Sign in to follow this  
~Craig~

A couple of tips for FSX:SE users

Beware. I was informed, by a very reputable developer to NOT delete that from the registry. I have had a clean standalone installation of FSX-SE and it has both The Steam and FSX 10 registry entries. Just asking ?

[snipped].

Yes - a FSX:SE installation does indeed have both registry entries. ("10.0" and ("-Steam Edition").

My advice above is about deleting these, before a new fresh, install of FSX:SE..... not deleting searching for them and deleting them after FSX:SE is installed properly.

So to clarify;-

Once FSX:SE is installed properly; do not under any circumstances search for, and delete either of the registry entries ("10.0" or "-Steam Edition".

The advice to delete those files is about before you have your clean install;  so if you have uninstalled FSX and just want to install a fresh, correct installation of FSX:SE.    In that case, the registry entries should be removed before the fresh install is performed.

Ok, thx Craig. I know it cause them some grief. They were one of the first to have an installer for FSX-SE and I was the first to purchase...and it needed fixed. :)

Ok, thx Craig. I know it cause them some grief. They were one of the first to have an installer for FSX-SE and I was the first to purchase...and it needed fixed. :)

Ah ok, no probs! :smile:

I've edited my post above, with a clarification that the Registry Entries must only be deleted prior to a fresh install of FSX:SE, and that both entries will then re-appear after the fresh install, and not be removed.

One other question, can i install Steam into root C:Stream and not the topical "Program Files" folder

One other question, can i install Steam into root C:Stream and not the topical "Program Files" folder

Yes you can. My Steam folder is on my E: drive.

- Bill Magann

When clicking on 'Install' for your FSX:SE product in the Steam library, you get multiple install options, so pretty useful.

ok thanks, going for a clean install of FSX-SE, so going to follow your steps for uninstalling both FSX and FSX-SE. When i uninstall FSX-SE, does that mean the whole steam folder will be un-installed also

Gents,

Just jumped on the Bandwagon and purchased FSX SE but still not down loaded.

I have a fully working FSX on my D drive this has ASN/Aerosoft Airports UK2000 Aiports and the Aerosoft Airbus....yes I am tube flyer.

All works very well, but I thought well why the Steam version is on offer lets jump in..

So to my question I have a spare SSD Drive E if I install to this would it mess up the original? also would installing all the above again mess up the original....

I do not want to at this stage remove FSX...but will do if FSX SE is the better one...best to leave it run FSX and watch development. Or install to E drive?

Would I really see any improvement over what I have now....FSX it runs well..no stutters at all...tried P3D and the scenery was for ever stuttering...as no VS available via NI..so gave up on that..

Anyway...this is where I am now so any advice..

Many Thanks Happy New Year To All

ok thanks, going for a clean install of FSX-SE, so going to follow your steps for uninstalling both FSX and FSX-SE. When i uninstall FSX-SE, does that mean the whole steam folder will be un-installed also

Good question.

Strangely no.   When you uninstall FSX:SE, using the Steam GUI ...... it claims FSX:SE is then 'unistalled' but if you go to the FSX:SE 'root folder' on your PC, you'll see all the folders are still there!!!!

So my advice would be ;-

• Unistall FSX:SE using Steam.
  • Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common  ......... and delete the whole 'FSX' folder within it.
  • Perform the Registry Cleaning to remove FSX and/or FSX:SE's reg entries (covered earlier in the thread).
  • Re-install FSX:SE
  • Re-install the old Simmconnects at ;-  C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\

You're good to go.

Gents,

Just jumped on the Bandwagon and purchased FSX SE but still not down loaded.

I have a fully working FSX on my D drive this has ASN/Aerosoft Airports UK2000 Aiports and the Aerosoft Airbus....yes I am tube flyer.

All works very well, but I thought well why the Steam version is on offer lets jump in..

So to my question I have a spare SSD Drive E if I install to this would it mess up the original? also would installing all the above again mess up the original....

I do not want to at this stage remove FSX...but will do if FSX SE is the better one...best to leave it run FSX and watch development. Or install to E drive?

Would I really see any improvement over what I have now....FSX it runs well..no stutters at all...tried P3D and the scenery was for ever stuttering...as no VS available via NI..so gave up on that..

Anyway...this is where I am now so any advice..

