Sign in to follow this  
stonelance

Converting FSX content to Flight

I have finally converted FSX World-what an absolute joy to use MS Flight with this scenery/environment!. I have not posted much before but I just wanted to thank Stonelance for all his efforts  

@ Kavinda J.D :smile:
If you can help me to understand this a little. This is a copy of the line in your post #20

C:\Program Files (x86)\Flight Tools\Flight Toolkit\ContentConverter.exe fsx /i:"C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X" /o:"C:\TEST"

I understand it up to fsx, but could you explain " /i:"C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X" /o:"C:\TEST" " :blush:

My fsx is on my D: drive by its self, begining folder is " Program Files (x86) "

This is how my CMD line comes up,  " C:\J. R's> "

And as always all help is greatly appreciated!
J. R.

@jpc55

The /i: indicates the source folder, so where FSX is installed. I think you need to put " " around each path. The /o: indicates the destination folder where the converter puts the temporary conversion files. After FSX World has been enabled in Flight Addon Manager and first used in Flight, the content of this destination folder can be deleted. You can also add a /l: naming a log file, useful to check for any problems in the conversion. Make sure there is at least 7GB free on the drive with the temp folder and 7GB free on the drive with the Flight DLC.

Instead of typing the command for each conversion attempt, you can also create a batch file - here an example of the file I created for the conversion of FSX-SE:

MkDir FSX-SE_Base

"Flight Toolkit\ContentConverter" FSX /l:fsx_se_conversion.log /i:"d:\Program\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX" /o:"FSX-SE_Base"
Pause

In this case the path after /i:is the FSX subfolder of steam on my d drive. For standard boxed FSX the path after /i: would be something like "d:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X".

I put this conversion batch file (a text file with the ending .bat) inside the "Flight Tools" folder, in which you find the "Flight Toolkit" folder. That's why it does not need the full path including drive. Also the Flight Tools folder is on my SSD system drive which speeds up the conversion. A double-click on the batch file starts the conversion. If I remember correctly, you need to ensure user access to the folder and/or rund the batch file as administrator (right mouseclick), as access to program folders is restricted by default.

Thank's for the responce to my question mibmab.
If I understand this correctly, my line to add in the CMD should be

C:\Program Files (x86)\Flight Tools\Flight Toolkit\ContentConverter.exe fsx/i:"D:\Program Files (x86)"/o:"C:\TEST"

My C: does not have a TEST folder in it, do I have to cerate one?
And again thank you!
J. R.

What mibmab said, and you don't have to create the folder.  :lol: 

Unfortunately, your FSX install folder is incorrect. Do you mean “D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Flight Simulator X”?

In which case you need to write this into CMD:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Flight Tools\Flight Toolkit\ContentConverter.exe fsx /i:" D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Flight Simulator X" /o:"C:\TEST"

P.S. The output directory doesn't have to be named "TEST" you can give it your own name! 

Make sure you put spaces after "fsx" and the path. Everything is case sensitive so make sure you put the spaces in the right place. If you need to understand a little more, look at the following - use it for future reference.

ZOchecY.png

• Like 1

Thanks for getting back to me Kavinda J.D :smile:

"Unfortunately, your FSX install folder is incorrect. Do you mean “D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Flight Simulator X”?"

This is what I did to get a clean ins. of FSX. I went to D:\Program Files (x86) and when I opened it up, all my fsx files and folders came up. I selected all of them an cut and pasted them into a folder I created I my Data Disc E:\Program Files (x86). I then got out my Gold Edition FSX and ran repair. It replaced all the files and folders from the FSX programing disc's to D:\Program Files (x86). I do not know how it was directed there, but they are there.??? I fired up FSX to see that it ran, and it worked.

I understand the path of "the Flight Toolkit, but am not sure of the "fsx", unless that is what it is looking for, and in my case

"/i:"D:\Program Files (x86)"??? :wacko:  :BigGrin:

Thanks again for all your help!

J.R.

Great diagram work, KavindaJD!

@jpc55 As explained in the diagram, the "fsx" simply tells the converter that this is an FSX conversion task. As for the source directory - are all FSX files on your system, like the main program fsx.exe and subfolders directly located in you main "Program Files (X86)" folder? That sounds unlikely, as usually the FSX files are all inside a subfolder titled "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" within the program files folder. On my original FSX the installer even put it inside another folder titled "Microsoft Games". You can simply check where the fsx files and folder are it by using the windows explorer.

OK, I found this, "C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Flies/Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator X/FSX"
 and it is a Shortcut that when I right click on it and go to properties it says Target: "D:\Program Files (x86)\fsx.exe",
so that is how it got directed to my D: drive. so my input line to the CMD should read

C:\Program Files (x86)\Flight Tools\Flight Toolkit\ContentConverter.exe fsx/i:"C:\Program Files (x86)"/o:"C:\TEST"

????

Thanks to all.

Ah, ok, so it's all in the main folder. Unusual, but I guess it would work :-)

As for the command line, it's best to put double quotes around the first part. And there needs to be a space after fsx and before /o. Also I assume your /i input folder is on the D drive So your input line should be:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Flight Tools\Flight Toolkit\ContentConverter.exe" fsx /i:"D:\Program Files (x86)" /o:"C:\TEST"

This puts the converted files in the temporary test folder on the c: drive. Before runnind the conversion, check if there is enough space on the C drive (7GB). In the next step you activate FSX World in the Flight Addon Manager tool, which puts the temporary files in the Flight DLC folder. On this drive (usually C als well, but in your case it might be the D drive) you also need at least 7GB free space. You should also activate the World Region UI in the Addon Manager, so it displays a more detailed global map within Flight.

