Sign in to follow this  
stonelance

Converting FSX content to Flight

14 hours ago, tlorey said:

Thanks so much majuh!!! I ran your suggested command twice and now have the files in my TEST folder.

Now my question is: How do I install these files into flight? I opened my flight addon manager, chose install files, and went through everything in my TEST folder but was told that there was nothing in them to install.

The addon should be automatically installed at the end of the conversion process. When opening the Flight Addon Manager, you should see an addon called "FSX World" in the list. You might have to click on the checkbox to activate it.

1 hour ago, majuh said:

The addon should be automatically installed at the end of the conversion process. When opening the Flight Addon Manager, you should see an addon called "FSX World" in the list. You might have to click on the checkbox to activate it.

That was it!!! I now have the world in flight!!! I couldn't have done it without everyone's help. Thank you so much!!!

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, jandjfrench said:

Hi tl,

Did you try what I suggested?  I don't like to provide information that doesn't work and would appreciate feedback on this.  Typing is not my favorite thing is why I suggested opening the CMD window in the Toolkit folder.  By doing this it should not be necessary to enter the full path to ContentConverter.exe.  If you just chose to ignore my suggestion I'd appreciate hearing why.  I don't like the feeling that I'm wasting my time trying to help someone.

Jim F.

Sorry for not giving my thanks to you as well - yes, your suggestion worked perfectly. I apologize for my poor manners in not getting  back to you.

Hi tl,

Good to hear.  I'm always concerned about giving someone bad advice.  I might end up using it myself.  

Someone emailed my support email saying they were crashing during the content conversion using the steam version of FSX. has anyone else ran into problems with this before?  I'm trying ot figure out if maybe they just have bad data

Loading BGL file index: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Dovetail Games - Flight\Microsoft Flight Simulator X Steam Edition\Scenery\EURW\scenery\lisbon.bgl'
  Loading BGL file index: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Dovetail Games - Flight\Microsoft Flight Simulator X Steam Edition\Scenery\EURW\scenery\London.bgl'
  Loading BGL file: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Dovetail Games - Flight\Microsoft Flight Simulator X Steam Edition\Scenery\EURW\scenery\London.bgl'
  Loading MDL...
  Determining optimal material set

Unhandled Exception: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
   at DetermineMaterialShaderPipeline(Model* , Material* )
   at FlightToolkit.OptimizeMaterials(Model* pModel, ConversionOptions* pConversionOptions, unordered_map<int\,int\,std::hash<int>\,std::equal_to<int>\,std::allocator<std::pair<int const \,int> > >* mapOldToNewMaterials, vector<MDL::Material\,std::allocator<MDL::Material> >* vecNewMaterials, vector<int\,std::allocator<int> >* vecMaterialVertexDataFlags)
   at FlightToolkit.ModelConverter.ConvertMDL(Stream stream, String path, IEnumerable`1 textureSearchPaths, String tspName, ILogger logger, OutputTextureFormat outputTextureFormat, Boolean useMDLGuidAsMaterialVariationID, Boolean modelOnly)
   at FlightToolkit.SceneryConverter.ConvertFSXSceneryToFlight(String fsxSceneryCfgPath, String fsxTerrainCfgPath, String outputRootPath, HashSet`1 filesToSkip, HashSet`1 vegetationGroupings, IEnumerable`1 lclookupBgls, ILogger logger, IProgress`1 progress)
   at ContentConverter.Program.Main(String[] args)

10 hours ago, stonelance said:

Someone emailed my support email saying they were crashing during the content conversion using the steam version of FSX. has anyone else ran into problems with this before?  I'm trying ot figure out if maybe they just have bad data

Looking at the file paths, this doesn't seem to be a valid FSX:SE installation. FSX:SE is always located in ...\steamapps\common\FSX

1 hour ago, rhumbaflappy said:

I've had no problems with the FSX:SE conversion, using the latest version of the toolkit.

Dick

The same with me.

Oscar

I installed the world region into Flight a long time ago, but am wondering, is it at all possible to convert custom scenery?

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Theoretically some custom scenery can be converted.  It would be a mostly manual process, but I tried to expose all the bits you would need.  The main thing that isn't supported for conversion is converting terrain rasters.

I have an area that is made up of models, roads and ground polys.  Do you think that would be possible?

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Using Flight, I landed at an airport a while ago that I knew had a control tower.  There were various buildings, hangars, etc., and fuel, but the control tower was missing.  I thought I'd fire up good old FSX and land at the same airport.  Sure enough the control tower was there, as well as jetways that were missing in Flight.  After checking a bunch more airports, I came to the conclusion that several object types did not get converted to Flight.  My question is, should all the airport infrastructure / objects have been converted from FSX to Flight? 

As far as I know, not all objects are converted during convert process, don't know why though, maybe they are not compatible to convert for some reason. Many bridges for example are missing too.

-eelis-

I believe some older airports have a special "tower" scenery placement in the APX, and maybe that isn't converted properly?  I didn't implement polyline bridge extrusions either as they were not supported in Flight and we supported spline based bridges instead.  Not sure about the aprons.  Maybe they were implemented with the old ground polygon systems which I believe are not supported.