Sign in to follow this  
Mark_A

Touch and Go FMC setup

Hello

To carry out touch and go's I setup the FMC as you would for a normal flight, with departure and arrival airport set the same. The main data I'm after are V speeds and a map reference of the touch and go runway for guidance purposes.

What I've found is on touchdown after the first circuit the FMC deletes the departure/arrival airport data, V speeds, and ZFW reference. Is there a way around the deletion of this data for touch and go's?

Thanks

It Doesn't matter you don't need take off speeds for touch and go.

After touch down, just rotate when the speed reaching Vref speed or the bug speed to normal take off pitch settings. And after life off if you want the FD back just press TOGA and flip the FD switch back, you can use the AP above 200ft if you want. change modes as you like after 400ft. Then at 400' initiate a turn with 25 deg AOB and continue climb to 1500' AGL or 1000' AGL depends what you wanna do. Try to use raw data for circuits the whole way, it more fun.

Map reference, use 10nm CTR map mode, and to begin with just put the ILS appr of the Rwy from the FM and use the DME distance for you profile after turning on the base leg. After gaining some experience all you need is the Rwy symbol with the extended centerline on the ND which stays there all the time after take off.

You are right. Mark  The FMS flight path is deleted by the Boeing FMC as each successive waypoint is passed.   I pondered over why this has to be, and the only rationale that came to mind was that the automatic deletion of the flight path that has been flown would be to prevent the FMS computers from getting confused if the pilot programmed in a flight path that took the aircraft close to previously over-flown waypoints.

To fly touch-and-go circuits, I think you will have no choice but to hit the reset button and restart the flight after each successful landing and rollout, bearing in mind that sometimes, the EHIS flight path does NOT reappear after a flight reset has been initiated. 

Best regards from Tony, at the helm of the flying desk.

Adding a waypoint to the route seems to have resolved the problem. All that is deleted now after touchdown is the V-Ref which can be re-selected, ZFW and Origin/Destination/RWY remain.

Adding a waypoint to the route seems to have resolved the problem. All that is deleted now after touchdown is the V-Ref which can be re-selected, ZFW and Origin/Destination/RWY remain.

Wow ! Now I have got to try this idea of simply adding a new waypoint along the way after takeoff.  It is so time-consuming having to either reset the flight, or, if that doesn't produce the EHSI display of my programmed flight path, having to end the flight, just to re-load it again for my next touch-and-go circuit. 

Best regards from Tony, at the helm of the flying desk.

The runway symbol should definitely remain on the ND even after the route completes and remains inactive in the FMC. I haven't checked this out yet in my PMDG - but I know from experience the runway symbol remains on the aircraft. Also for ccts, I teach setting the runway into the fix page (it has to be line selected from the LEGS page) with a course along the runway centerline, and a 3nm arc. The 3 mile arc gives you a 1000 ft aim point/check height as you turn onto crosswind from the 1500 ft cct. I'll dig up a document I have somewhere on doing touch and go's in the 777 we put together for the base training we did back in 2009 if that would be useful.

Thanks Ken, circuits with no automatics is a basic fundamental I'd like to master. I find the MAP reference to the runway with a 3nm arc is definitely needed, otherwise I'm all over the place - single pilot ops doesn't help either.

The runway symbol should definitely remain on the ND even after the route completes and remains inactive in the FMC. I haven't checked this out yet in my PMDG - but I know from experience the runway symbol remains on the aircraft. Also for ccts, I teach setting the runway into the fix page (it has to be line selected from the LEGS page) with a course along the runway centerline, and a 3nm arc. The 3 mile arc gives you a 1000 ft aim point/check height as you turn onto crosswind from the 1500 ft cct. I'll dig up a document I have somewhere on doing touch and go's in the 777 we put together for the base training we did back in 2009 if that would be useful.

Hi Ken,

I would love to see the document.  I've found the posts on your website extremely interesting so any info you have would be welcomed!

Chris B. Trane

I'll hunt it down and tidy it up first. I have also been promising a de (airline) identified copy of the P&T which I will do as well.