Sign in to follow this  
Carob

Light Intensity?

Hello, all.

I have a question about something I've never seen before.

My father is beginning to use a new system built for him by JetLine and he's seeing something a little odd. The light intensity on some items is ridiculously bright. Lights such as lights on top of towers, or NAV lights, or runway lights, etc.

I've never known there to be an adjustment for this but if anyone knows how to be able to do something with this some insight would be greatly appreciated.

This is happening with both FS9 and FSX and didn't happen with the old system.

I've tried to add a picture here to show the issue but can't seem to do that anymore.

Thanks!

Make sure the screen resolution from the Windows Desktop matches the resolution in FS.

I know it's not a default plane, but is the scenery default?

These lights are controlled by the halo.bmp texture  found in the fs9/texture directory. Some addons overwrite it. Depending on enb or sweetfx settings, a little difference in brightness of the textures can produce an astonishing increase in the sim. So it might not have anything to do with the new system but an addon (that is if it has been installed in both sims).

Searching for halo.bmp in the library will give you some default replacements. I recommend to start off with Chris Arrington's airport environment upgrade if you want to try out some textures.

you can also change some lines in the fs9.cfg:

[DISPLAY]
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=25
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400
TextureMaxLoad=9
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR = 1.4     // 1 or 0.6=rather dim
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR =1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR = 1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR = 1.2
WideViewAspect=True
TextureAGP=1

Look for these lines and change the light scalars to a value below 1. That should work at least for runway lights - don't know if it affects hazard lights etc.

Cheers,
Sascha

Hi all!

I'm new here and just stumbled in while browsing the forum.

AFAIK some lights on the airplane are controlled by the fx_2.bmp, located in \Effects\texture.

It might have been replaced by some add-on too.

Regards,

Andreas

Here's the issue with that though...  These are the exact same texture files, fs9.cfg settings, etc. that were being used with the previous system where the issue didn't exist and nothing has been added that changed them.

Here's the issue with that though...  These are the exact same texture files, fs9.cfg settings, etc. that were being used with the previous system where the issue didn't exist and nothing has been added that changed them.

Are you using the same monitor ..... same video card ????

No.  All of that has changed.  It is now a dual video card / 4 monitor setup.

I was able to get things much better using the runway entries above but the lights for the POSKY aircraft are still CRAZY bright.

I'm thinking that since all has changed, the problem lies within what has changed.  Fairly certain that video card and/or monitor combo settings are different than our previous settings ..... hence the apparent difference of light intensity for the same FS settings.  Seems to me that this is really not that unusual and you shouldn't expect the "same" as before with "different" hardware.

I'm thinking that since all has changed, the problem lies within what has changed.

I'll second that. Just downloaded one of the POSKY planes for reference ( I fly helos and piston props most of the time, so I didn't have one yet).

Part of the lights are hard coded, and the ones that are not use the stock fx_2.bmp I mentioned above. Not much that can go wrong inside FS...

Regards,

Andreas