where I did a head to head between MS FSX and FSX SE in a stress test situation. 

After those results, I made the conclusion that VAS/OOM performance of FSX SE is remarkably better than the old FSX. Many continued to have questions about the validity of that claim so I decided to step it up a notch. I installed DX10, REX Essential + OD textures, AND Orbx Palm Springs to my stress test. So just to make it clear, in about a 150 NM area, I have the following addons:

• Orbx FTX Global
  • Orbx FTX Vector
  • Pilots FS Global 2010 Mesh
  • Aerosim 787
  • REX Essential Plus OD Cloud and Sky Textures
  • Gizmos 4096 Water Animations
  • Aerosoft My Traffic 2013
  • FSDT GSX Ground Services
  • KLAX by FS Dream Team
  • KLGB by Shehryar Ansari
  • KONT by Shehryar Ansari
  • KPSP by Orbx/Jarrad Marshall

Then I maxed the settings to unheard of levels which you will see in the video. 

I have tried this test with much lower settings in FSX for years as part of my stress flying just between KLAX, KLGB, and KONT without KPSP and couldnt complete the flight. If you have flown FSX for more than a day you know that 4 Mega Airports in this small of an area, ORBX Vector and Global, a Photoreal Region, REX Texture, and maxed out sliders will create an OOM before you probably even get off the ground. 

But not in FSX SE. You can visit all 4 airports, load the entire region, and cruise along at 250 kn without a single ping. 

Dont believe me? See for yourself. I have included skip points in the description of the video if you dont want to just sit around a listen to me talk. 

FSX Steam Edition - *The Ultimate Stress Test!* Pt 1 ->  http://youtu.be/4YONKVA8c00

FSX Steam Edition - *The Ultimate Stress Test!* Pt 2 ->  http://youtu.be/lZdcLgqAnhE

That is great news! Thank you for your efforts.

- Bill Magann

Very interesting. Now I am curious to see how much lower you can get it using DX10 Preview and the DX10 fixer from Steve. 

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

FSX:SE sounds great and I picked it up while it was on sale. Only thing preventing me from making the switch is the reports of certain addons not being compatible with it (such as some PMDG aircraft). That is a big deal breaker for me, it would be pointless for me to switch to FSX:SE only to not be able to use my favorite addons.

Samuel Scully

Very interesting. Now I am curious to see how much lower you can get it using DX10 Preview and the DX10 fixer from Steve. 

Thanks for the effort, I'm wondering too about the DX10 fix.

in the video I share the settings about 2:45 in and you will see that I am using DX10

in the video I share the settings about 2:45 in and you will see that I am using DX10

Missed that. Are you using the DX10 fixer library as well (can't rewatch the video at the moment)?

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

Missed that. Are you using the DX10 fixer library as well (can't rewatch the video at the moment)?

Yes, unfortunately ORBX Global doesn't play nice without it. 

Great work Bofajking ........ some extreme skeptics from the other thread should be getting out the mustard and sauces, and eating their hats  :P    :lol:

You almost forgot to turn off your landing lights above 10,000 ft.

:Big Grin:

EDIT: Still on part 1, watching it unload/reload is actually pretty impressive. In any case, thanks so much for taking the time.

Regards,

Brian Doney

You almost forgot to turn off your landing lights above 10,000 ft.

:Big Grin:

EDIT: Still on part 1, watching it unload/reload is actually pretty impressive. In any case, thanks so much for taking the time.

I seriously almost rolled out of my chair laughing... thanks for that!  :LMAO:

Don't forget to critique my landing when you make it to the part 2!   :P

Don't forget to critique my landing when you make it to the part 2!   :P

ZE1uj0.jpg

EDIT: Just to add, I can't wait until some of the essential addons are updated. I currently run FSX-MS, P3Dv2, and XPX, so I really don't get into the popularity contest some here like to run, but this is actually pretty exciting.

I did buy FSX-SE during the sale, looks like I'll pick up another SSD and switch over completely once the addons catch up.

Regards,

Brian Doney