Many Thanks Happy New Year To All

I think I'd probably advise you to stick with your current FSX installation.  (and move to FSX:SE once other addons are compatible and you're ready to move to it as your sole version of FSX).

The reason I say this is that, the notion of a 'dual install' of FSX and FSX:SE is actually a fallacy... it doesn't work!

Let's say you have boxed FSX installed and you then install FSX:SE......   once you install FSX:SE it 'steals' the registry entry from boxed FSX, and you will not be able to easily install any add-ons in to 'boxed FSX'.       Reversion (unistalling FSX:SE with a view to returning to using FSX) has worked for some, but for others, it has left their FSX pretty messed up.

For example, when I unistalled some addons from FSX:SE ...... when I then went into 'boxed FSX' I found they were also uninstalled from that sim too!

So my personal advice would be that if you're installing FSX:SE and already have boxed FSX installed, that you do so with the view that your boxed FSX installation is really just a back-up reference of certain elements (like the FSX.CFG) that you may want to still keep and refer to.

But the scenario ever with FSX:SE, is to have it as a sole install, with a Registry properly cleaned beforehand.   Parallel installs seem fine - while you're using FSX:SE - but if you try going back to your FSX installation, you could be in for a shock.

Quick question:

I didn't read all the posts, so it may have been covered, but I was feeling lazy ;-D

I would just like to clarify from any of you tech savvy folks; can I have my boxed version of FSX and FSX-SE installed on the same computer without problems? And in so doing, can I run one or the other separately as I see fit?

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Quick question:

I didn't read all the posts, so it may have been covered, but I was feeling lazy ;-D

I would just like to clarify from any of you tech savvy folks; can I have my boxed version of FSX and FSX-SE installed on the same computer without problems? And in so doing, can I run one or the other separately as I see fit?

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Yes and Yes.  I just completed a psuedo side-by-side install, putting FSX-SE into a 2nd User Account. That account was a clone of my primary account so it had all the registry entires for my FSX install. The FSX-SE installer saw these and did the side-by-side install.

I did the 2nd account just to insure the two would not interfer with one another. I had actually created the 2nd account for my P3D V2.4 install. I can rapidly log off one account and onto the other to fire up FSX, P3D or now FSX-Se.

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Craig,

Many thanks sound advice, what I was thinking..no point going down the FSX SE route until all ad dons are up and running...

Will be interesting re performance...I have the Highmem fix affinity mask and FFTF in my FSX and it runs so well along with NI?.

I know FSX SE has Highmem already so once I add the others..should be even better...will pass judgement then...

Many thanks and happy new year to you..

Bomb squad see my post above re dual install which Craig has answered..best to steer clear of dual installs as the Reg gets modified...

Thank you very much folks. My FSX runs pretty good and I have quite a few add-ons that I use extensively; I bought FSX-SE partly because it was only 5$ but also considering maybe...just maybe Dovetail will move beyond the distro license and fix some of the larger issues...i.e. the whole silly 32 bit nonsense. Anyway, seems to me there is little point in installing SE until it is better than what I have now and all my add-on goodies become transportable/compatible.

Nice thing about Steam....it'll be there whenever I get to it.

Thanks again all.

Thank you very much folks. My FSX runs pretty good and I have quite a few add-ons that I use extensively; I bought FSX-SE partly because it was only 5$ but also considering maybe...just maybe Dovetail will move beyond the distro license and fix some of the larger issues...i.e. the whole silly 32 bit nonsense. Anyway, seems to me there is little point in installing SE until it is better than what I have now and all my add-on goodies become transportable/compatible.

Nice thing about Steam....it'll be there whenever I get to it.

Thanks again all.

My experience in all honesty is that FSX:SE is running considerably better than FSX.   Pete Dowson has seen similar results.  Frame Rates and smoothness are better in like for like scenarios between FSX:SE and FSX.    However, it's the fact that some addons (eg PMDG) are not working in FSX:SE that, I personally think. should cause some people to hold off at this point.

Thats the biggest hang up for me at the moment. If all of my expensive add-on software would work I would switch over.

Why do you suppose SE seems to run better tit for tat than the boxed version? After so many years; what did Dovetail do that no one else has tried, and can we do it with the boxed version?

Just pondering.