Thanks mibmab, both of my drives are WD Raptor,s C: has 168GB of free space and D: has 69.2BG free so no problem there.

I feel confident enought to run this now.
My greatest appreciation to all for helping me to understand what I want to accomplish here.
Wishing all a good day. :smile:
J.R.

Well done for getting it to work Jack!

I'm also surprised that your FSX folder is named "Program Files (x86)"  :lol: 

Well done also to mibmab for walking Jack through this!  B) 

@ mibmab

I copied and pasted you line of info. to the CMD and after about 12 min. of info. flying by, the content converted stop running and a window opened up and wanted to know if I wanted to go online and see if there was an fix to this problem, I declined. I then went and looked at my C:TEST folder and in it was an FSX World, and a Temp folder. The FSX World folder has 7.93 GB of info. in it, and the Temp folder has 0 in it. I went into flight (NonGFWL) with World Region UI checked, but I have no scenery? How is FSX World access by Flight?  :(

What was the problem on the CMD? It seems that the addon wasn't created. Goto "C:\Users\ASRock\AppData\Local\Flight Tools\Flight Toolkit" and paste the contents of the ContentConverter.log here.

One thing is correct. The test folder should contain an emtpy temp folder and an FSX World folder with all the content. But it seems the conversion stopped with an error in your case before finishing? It might be that in your case the files are not written from the FSX World folder to the DLC folder at the end of the conversion, as this is the last step in the conversion process. Then FSX World will not appear in the list of the Flight Addon Manager for activation

On my system, the command line showed the following three lines at the end of the conversion:

Generating addon files

Writing addon files to the DLC folder

Complete!

These three lines should also be at the end of the log file that KavindaJD mentioned. I think to identify the error, it may be enough to simply copy and paste the last few lines of this ContentConverter.log. The whole log may be too long to past as text. B)

Hey Kavinda J.D and mibmab

At this location "C:\Users\J. R's\AppData\Local\Flight Tools\Flight Toolkit" I have a text document  called ContentConverter and it is 12,936 KB in size. Here is how it ends. I was unable to send it all. Do you think I should just try running it again?

Thanks guys.

"        Warning: Can't convert unmapped FSX library object to Flight: {CC073DED-4F98-45F5-8294-C05110954241}
        Warning: Can't convert unmapped FSX library object to Flight: {CC073DED-4F98-45F5-8294-C05110954241}
  Determining optimal material set
  Converting MDL to Flight .Model...
  Converting textures...
  Converting materials
  Creating material variation
  Writing asset 'C:\TEST\FSX World\materialVar\gen_marina_small03.materialVar' (1 of 6)
  Writing asset 'C:\TEST\FSX World\material\gen_marina_small03_Material_0.material' (2 of 6)
  Writing asset 'C:\TEST\FSX World\material\gen_marina_small03_Material_1.material' (3 of 6)
  Writing asset 'C:\TEST\FSX World\material\gen_marina_small03_Material_2.material' (4 of 6)
  Writing asset 'C:\TEST\FSX World\material\gen_marina_small03_Material_3.material' (5 of 6)
  Writing asset 'C:\TEST\FSX World\model\gen_marina_small03.model' (6 of 6)
  Loading MDL...
  Determining optimal material set
  Converting MDL to Flight .Model...
  Converting textures...
  Converting materials
  Creating material variation
  Writing asset 'C:\TEST\FSX World\materialVar\gen_dock_seaplane_4x10B.materialVar' (1 of 3)
  Writing asset 'C:\TEST\FSX World\material\gen_dock_seaplane_4x10B_Material_0.material' (2 of 3)
  Writing asset 'C:\TEST\FSX World\model\gen_dock_seaplane_4x10B.model' (3 of 3)
Converting models in 'D:\Program Files (x86)\Scenery\Props\scenery'...
  Loading BGL file index: 'D:\Program Files (x86)\Scenery\Props\scenery\scenery_fs_props.bgl'
    Error: Unknown BGL header.
Converting models in 'D:\Program Files (x86)\Scenery\Cities\Reno\scenery'...
  Loading BGL file index: 'D:\Program Files (x86)\Scenery\Cities\Reno\scenery\RENO_image.bgl'
Converting models in 'D:\Program Files (x86)\Scenery\Cities\Istanbul\scenery'...
  Loading BGL file index: 'D:\Program Files (x86)\Scenery\Cities\Istanbul\scenery\Istanbul_image.bgl'
Converting models in 'D:\Program Files (x86)\Scenery\Cities\Longleat\scenery'...
  Loading BGL file index: 'D:\Program Files (x86)\Scenery\Cities\Longleat\scenery\Longleat_image.bgl'
Converting models in 'D:\Program Files (x86)\Scenery\Cities\Berlin\scenery'...
  Loading BGL file index: 'D:\Program Files (x86)\Scenery\Cities\Berlin\scenery\Berlin_image.bgl'
Converting models in 'D:\Program Files (x86)\Scenery\Cities\Edwards_AFB\scenery'...
  Loading BGL file index: 'D:\Program Files (x86)\Scenery\Cities\Edwards_AFB\scenery\kedw_photo.bgl'
Converting models