Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Anyone believe FSCaptain significantly increases OOM risk?

I'm completely puzzled about this and was looking for affirmation or not that FSCaptain might be the culprit.  This is the honest to God truth of my experience:  have had a stable, unchanging P3D V2.2 install since 2.2 debuted.  I've had all of the following scenery loaded as soon as installers became available:

1.  FTX Global, PNW, CRM, NCA

2.  REX E+ & TD

3.  QW757, RA TDuke, RA Legacy, CS Super MD-80 Pro

I have flown countless flights in these, however due to borderline performance in regional sceneries on long flights (including transatlantic & cross country US, and may 2-4h flights) I would often just enable FTX Global only.  Never have I had an OOM until about a week ago when I installed 3 new products for me:

1.  FSCaptain

2.  FSDT Hawaiian Airports, all three packages

3.  Accu-Feel

So, I uninstalled both the Hawaiian Airports & Accu-Feel, primarily because I'm really like FSCaptain and hoped this would not be the culprit, but I guess it still could be.

Now, I can't complete a flight even from KSLC into KSFO w/o the OOM happening upon arrival IF I have North America active in the FTX control panel.   Last night I did a KLAS to KSFO w/ NCA active, and same thing OOM'd out.

I'm completely puzzled about this change for me since I never has had this happen, not even once, so I have to think it had something to do with installing & now uninstalling the two add-ons I just mentioned, and/or FSCaptain which I'm still using.  

Just checking, has anyone found FSCaptain to have an issue in this regard?   Of note, I can still complete my typical 1-3h flights using Global only, but as I say for the past many moons I had no issues using FTX North America regions in these sorts of flights, so absolutely positively, something changed this picture.

Any idea if FSCaptain is possibly to blame?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Any idea if FSCaptain is possibly to blame?

I use FSCaptain all the time, it doesn't appear to have any significant issue regarding OOM's; certainly nothing like add-on airports or complex aircraft.

Should be fairly easy to test, just try completing a flight without loading FSCaptain.

Ian R Tyldesley

I use FSCaptain all the time, it doesn't appear to have any significant issue regarding OOM's; certainly nothing like add-on airports or complex aircraft.

Should be fairly easy to test, just try completing a flight without loading FSCaptain.

Yes you're right I can test this which I am right now-duplicating the one that died about 30nm's short of KSFO last evening.  I am comparing a near identical flight right now, same path, same textures, slightly different weather but not much.   It is a total mystery to me why I'm now getting these when for months and months zero OOMs, not one.

I just remembered--made one other change which was to update REX4 TD w/ the two new texture updates, but so far I've only installed one new texture, and it was a wave animation.  Something's happened and I'm grasping at straws now.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Noel you didn't mention it but do you happen to have Flightbeam's KSFO installed?

RE Thomason Jr.

I had an OOM this past week, 1st time on an upper end system purchased 9 mos.ago. Been flying to high fps hit airports (KLAX,EGLL,etc) no issues,also with FSCaptain. But upgraded to ver. 1.06 last week,and now had 2 OOMs, 1st time. Had no issues with 1.05.

Also updated the REX D textures. Only 2 recent changes. Going to rollback to ver 1.05 FSC. If OOM, then REX will be the focus.

You said FSDT Hawaiian airports.  Enough said.  That pack is a known OOM causer.  It's a hog on resources.  Be sure you are only activating airports around Hawaii that you plane to fly to or fly out of and don't let ALL the airports load up in your Scenery.cfg.

FSCaptain is not the problem.  It has a very small footprint on your VAS.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

You said FSDT Hawaiian airports.  Enough said.  That pack is a known OOM causer.  It's a hog on resources.  Be sure you are only activating airports around Hawaii that you plane to fly to or fly out of and don't let ALL the airports load up in your Scenery.cfg.

FSCaptain is not the problem.  It has a very small footprint on your VAS.

I mentioned in my OP that I had uninstalled FSDT HA's as the first troubleshooting hope.   So those are not the issue apparently.   I recall when P3D 2.0 debuted I installed the FSDT HA's and they would cause major frame rate deterioration and that was attributed to some legacy texture issue that apparently LM resolved w/ a future release, so I thought I'd take a chance again and see since that issue was solved, and I it was for sure.  But the VAS issue might be its own problem.

And I think while FSC may have a small footprint like any software it could contain troublesome code that could lead to more rapid VAS depletion. 

I had an OOM this past week, 1st time on an upper end system purchased 9 mos.ago. Been flying to high fps hit airports (KLAX,EGLL,etc) no issues,also with FSCaptain. But upgraded to ver. 1.06 last week,and now had 2 OOMs, 1st time. Had no issues with 1.05.

Also updated the REX D textures. Only 2 recent changes. Going to rollback to ver 1.05 FSC. If OOM, then REX will be the focus.

Very good--keep us posted.  Perhaps I can find 1.05 FSC if you confirm it was indeed 1.6 that is leading to your OOM's now.  I just became acquainted w/ FSC and so installed the current release.

Noel

Seems odd that FSCaptain would be the cause.   I fly very complex aircraft with payware airports and Autogen on Normal.    My longest flight to date with FSCaptain running was 4 hours and my simulator didn't even hiccup the entire way.   Hmmmmm....   I'll run with a VAS monitor up next time and see what is going on under the hood.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I use FScaptain all the time with demanding payware airports, PMDG aircraft and other scenery, no OOM problems. 

Are you sure this FSDT scenery didn't leave anything changed to your FSX configuration? If I remember right their scenery uses all kinda fancy Addon Manager stuff, I wonder if something could have changed your fsx.cfg settings for example?