Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

LVFR KSNA John Wayne Bright Ry Lights

I'm downloading it right now, will let you know if it's any better. SimMarket says to remove the old version, but it's not in programs/features. Am I just supposed to delete the scenery entry and folder? 

"You will need to download the entire installer and run it. you can uninstall the old 1.0 version finding the uninstaller in the main fsx folder and then run the new installer version."

Source: http://www.flycay.com/forums/showthread.php?5625-LatinVFR-KSNA-Orange-County-John-Wayne-updated-to-1-10-and-released-for-FS2004&p=28936#post28936

"You will need to download the entire installer and run it. you can uninstall the old 1.0 version finding the uninstaller in the main fsx folder and then run the new installer version."

Source: http://www.flycay.com/forums/showthread.php?5625-LatinVFR-KSNA-Orange-County-John-Wayne-updated-to-1-10-and-released-for-FS2004&p=28936#post28936

Thank you for the help. Found "LatinVFR_KSNA_uninstaller" in the main folder. Reading the change list, looks like there's another option for landing lights now.  

Just installed it, there's an option now for "FS9" or "Effect" runway lighting. I can't make heads or tails of the descriptions in the config utility though, they need a new translator. 

I've tested on both settings and there is a definite improvement. The "effect" style lights are smaller now, but they are still green. The "FS9" style lighting is even smaller and less bright than the "effect" lights and a yellow color. In addition to the smaller lights, enabling the FS9 setting makes the parking lot strobes work in DX10.  I'm sticking with FS9 style personally. 

I've tested on both settings and there is a definite improvement. The "effect" style lights are smaller now, but they are still green. The "FS9" style lighting is even smaller and less bright than the "effect" lights and a yellow color. In addition to the smaller lights, enabling the FS9 setting makes the parking lot strobes work in DX10. I'm sticking with FS9 style personally.

Heh...runway lights should be white.  Can you post a pic?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Heh...runway lights should be white.  Can you post a pic?

Not every airport has white landing lights. See post #8 of this thread for video of the real KSNA. To my eyes, it's a tungsten tint. You'd need xenon bulbs to produce a white or bluish color temp. I'll post a screenshot soon.  

Edit: Screenshot added. Looks pretty similar to the video to me.

lights.jpg

Edit: Screenshot added. Looks pretty similar to the video to me.

Looks good.  Are those the FS9 lights?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Looks good.  Are those the FS9 lights?

Yep. I could swear it looks a little brighter in the sim, but yeah it still looks good I think. If these FS9 lights get their texture from the default light textures, you may also be able to adjust them via REX (if you're okay with changing the lights at other airports too). 

I can't register in their forums because the admin "disabled registration" LOL

To register, go to http://www.flycay.com/contact.php, select "Other" as the type of query, fill out your contact information and let them know you're wanting to register for the LatinVFR forums.  It actually says this on the forum pages, but it's not obvious.

Scott

So I have to register to register?  Lovely

On that video we can't be sure the white balance is correct...  My color palette is like 6 colors lol but I mean runway edge lights are supposed to be white, with a yellow/orange near the ends.  Anyway looks like your screenshot shows them correctly.  So basically they reverted back to standard lighting?  Fine with me as I use scalars to adjust it anyhow - default FSX lights are far far far too bright to be realistic.  Too bad we can't adjust taxiway lighting on default airports.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

So I have to register to register? Lovely

Agreed, but that's the deal.

On that video we can't be sure the white balance is correct...

Indeed - video and stills are not a good way to judge light colors, as white balance is extremely dicey and almost never quite correct in night shots featuring lighting.  The only way to judge is seeing the lights in person.

Scott

To register, go to http://www.flycay.com/contact.php, select "Other" as the type of query, fill out your contact information and let them know you're wanting to register for the LatinVFR forums.  It actually says this on the forum pages, but it's not obvious.

Scott

They could probably make it a lot clearer. But I was tempted to fill out "lost luggage inquiry" instead of "other". Lost luggage on a virtual airline? Atleast they have a sense of humor. 

On that video we can't be sure the white balance is correct...  My color palette is like 6 colors lol but I mean runway edge lights are supposed to be white, with a yellow/orange near the ends.  Anyway looks like your screenshot shows them correctly.  So basically they reverted back to standard lighting?  Fine with me as I use scalars to adjust it anyhow - default FSX lights are far far far too bright to be realistic.  Too bad we can't adjust taxiway lighting on default airports.

Good point. I'm happy with the classic lighting though. No need for effect lights unless they're really going to be done well. Makes it easier to adjust with FSX's halo.bmp or REX anyway, and with the scalars as you mention.    

They could probably make it a lot clearer. But I was tempted to fill out "lost luggage inquiry" instead of "other". Lost luggage on a virtual airline? Atleast they have a sense of humor.

To be fair, I'll follow up and say that I got a very quick response which included my new account credentials.  When all's said and done, it was actually easier than most support forums.

Scott

Yeah, I received an e-mail within that day containing a username and PW. Worked out well enough.  

I just bought it.  It's a really, really nice airport.  I turned on the FS9 lights but I still have the big green approach lights on top of the FS9 ones.  Anyway to shut those off?

Gregg Seipp

Try this:

In you FSX cfg [Display] after WideViewAspect=True

WideViewAspect=True

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.75

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.5

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.65

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.7

:)

James (jaydor)

"Let me X-Plane where I fly in 2020"