Sign in to follow this  
~Craig~

A couple of tips for FSX:SE users

Craig said: "Re-install the old Simmconnects at ;- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\"

I did this and now I get an error when I start up FSX-SE (fresh solo install)

Doesn't like ObjectFlow.dll and the ObjectFlow_SAK from the ORBX Objects Library.. If I rename them to "*.xdll" the message goes away.. I think I read somewhere that ORBX is fixing this. Don't have a clue what disabling them will do to the sim. Before I reinstalled the old Simmconnects, I didnt get the error. Made a couple flights and everything works okay. Many thanks!

Steve Canham

Craig said: "Re-install the old Simmconnects at ;- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\"

I did this and now I get an error when I start up FSX-SE (fresh solo install)

Doesn't like ObjectFlow.dll and the ObjectFlow_SAK from the ORBX Objects Library.. If I rename them to "*.xdll" the message goes away.. I think I read somewhere that ORBX is fixing this. Don't have a clue what disabling them will do to the sim. Before I reinstalled the old Simmconnects, I didnt get the error. Made a couple flights and everything works okay. Many thanks!

This isn't caused by re-installing the legacy simconnects.  Reinstalling old simmconnects cannot cause errors in FSX, they simply become 'available' for any program that may use that version.  But what has happened here is that, by re-intstalling the legacy simconnects, you've effectively gotten past the first barrier of non-compatibility between Orbx's ObjectFlow, and FSX:SE.    The problem is, the rest of the work isn't completed by Orbx to make ObjectFlow compatible yet, so hence you get the error because - since you installed the legacy Simconnects - SE can now 'contact' the legacy Simconnects, but other parts of the ObjectFlow functionality aren't yet compatible with SE    - although as you alluded, Orbx are working hard to make ObjectFlow compatible.

Renaming the Objectflow DLLs (to make them inactive) -  just as you did  - is all that needs to be done here, until Orbx release FSX:SE compatible ObjectFlow modules.

Hi

Ive cleaned out fsx files etc and registry as suggested, also deleted all fsxse files and registry, so all in all a ckean install of fsxse could be done

Ok reinstalled fsxse, and works fine, but on some addons it looks for fsx.cfg in the appdata/roaming/Microsoft/ fsx folder, on reinstall my folders have renamed to fsx-se, so some addons cant find the .cfg its the same for programdata and local files.

Now im told that when you do a clean install of fsxse it makes all the folders fsx and not fsx-se is this correct?

The only fsx folders I can find are in the steam common where everything has been placed under fsx

Hope ive explained ok

Anyone help please or can answer my question

MhZy

...only fsx folders I can find are in the steam common...

The intention of FSX-SE is to look like FSX when installed. But if any component of original FSX is found during the install, then the FSX-SE install is elevated to the dual mode. If you've installed FSX-SE in dual mode, then that will have to be removed in full too, before installing again in single mode. I've just walked up to a couple of PC's, removed FSX, and installed FSX-SE, the folders and files appear like regular FSX, apart from the program files folder, that will be found in SteamApps. But that's straightforward for addons, FSX has always had the capability to install anywhere, it's the supporting folders that are the worry:

make sure you got rid of these:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX

C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

cfg:

C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG

documents:

C:\Users\<you>\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

pics:

C:\Users\<you>\Pictures\Flight Simulator X Files

and see that the registry key is removed:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0

FSX-SE installed alone as FSX:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX

C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

cfg:

C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG

documents:

C:\Users\<you>\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

pics:

C:\Users\<you>\Pictures\Flight Simulator X Files

FSX-SE installed parallel to FSX:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE

C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX-SE

C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

cfg:

C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\fsx_se.CFG

documents:

C:\Users\<you>\Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files

pics:

C:\Users\<you>\Pictures\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files

registry key (64bit o/s shown)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\DovetailGames\FSX

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

This advice applies to FSX / FSX:SE parallel installs only!

Firstly, one of the things FSX:SE users may have noticed is that add-on scenery that is installed using the proper installer, never gets automatically added to your Scenery Library and always needs to be added manually within the sim.

This is because all scenery installers for FSX, add the scenery by updating the Scenery.cfg file, and in the boxed version of FSX, this file is located at :-

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\Scenery.cfg

So an installer that was intended for the boxed version of FSX, will always update the Scenery.cfg at the above location.  But the location for the Scenery.cfg in FSX:SE changed.

The Scenery.cfg for FSX:SE is located at the subtley different :-

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE\Scenery.cfg

So this is why scenery installed into FSX:SE is never automatically added to your scenery library (even if the installer path correctly points to the FSX:SE installation location  (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX).

There are two solutions to this problem:-

1). Simply add scenery manually using the Scenery Library within FSX:SE,

or,

2). You can temporarily change the names of the scenery.cfg paths, so that scenery is installed directly into FSX:SE...... but you must remember to then change it back!

So, if you also have boxed FSX installed too, this involves firstly, temporarily renaming the 'FSX' folder within the above file path (the part marked in green), to something like 'FSXbackup'.

Then simply change the 'FSX-SE' folder within the above file path (again, the bit in green), to 'FSX'.

Now when you run any scenery installer for FSX, the scenery will be properly added to FSX:SE's scenery library as it should be.

It is essential that you change the names of both of these folder back to their original 'FSX' and 'FSX:SE' names, once you've finished installing scenery, and before launching either FSX or FSX:SE  !

===========================

Secondly, it appears from reports so far, that users who already have boxed FSX installed, and then install FSX:SE tend to have a more successful time with installers that were made for boxed FSX, and in them locating FSX:SE's updated location, via Registry.

However some users, may want to delete boxed FSX, and start solely using FSX:SE, for ease of management, hard disk capacity etc.

In this case, it is advised not to uninstall boxed FSX using it's standard uninstaller.  The reason for this is that whereas FSX and FSX:SE do share some registry elements (which is why when you install FSX:SE after boxed FSX, most installers automatically know and point to the FSX:SE location), but other Registry elements are not shared.

If you do currently have both boxed FSX and FSX:SE installed, and wish to remove boxed FSX, I'd suggest at this time that the best way of doing this is simply to manually delete your Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder.   This contains all core files and for most users will be many Gigabytes in size.   Expect deletion to take around 20 minutes+.

This will restore all of the HD space that FSX was taking up, but without messing up the registry elements.  If you use FSX's uninstall process, it will unistall at least some of FSX:SE's Registry elements!

Manually deleting your FSX folder is also good because it will retain directories like your FSX.CFG (which you may want to keep to refer to), and the Scenery.cfg as noted above  - both of which are in different locations from the main FSX folder that you're deleting here.

Of course going forward, both of these steps should eventually become redundant;  once native FSX:SE addons are released via Steam (or even 3rd parties) they will have native abilities to point to the correct Scenery.cfg files, and similarly, eventually it's hoped that DTG / Steam will update FSX:SE to remove all Registry confusions between the sims.    What we really need until that time is a 'switch' that automatically changes all file paths (sim installation, fsx.cfg, scenery.cfg) according to which sim we want to install an add-on in to.

Thanks for sharing with us !

Congratulations to your pretty job.

Warmly,

Marco Aurelio