Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

Contact with AirAsia flight QZ8501 bound for Singapore from Surabaya lost

is a good news source these days, they even have the loadsheet for the Aircraft

Indonesia frequently has bad weather, i have flown from Jakarta a number of times, i honestly don't recall a smooth flight, it's on a par with the Chengdu Plateau and the Bay of Bengal / Andaman sea, but for different reasons.  It's not been a good year for aviation safety, or at least the perception of it.

Ian R Tyldesley

I wonder if it could be possible that these disappearing aircraft are being hijacked and stored, to use later as flying bombs by terrorists?

I never heard of aircraft vanishing without any trace until now.

Aircrafts vanashing is nothing new.

There were planes that were found after 70 years. (Burried under snow and ice)

News reportage here in Australia(WA) that the Capt(over 6k hours) asked for an altitude increase to 38k because of high clouds/weather and route deviation.

Fingers crossed it turns out okay. That area cannot afford another tragedy.

News reportage here in Australia(WA) that the Capt(over 6k hours) asked for an altitude increase to 38k because of high clouds/weather and route deviation.

Reminds me of Air France 447.  But, they were out of radio contact.

They will find the wreckage of this one pretty soon, I'm afraid.

Looking at that radar shot it is very possible that it broke up inflight without having a chance to contact anyone.

Looking at that radar shot it is very possible that it broke up inflight without having a chance to contact anyone.

That would be worrying, unless there was a significant maintenance issue the only other jet passenger aircraft i can think of to suffer structural failure due to weather was BOAC Flight 911 in 1966.

It would certainly make me think twice about flying.

Ian R Tyldesley

I wonder if it could be possible that these disappearing aircraft are being hijacked and stored, to use later as flying bombs by terrorists?

I never heard of aircraft vanishing without any trace until now.

Presumably you're joking! Otherwise don't start all that nonsense again!!

Oceans are very big.

That would be worrying, unless there was a significant maintenance issue the only other jet passenger aircraft i can think of to suffer structural failure due to weather was BOAC Flight 911 in 1966.

It would certainly make me think twice about flying.

Yes and there's a photo of it falling in a flat spin. I was in a VC10 once over the Bosphous when we hit clear air turbulence. We suddenly dropped 1,000ft like a brick with the wings bent about 8 feet at the tips. Had thet been a 707 I think that too would have broken up.

My goodness, isn't it a little bit early to start with the conspiracy theory bull?  After watching all of the sensationalism about MH370, and seeing every former "expert" on tv in a mindless stream of consciousness provide no real information, but yet still remain glued to the television, and 50+ threads of garbage on Airliners.net, just like the sucker that I'm supposed to be, I said "no more!"  If I have the TV on, and they are talking about this new crash, I'm just going to change the channel because it is media at it's most empty.

My goodness, isn't it a little bit early to start with the conspiracy theory bull?  After watching all of the sensationalism about MH370, and seeing every former "expert" on tv in a mindless stream of consciousness provide no real information, but yet still remain glued to the television, and 50+ threads of garbage on Airliners.net, just like the sucker that I'm supposed to be, I said "no more!"

Nothing like the 582 pages of garbage on PPRuNE.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

The wx in that radar screenie looked really rough.  Prayers for the families.

When I hear about aircraft crashes (yes I know this still needs to be confirmed but I think we know where this is going), I have a tendency to convince myself that its isolated for reason x or y.  And while every accident is very rare statistically, this one raises more concern....after all we have all been on A320's at cruise so the possibility that something went wrong in this part of the flight is very scary.  Specific to this incident, I did do a double take when seeing that weather radar shot and was wondering at first if I was misreading the chart but now I have to wonder why any pilot would fly in those conditions.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

If another passenger asks me while I'm DHing in uniform... "so, what do YOU think happened to that missing airplane" I will slap them. 

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Here's the SIGWX charts of the area of interest.

Just the odd towering thunderstorm up to 50,000ft.

sigwx.jpg

"Kate" isn't just some guys wifes name either.

Western Australian newspaper here in Perth this morning reporting that same aircraft had made 38 Perth-Bali flights this year, so maintenance would, presumably, not be an issue here.

Let's keep hopes up.