Sign in to follow this  
enrico68

New 27'' monitor and bad frames

Hello everyone, before posting my issue, I went through some posts and noticed many here are using a 27'' monitor, some even a 32'' or higher, and it seems you are all happy about your setup. Well, I was using a 17'' monitor, and decided it was time to change, so I bought a HP Pavillion, 27 xi IPS. It is very nice, thing is, whenever I fly with my NGX, after a few minutes, FSX sturts stuttering...

Here is my rig's specs: CPU Intel I7-4770, 3.5 Ghz, EVGA GTX780, factory overclocked, 8 GB of DD3 RAM, two SSD, one for Windows 7-64, one for FSX.

The add ons I currently use are: EZ-Dok, Trackir 5, ASN, ORBX Global, FEX for sky textures, and I do not use AA, but Trilinear. As I said, I just tried the monitor with the NGX, as I almost only fly liners. The airport I took off from was EGKK, scenery from UK2000.

Tonight I lowered autogen to normal, and disabled ASN, and I did the same flight, with the same results.

As I never had these issues before, and the only change is the monitor, at first I thought my rig could not handle a higher resolution, coming from 1280x1024. But then I read some of you use even larger monitors, and so, just maybe, there is something wrong I am doing with the new monitor.

Any questions you have that might help you understand what is causing the stuttering, please, ask away...one more detail: for my EVGA card, I use nvidia inspector, with settings from Nick, over at Simforums, and the FSX.cfg file was twicked by the the bojote's tool.

Thank you all for any inputs and suggestions,

Enrico

What resolution is your new monitor?

1920x1080,  or higher? 

The size of the monitor does not matter, higher resolution, however,  means more pixels, which means less performance.

Bert

Hi Bert,

I'm about to post a similar topic on the X-Plane forum, more related to comparing a Mac to a PC, but there is also a large disparity in monitor resolution as well (1080p vs 5k).  Getting back to the OP topic, if FSX is run in fullscreen at the same resolution (say 1920X1080) on both monitors, with the new one a higher resolution, is that an issue for performance?  It might be for visual looks, but I would have thought that performance would be a constant since it's the defined FSX resolution output that FSX is trying to maintain....

I agree that in "windowed mode" there would be a difference since the desktop would be in a higher res.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but hoping to add some perspective for the OP question, as well as gain more info for myself.

Thanks, Bruce.

I was assuming that you would run FSX at the native resolution of the monitor, to get the best visuals.

If you were to run the new monitor at the same resolution as the old monitor, there would be no performance impact.

Bert

I wonder what the system performance penalty is for say- twice the resolution? If the OP's new monitor is 4k, that would be 4X the resolution, I believe...

What resolution is your new monitor?

1920x1080,  or higher? 

The size of the monitor does not matter, higher resolution, however,  means more pixels, which means less performance.

Hello Bert,

The monitor's resolution is 1920x1080, and that is what I am running. Of course, I changed the same number under  FSX settings as well. I don't get it how other users are running even bigger monitors with larger resolutions and apparently they do not experience any impact. So, what should I do?

Enrico

I run 1920X1080 with good FSX performance.. but you may need to compromise a bit on the FSX settings, to give your system some relief.

I aim for a solid 30 fps, and have turned Freeway traffic to zero, and turned off shadows, etc to get to that goal.

You will definitely have to adjust a bit.. you are pushing at least twice as many pixels as before.. ^_^

Also, back up your tweaked fsx.cfg file, and try running with a new, clean fsx.cfg as a test..

Tweaks can hinder, as well as help!

Bert

Hello Bert,

The monitor's resolution is 1920x1080, and that is what I am running. Of course, I changed the same number under FSX settings as well. I don't get it how other users are running even bigger monitors with larger resolutions and apparently they do not experience any impact. So, what should I do?

Enrico

Have a look in your fsx.cfg a check if there is still a redundant 1280x1024 entry from your old monitor.

If so delete the entry and see if there is any difference.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Hello Bert, gboz,

last night I deleted my fsx.cfg file, which was of course working flawlessly but for a lower resolution. It is likely, as gboz mentions, that there was a redundant entry for the old configuration, that was creating conflicts with the new monitor. After deleting the old cfg file, I did a new flight, rebuilding the cfg file, and, so far, my fsx is flawless and fluid again. Of course, I will monitor the situation in my next flights, as it is possible I will run into some other issues, we'll see. What I still have to do, now, is configure the NVidia inspector configuration, as per NickN guide, and will proceed from there. Thank you both for your inputs, and support. Have a great day,

Enrico :wink: