Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

Contact with AirAsia flight QZ8501 bound for Singapore from Surabaya lost

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/contact-with-airasia-flight-qz8501-bound-for-singapore-from-surabaya-lost-033803688.html

Indonesia air traffic control lost contact with AirAsia flight QZ8501 bound for Singapore from the Indonesian city of Surabaya was lost on Sunday morning.

Passengers on board the Airbus A380-200 include 130 adults, 24 children and one infant, according to Indonesia media reports.

The aircraft reportedly lost contact with Jakarta air traffic control at 6:17am local time, while it was flying over Kalimantan island.

Trikora Hardjo, the general manager of Indonesia's Airport Company, Angkasa Pura II, said that they are still waiting for more information.

According to Flightradar, the status of the flight QZ8501, which left Juanda International airport in Surabaya at 5:35am and was scheduled to arrive in Singapore at 8:30am, was "unknown".

Missing around 4 hours. ughhh

ZORAN

Yup, aircraft has gone down somewhere. The area is quite hilly, and rumors are of the usual localiser thunderstorms. What a tragedy.

Yup, aircraft has gone down somewhere. The area is quite hilly, and rumors are of the usual localiser thunderstorms. What a tragedy.

Was at cruise altitude so shouldn't be the weather

ZORAN

In this area it is quite common to see towering CB to F600, deviations around weather are not unusual and severe turbulence is also a not uncommon occurrence. They requested a deviation so it was most likely weather. What happened after is what we are most interested in, you can only hope for some miraculous outcome, but am afraid the aviation world is set for more tragedy.

I just saw it went missing over the Java sea....and regarding weather at cruise not being a factor, I guess the folks at Air France and others will disagree.

This is a weather radar snapshot of the area, it is from a twitter account doing the rounds in aviation forums....

https://twitter.com/thatjohn/status/549063597087653889/photo/1

I am flying back to Sydney with AirAsia tomorrow. I've flown with them many times before without any issues.

I am assuming the disappearance of the aircraft was most likely caused by bad weather.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I live in the South Pacific and yes it can get extremely violent all the way up to 60,000 feet. I have experienced extremely bad conditions flying in the South Pacific at cruse altitudes up to 40,000 feet.

One of the scariest I have ever experienced was on a 747-400 between New Zealand and Hawaii. I was sitting in the rear of the aircraft and you could look down the aisle of the aircraft and see the fuselage flex, look out the window and see the wings flex and see the engine pods rocking. The aircraft is designed to do this but still very scary to watch and hear it

Matthew Kane

Let's hope we don't have another MH370. Prayers to the families...

I think it will be closer to an AF447 type incident, as bad weather was reported in the area. +1 Prayers to the families.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Who confirmed it? Can't find anything online?

Hirdy it was reported in the major Jakarta online news, but appears they were incorrect.