Sign in to follow this  
omera60

Best Processor for P3DV2

Hi all,

I am a home cockpit builder and I recently upgraded my sim to P3D from FSX and I must say it I'm in love with it. Now I'm updating my computer. I bought 2 GTX780 from Nvidia now it's turn for the processor to get to the next level. My question is, what is the best processor to run P3Dv2 without over clocking? Thanks for the replies. Merry Christmas and a heppy new year to all

Best Wishes,

Omer

PGT0749.png

Merhaba:

Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 4x 3.40GHz or Intel Xeon E3-1241v3 4x 3.50GHz

Edit: What is your mainboard?

There was similar topic few weeks ago.

It seems that it is better to go for better CPU speed than number of cores. I have 4 core i7-860 with default 2.8 Ghz clock, and I find significant difference in FPS when I overclock it to 3.3 Ghz.

Lukasz

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

An i7 4790K, get a good quality Z97 motherboard (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI) and a good cooler and overclock it - most can do (4.6Ghz-4.8Ghz)

p.s. your 2 780's in SLI won't be any benefit to FSX or P3D at the moment as their is no SLI profile from Nvidia

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

Good single core performance is important with FSX/P3D.

I've got the i7 4790K, easily overclockable given its new metal (I think) TIM.

My computer specs are in my profile, if you guys don't mind checking it and making recommendtions I would be really happy... Thanks guys for the replies btw:)

PGT0749.png

My computer specs are in my profile, if you guys don't mind checking it and making recommendtions I would be really happy... Thanks guys for the replies btw:)

After looking at your specs, I would recommend just overclocking your 3770K, get a better cooler if you need to.

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

My question is, what is the best processor to run P3Dv2 without over clocking?

I'm a stauch believer in single core performance PLUS multicore/HT.  For starters, when P3D goes 64-bit it's possible the rendering engine might exploit multi-core a little better than it does already, and it does currently such that when I use the AffinityMask to allow for 12 cores in HT and dedicate Core1 to the main thread I can dedicate all other apps running to the other 11 cores, the OS to Core0, and see all other cores busily loading textures in the 0-100% use range depending on realtime need.  Further, the 'E' type processors come w/o dedicating any resources to on-board graphics, PLUS they utilize superior heat-conducting thermal interface material, whereas the non-E CPUs don't since Ivy Bridge came along, translating to overall improved overclockability all else being equal.  With this in mind I would recommend Ivy Bridge E and absolutely positively don't shy away from overclocking.  This is just untapped yet pre-paid processing power linearly equivalent to the increase in clock speed w/ little to no risk involved as long as you keep core voltage and heat under a reasonable limit.  I'm using Sandy Bridge-E at 4.32-4.54Ghz on air cooling.  Some flights just don't need the extra frame performance heat and volts so I will use 4.32 for those. P3D is still very CPU limited.   I'm also a fan of building in some upside capacity-just in case--which is why I put in 32Gb of quad channel 2400Mhz ram for the day when P3D goes 64-bit.   I'm hoping there is more flexibility available to programmers who code for 64-bit P3D to allow that memory to be exploited better not just to prevent OOMs, so hope to be better prepar3d, when it does go 64-bit ;o)

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

After looking at your specs, I would recommend just overclocking your 3770K, get a better cooler if you need to.

How can I overclock? Can you help me please?

PGT0749.png

I overclock my 3770K to 4.6Ghz and is very stable with water cooling... plenty of reverences online like this one....

http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclocking-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

Cooling is the key element though...

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

How can I overclock? Can you help me please?

You should be able to set your 3770K to 4.0 GHz in the BIOS, even without any additional cooling.. that is how I run mine.

Bert

*-see youtube using your mother board name, I bet tons of OC tutorial vids. I learnt how to build pc using youtube.