Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

REX Soft Clouds in FSX ?

I've bought it and confirmed what I saw on screenshots earlier - REX 4 looking much better from the ground on fair weaher, REX Soft Clouds looking much better from above on overcast and broken, in clouds and from ground when overcast. Honestly it looks awesome on overcast and broken weather, huge smokey-creamy puffy clouds, like it should be.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

've bought it and confirmed what I saw on screenshots earlier - REX 4 looking much better from the ground on fair weaher, REX Soft Clouds looking much better from above on overcast and broken, in clouds and from ground when overcast. Honestly it looks awesome on overcast and broken weather, huge smokey-creamy puffy clouds, like it should be.

I bought them and they look like blurry  512 textures to me ? Am I missing something ?

I bought them and they look like blurry  512 textures to me ? Am I missing something ?

No, I dont get it either, I'm not  too smart I guess. perhaps they require the Volumetric thingy.

I'm always interested in any add-on that fixes or improves FSX. I've always wanted wispy/voluminous clouds.

1) Do these clouds eliminate the rotating/spinning clouds?

2) Do they blend well with mountains?

Thanks!

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Interesting comments, I get the feeling these are great in P3D but perhaps not as good in FSX.  I am actually pretty happy with my REX4 clouds so will probably just stick with them for now.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

If you want visual realism and flying mostly airliners, then soft clouds are fir you since 80% of the time you will be above them. Flying low and slow, probably Rex4 is better choice. I will stick to soft clouds mostly because I cannot find perfect clouds set in rex4.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

If you want visual realism and flying mostly airliners, then soft clouds are fir you since 80% of the time you will be above them

I'm not sure  I need  to add some tweaks  to the fsx.cfg or nvinspector to see the realism you're talking about. As far i see these clouds are by far the worst set of clouds I have seen.From below and/or above.Just  rergular low def textures.I have fex,rex essential (+overdrive) too. Couldn't find anything worse.I must be missing something.

I agree with what a lot of folks have said. The soft clouds look nice from above but not so much from below.

And they don't solve the 2d spinning cloud issue in P3D v2.

- Bill Magann

I'm not sure  I need  to add some tweaks  to the fsx.cfg or nvinspector to see the realism you're talking about. As far i see these clouds are by far the worst set of clouds I have seen.From below and/or above.Just  rergular low def textures.I have fex,rex essential (+overdrive) too. Couldn't find anything worse.I must be missing something.

My thoughts exactly.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Yes, you're missing something, you're missing a whole lot!.

Didn't do anything but run it to insert new textures and these screenshots will give you an idea how awesome it is, no tweaks involved. Best 11 bucks I ever spent.

FSX, Active Sky Next.

fsx%2B2014-12-31%2B14-07-45-30.jpg

fsx%2B2014-12-31%2B14-08-15-31.jpg

Yes, works very well with mountains.

fsx%2B2014-12-31%2B14-22-48-53.jpg

Don't look good from below? (Ignore the landing lights in the clouds. It's an Air Corps thing, I guess.)

fsx%2B2014-12-31%2B14-13-01-65.jpg

yep same here very pleased  with the measly 10 bucks lol

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

es, you're missing something, you're missing a whole lot!.

Maybe not.I have  resized (down to 512) my rex4  texture direct,fex textures and feel I accomplished the same (blurry  mess).

I have  resized (down to 512) my rex4  texture direct,fex textures and feel I accomplished the same (blurry  mess).

Perhaps that's the problem? The installation instructions say nothing about changing the texture settings. I simply ran the installer, then the program, picked the first Soft Cloud texture set, and went flying. If you have a blurry mess, something must be set up wrong?

fsx%2B2015-01-02%2B05-45-15-01.jpg

fsx%2B2015-01-02%2B05-49-44-19.jpg

fsx%2B2015-01-02%2B06-50-01-19.jpg