Sign in to follow this  
AJT1967

UK2000 Black Squares

Hi Steve,

Running DX Fixer with just a couple of minor issues;

1. UK2000 VFR Scenery Pack1, version 2 for FSX, Southend airport seems to have no runway lights.

2. UK2000 London City Extreme version 1.00 has custom lighting effects, but at dusk, dawn, and night, they are all showing as either black squares or crosses.

I'm sure that I was not getting this before. I've only made a minor change recently; that is to install a newer (and apparently better) Halo.BMP. But if this were the cause, would this not happen to all airports?

Thanks,

Andrew.

2. I downloaded the demo version. Lights seems fine. That was with legacy slider in middle and both v2.0 options selected.

I suggest that you enable MissingTextureAlert in fsx.cfg and see what that shows. If it doesn't show anything check legacy settings.

Note: If you install a halo.bmp always keep a backup.

1. I would ask on UK2000 forums - reading the blurb it sounds as if its pure FSX coding (i.e not legacy) so there is no reason for lights not to work - are there any in DX9?

HI Steve,

Many thanks for your quick reply. I will give those things a try today. Just not sure what I should check in "legacy settings". The fixer is currenty set up with the Default profile.

Thanks again,

Andrew.

The most likely cause of black squares is a missing texture.

In DX9 in many cases (effects, autogen) missing textures are ignored but in DX10 they are shown with the bkg.bmp which is black. This means that if a light is made up of 4 textures with 1 missing it may appear ok in DX9 but appear as you describe in DX10.

The only reason to look at legacy settings is if there isn't a missing texture found. If there isn't a missing texture post back for further help.

OK, I've done some diagnosis, problem does appear to be scenery related. I've got a handle on the UK2000 part, but the diagnostic still crys out for BMP.bmp. Have you heard of that one Steve?

In the meantime, I'll take a look later this morning.

Thanks once again,

Andrew.

Hi Steve,

Issue is resolved now, please disregard.

Many thanks for all of your help, as usual.

Kind regards,

Andrew.

This is where I wish with my hobby I wrote some notes, like I usually do at work......

Inside the folder of my installer package, I had a couple of extra .bgl files. From memory, I'm sure that they were updated .bgls. On my final install, I did not drop those in. Also as a test, when I ran the fixer and it found the new scenery, initially I told it to ignore the scenery. Ran a test and it worked.

Ran the fixer again, and did the conversion, and it worked. Not sure what the .bgl's were for, but they appear to be the culprit. Might be for some other scenery integration.

Thanks again,

Andrew.