Sign in to follow this  
stonelance

Converting FSX content to Flight

My installation is fully working.  Let me know what I can provide to assist you.

Always remember to Find Your FUN!

-Bob

Update:

I've completed a re-install of FSX and installed Acceleration on top of it, and ran ContentConverter on the new install.

I'm happy to report that Flight now runs without crashing in the SF area, and the Golden Gate bridge and other SF landmarks load properly. I also moved to a few other areas without incident.

Not sure what to make of this other than a conflict in the SF area with the original FSX program and the conversion process for Flight, or my original install of FSX simply was flawed. In either case it now works as it should.

J.D., you might want to consider re-doing yours as well (if you haven't already) and see what happens.

Thanks to all who have responded with your interest in trying to help to resolve this, and Steve I hope this helps you in some way.

Ken

Great to see you up and running again Ken!
I did try a clean install of Acceleration but to no avail...I was still seeing no bridge! 

I will try one more time and that is it - I've done this install a couple times already!

We'll see....

The game is crashing for me in Tokyo, these are the last entries in the error log:

(35.553202, 139.781204): LOD '3' contains no meshes.  Only the lowest LOD is allowed to have no meshes.
(35.553202, 139.781204): Model 'yokahama_bay_bridge' failed to load.

The game is crashing for me in Tokyo, these are the last entries in the error log:

(35.553202, 139.781204): LOD '3' contains no meshes.  Only the lowest LOD is allowed to have no meshes.

(35.553202, 139.781204): Model 'yokahama_bay_bridge' failed to load.

The game crashes here as well when loading Tokyo and I get the same lines in the error log.

Yeah, this sparks my memory now.  If the model for any scenery object fails to load it reports a content error, and then it was supposed to just ignore the object, but there is a bug in Flight where it ends up crashing afterwards.  I'll look into fixing the model conversion to fix up any of those models that have empty LODs.

@mibmab and majuh: Try a flight around SF do you still get the same error?

Regarding my crash in the SF Area:
...I reinstalled FSX and Acceleration for the third time now - converted everything but there is still no model and there is NO REFERENCE that the model failed to load in the ContentErrors.log; just a lot of missing assets:

xxgTihO.jpg

ampEUlK.jpg

However, one bridge did manage to convert:

IcPxXD6.jpg

@mibmab and majuh: Try a flight around SF do you still get the same error?

@KavindaJD: I've flown around SF, along Alcatraz and under the Golden Gate Bridge. It worked fine without crash - and it does load and show the Golden Gate Bridge in my installation. I converted it based on a fresh install of the FSX Steam Edition. I'll try again later to see what the error log says. I've also got an install of the standard FSX plus Accelleration pack, so I could try to see if any errors or crashes appear with that version by doing another conversion. Though I doubt that Dovetail updated or changed the data that is converted.

I've also got an install of the standard FSX plus Acceleration pack, so I could try to see if any errors or crashes appear with that version by doing another conversion. Though I doubt that Dovetail updated or changed the data that is converted.

If you could that would be great! I really have no idea why I'm not seeing some models. 

Thanks!

If you could that would be great! I really have no idea why I'm not seeing some models. 

Thanks!

No problem. If I remember correctly from another post of stonelance, I guess I'd have to simply empty/rename the destination folder and then rerun the conversion tool from the other source directory. Related to that - does anyone know a tool to test for differences in files structure/content? This could show if there are differences between the standard and steam edition of FSX files after conversion to MS Flight.

Andreas

Most professionals use BeyondCompare, but I think you have to pay for it.  Apparently this is free: http://winmerge.org/

To think about it though, using file comparison probably won't be super useful because the GUIDs it generates during conversion are different every time.

Most professionals use BeyondCompare, but I think you have to pay for it.  Apparently this is free: http://winmerge.org/

To think about it though, using file comparison probably won't be super useful because the GUIDs it generates during conversion are different every time.

Good point. I made instead a comparison between the original FSX and FSX_SE folders using winmerge. There are indeed some files with binary differences, including the BGL files of main cities in the scenery folder. This includes San Francisco and Tokyo, though in the latter one my install of the SE version crashed as well.

If it's of any use, I can provide the file detailing the differences.

Good point. I made instead a comparison between the original FSX and FSX_SE folders using winmerge. There are indeed some files with binary differences, including the BGL files of main cities in the scenery folder. This includes San Francisco and Tokyo, though in the latter one my install of the SE version crashed as well.

If it's of any use, I can provide the file detailing the differences.

That could be very useful! I think you may have solved why users have been getting different results with the conversion...

That could be very useful! I think you may have solved why users have been getting different results with the conversion...

San Francisco works on my system with both conversions, old and SE, including displaying the Golden Gate Bridge, while Tokyo crashes on both versions. So I'm not sure if it helps anything knowing the files that are different. Anyway - here is a link to the html listing those files that differ between the original folders:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43239562/comparison_file_difference_fsx_vs_fsx_SE.html