Sign in to follow this  
RancidViper

Help with Overclocking!

Hi Guys,

So I've finally got my FSX set up to the point where I know everything is almost perfect! If only I could just fly into Heathrow without dropping down to 11-12 fps my life would be complete!  :lol:

So I decided to look into overclocking! And to be honest, I have no idea about it! The only thing I know is, I'm going to need a CPU cooler, and I was wondering if this one would do the job; 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181032

Here are my PC specs:

Motherboard : Gigabyte H87-D3H

Processor : Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.40Ghz

RAM : 16GB

PSU : 650W

Would I be able to go up to 4.5Ghz just buy buying that cooler? And what are the steps I take when Overclocking? What's the best way to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Randy.

I have been wondering the same thing only I have a saber tooth mono. I will follow this thread and pass along what I find.

You will probably need a bios update from Gigabyte for your H87 board to allow overclocking depending on when you bought the board, oringinally the H series boards could not overclock.

If your i7 4770 is a non K series chip then your overclocking options are limited.

The Overclocking chips are K series.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Intel-Prevents-Overclocking-non-K-Haswell-Processors-and-Strips-Virtualization-and-T

You will probably need a bios update from Gigabyte for your H87 board to allow overclocking depending on when you bought the board, oringinally the H series boards could not overclock.

If your i7 4770 is a non K series chip then your overclocking options are limited.

The Overclocking chips are K series.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Intel-Prevents-Overclocking-non-K-Haswell-Processors-and-Strips-Virtualization-and-T

I bought it in February this year. The BIOS version says 04.06.05 with a date of 07/16/13

But my processor is a non K series that's for sure. Does that mean overclocking is out for me?  :(

With your bios set up correctly your CPU should turboboost up to 3.9 Ghz

What does CPU-Z show when you run FSX ?

Anything past that will involve raising the Bclk, I have no idea how the 4770 chips react to that, Google is your friend here, there is quite a bit of info out there.

From what I have read, Intel has completely prevented overclocking of non-K haswell cpus.  I believe some people have done it anyway but only with Z series motherboards.  As far as the cooler, I would recommend this one over the H100i.  I own both and the Cooler Master is superior in every way.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX2C68847&cm_re=cooler_master_silencio-_-35-103-201-_-Product

Ryan

With your bios set up correctly your CPU should turboboost up to 3.9 Ghz

What does CPU-Z show when you run FSX ?

Anything past that will involve raising the Bclk, I have no idea how the 4770 chips react to that, Google is your friend here, there is quite a bit of info out there.

What exactly should I be looking for in CPU-Z when running FSX? And how do I know if my BIOS is set up correctly? And if it is, does that mean it automatically turboboosts to 3.9?

Sorry for the many questions! 

From what I have read, Intel has completely prevented overclocking of non-K haswell cpus.  I believe some people have done it anyway but only with Z series motherboards.  As far as the cooler, I would recommend this one over the H100i.  I own both and the Cooler Master is superior in every way.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX2C68847&cm_re=cooler_master_silencio-_-35-103-201-_-Product

Thanks rjack! That looks good, except I won't be buying any cooling if I'm not going to overclock, so let's see how that goes!  ^_^

In bracket (8-39) in cpuz thats 39x100=3900mhz

You can overclock it to 4ghz bclk 102.5 is no problem 105-109 is max depending if the CPU is god..

Be aware you overclock the mems and pcie bus to,

Is it worth it do you think? How much could I gain from it and what issues could I be dealing with?

Forgot to mention I have a Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 1GB card.

I would consider getting a K series cpu and a new mobo. Z87 or a Z97. Otherwise good luck. It doesnt look like your components are the ones an overclocker would have.

I would consider getting a K series cpu and a new mobo. Z87 or a Z97. Otherwise good luck. It doesnt look like your components are the ones an overclocker would have.

Yeah I figured that out too. Thing is I had put FSX under the carpet for about 3 years as my rig was just too old. And when I had the opportunity to upgrade, I wasn't that competent in the hardware requirements for overclocking, and just overclocking in itself. I followed Nickn's guide for the rest of my hardware though and FSX runs beautifully I must say.

Just a bit hard when you're flying into Aerosoft Heathrow with ORBX England, Active Sky Next, Pro ATC X and FS Captain. Frames drop down to 11-12 and blurry textures make a comeback!

I will be contacting my PC supplier and try and figure out how to upgrade.

Thanks for all the help everyone!  B)