Sign in to follow this  
stonelance

Converting FSX content to Flight

You shouldn't delete it if you are going to re-run the conversion again, when the scenery functionalities in the toolkit are updated.

If you wan't to free up some space, then do so, but realize that you will have to wait 45 minutes, if you need to convert again.

So I can delete it but it may be wise to retain my "TempContent" folder.  If I keep it and the tool is updated how would this help me in avoiding re-running the conversion again?

I have noticed some unexpected problems with the converted scenery.  I recall reading a post regarding a hangar at KEDW so I decided to check the area.  I started a free flight on one of the runways and discovered that it was covered with brush and trees.  So a started the flight in the air and saw this:

2016-4-6_8-26-35-757.jpg

I wasn't sure what info to provide that might help in identifying the problem so I checked my TempContent folder and saw this:

scenery.jpg

And when I checked the Scenery.cfg the highest number area was Area.97.

I'm using Flight Toolkit 1.1.22

I do have a completely default installation of Gold.  Any suggestions?

Jim F.

If I keep it and the tool is updated how would this help me in avoiding re-running the conversion again?

The toolkit will replace only the files that are missing or requires updating, instead of converting the whole lot.

w.r.t. The bushes on the runway, we will have to check that out outrselves but note that the scenery conversion isn't perferct as of yet. There are still some bugs here and there that stonelance hasn't had the time to sort out.

The bulk of the scenery converison is done, it's just some cleaning up has to be done. :smile:

Hi JD,

If I understand this correctly all I have to do, if I have added scenery, is run the converter exactly like I did before (same exact text in the CMD box) and the converter will only add the new scenery to the existing.

The runway vegetation was more of a heads up.  I didn't recall that it was mentioned previously.  I really don't expect any anomaly I note to be given any priority!  But while I'm at it I checked out the San Francisco area and everything looked very good but that static carrier off the coast was missing the island.  Also neither the Flight or Hangar decks are landable.

2016-4-6_9-30-49-839.jpg

2016-4-6_9-33-51-438.jpg

Jim F.

If I understand this correctly all I have to do, if I have added scenery, is run the converter exactly like I did before (same exact text in the CMD box) and the converter will only add the new scenery to the existing.

Yeah, that's right. If it's a major change (very unlikely!), we may have to run the converter again. 

However, the cleaning up is really to do with landclasses and autogen annotations (sorry, I'm no scenery expert) and will require some updates to the Iclookup.bgl file.

The toolkit will target those files only.

As far as the carrier goes, we'll have to look into that one!

Nice find though!

By "if I add scenery" do you mean if you add scenery to FSX and want to convert it?  Likely that won't work, and if it did you would probably want to clear your temp folder.  The only reason to keep it is if I make a bug fix which requires you to rerun the conversion of the base FSX content.

FSX converted models don't have collision geometry so you can't crash into them, or land on them (Flight uses the same system for both, unlike FSX).

I am one of many who really appreciate having the World available in Flight.  Just having the generic airport infrastructure adds a lot.  But every now and then I come across an airport that has special, unique objects, that would only be found at that airport.  KEDW is a great example, Boeing Field is another.  So the scenery conversion works on more than just the common objects. I'm guessing that the remaining FSX objects that don't convert are going to be difficult and/or very time consuming?

Wowwww!!!!!   What a view!! Good job. Does the engine sound?  Go ahead with the good work. I've done some alpha conversions of fsx planes but no sound at all. At least they fly, some have landing lights and one of them have working gauges but none of them have sound.   :smile:

Yeah they do. :wink:

The sound doesn't get converted automatically, instead it has to be done by hand..

Bear in mind, that the conversion from the Addon Builder is not perfect, a lot of work has to be done by hand if you want to get a working aircraft. :)

Aha, there she is.

But, while installing I get the message: Failed to install addon. License was not accepted.

I have the latest toolkit and all addons installed without any trouble.

What to do?

Beech Baron 58 installed fine on mine, what a beauty! Thank you very much for that.

-eelis-