Sign in to follow this  
kmkc6403

Old FSX pilot returning to fresh start with P3D

Hello everyone! A few weeks ago i happened upon a youtube video of P3D with ORBX installed, and i caught the bug again. So i bought P3D Academic and installed last night. What should i do first when it comes to tweaks? 

Should i run the cfg through Bojetes' tweak tool? Or is there a tweak tool especially for P3D now?

This rig ran FSX pretty well, and has even more system RAM now than it did when i was still running FSX. How about freeware? What would you consider to be "must haves" (im a prop/bush guy)

Computer Specs: i5-4690K 3.5 GHz overclocked to 4.0GHz / MSI GTX 960 4GB Video Card / 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz DDR3 System RAM / MSI Z97-G45 Motherboard / Crucial MX200 500GB mSATA SSD

Hi

i don't run any tweaks at all and it runs really well without them.

i do have a good machine with a 4.6mhz cpu and a 980 card so it should behave itself.

as for scenery,first area i would suggest is the Pacific North west by OrbX .bush flyers dream.if you do buy it download Bowerman KHQM freeware airport from ORBX .my favourite airport in PNW

then you can expand into other Orbx areas if you want to.

https://fullterrain.com/product/pnw

here's a link and it's on sale at 33% off

steve

Yes, ORBX makes great addons. Didnt know they had a sale. Instant buy.

Computer Specs: i5-4690K 3.5 GHz overclocked to 4.0GHz / MSI GTX 960 4GB Video Card / 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz DDR3 System RAM / MSI Z97-G45 Motherboard / Crucial MX200 500GB mSATA SSD

:smile: PNW for about £8.00 its a crazy price

do you own any ORBx that you used with FSX?? only reason i ask is that they have updated a lot of the installers to work with P3D V2.4

steve

:smile: PNW for about £8.00 its a crazy price

do you own any ORBx that you used with FSX?? only reason i ask is that they have updated a lot of the installers to work with P3D V2.4

steve

I own a couple of the airports. and bought FTX Global, Vector and PNW this morning. May the wallet abusing begin.....

yes it becomes very addictive.but you made a good choice with those three.remember that if you fly from a PNW airport to an airport outside of PNW

you must set FTX central to Hybrid mode.if your going to do a flight inside PNW set it to N America.also once you've installed everything to update to the Latest Orbx libraries for P3d2.4.here's a link they are at bottom of page.

https://fullterrain.com/support

steve

Having no issues really yet, but having one big issue with the freeware airport packs for FTX global. The installer keeps asking for a disc location or some nonsense. 

Tried doing the install in admin mode and still most of them will not install.

I will tinker more after i get home from work.

only thing i can think of is to make sure you are pointing the installer to P3D V2.seems it can't find your install.so could be that

steve

Make sure you are using the latest installs with p3dv2 support... Some installs may not yet be compatible.

So far I have graced my P3D with Orbx Global, Vector, and PNW. And now i have Active Sky Next for the weather engine. (ive always preferred this over REX and it seems to do a fantastic job with the weather in P3D) But i have noticed ASN doesn't come with cloud texture replacements. I suppose thats why people prefer REX? And does REX sell just textures separately now from their weather engine.

P3Dv2.4  is amazing. Im seeing a solid 30 fps out of it and this is from a rig that i was always tinkering to get right with FSX. 

and i found my cloud textures.

http://store.rexdownload.com/rex-software/5-rex-soft-cloud-version-1.html

So far I have graced my P3D with Orbx Global, Vector, and PNW. And now i have Active Sky Next for the weather engine. (ive always preferred this over REX and it seems to do a fantastic job with the weather in P3D) But i have noticed ASN doesn't come with cloud texture replacements. I suppose thats why people prefer REX? And does REX sell just textures separately now from their weather engine.

P3Dv2.4 is amazing. Im seeing a solid 30 fps out of it and this is from a rig that i was always tinkering to get right with FSX.

and i found my cloud textures.

http://store.rexdownload.com/rex-software/5-rex-soft-cloud-version-1.html

Go grab REX4 TD and add those soft clouds.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I 2nd the vote for REX Soft Clouds, really like them.

Cheers, Rob.

I had a problem with the airport packs for Global until I discovered you might have to edit your registry to make sure the default path is to your install.

I would love to see all the airport packs for global in one seamless installer (that works for P3Dv2)

FTX Central would be the perfect place for Orbx to implement some type of product list and installer/auto updater ... similar to Aerosoft Launcher (which sorta works sometimes and sorta doesn't work sometimes).  Unfortunately many of these "unified" 3rd party apps seem to have partial implementations ... most likely because of resource time required to make the experienced a more useful and polished one.

Going to Orbx web site to see if new products are out isn't the best way to sell product to existing customers, especially when you have FTX Central already installed ... Aerosoft atleast got a web browser control in their Launcher product even if they didn't implement security correctly for it (meaning "Product Page" links are blocked when clicked on from within Launcher) ... but atleast I can see new products and product updates via Aerosoft Launcher, nothing like that in FTX Central.

Should i run the cfg through Bojetes' tweak tool? Or is there a tweak tool especially for P3D now?

I would start without running ANY tweak tools and see how you go first.  Get a base P3D product working to your satisfaction (then back up the 4 directories).

Cheers, Rob.