Sign in to follow this  
joolsd

What would you do in a 30 min real Flight Sim experience?

I recently booked a 2hour session in a fixed 777 simulator. I have plenty of hours in both the 737NGX & 777 and I was wondering if I could translate what I had learnt into the simulator. It was awesome fun, I spent the time flying circuits performing touch & go's. I took my 15 year old son with me who is also an FSX fan. The instructor, an A330 Captain sat behind us and played with his phone most of the time and at one point went out to make coffee and just left us too it :)

That is a nice amount of time. A half hour fixed sim experience is £99 in the UK, about 150USD. Hour much are your sessions in the US, or where your live?

You really don't have time in 30 minutes to fly a SID up to 4000. You don't want to do any taxiing, just start on the takeoff runway with the engines running, configured for takeoff.  Do your taxiing after your last landing, if you want to get a feel for the tiller/rudder pedals.

Remember SIDs in England are very tight, they are almost a circuits in themselves. From EGKK, my favorite airport, you have the LAM4M, or BIG8M from  26L. (google the free NATS Charts and have a look)  . They are a both a right hand turn and go downwind to RWY26L flying 260 inbound DET 113.30 (like a circuit). The base leg would just be about 29m from DET. I do hear what you say of course about the time constraints. Just exploring the possibilities.

I hope also that the instuctor will let me use the TOGA, and also the acceleration hight will be set at about 3000f.

Remember SIDs in England are very tight, they are almost a circuits in themselves. From EGKK, my favorite airport, you have the LAM4M, or BIG8M from  26L. (google the free NATS Charts and have a look)  . They are a both a right hand turn and go downwind to RWY26L flying 260 inbound DET 113.30 (like a circuit). The base leg would just be about 29m from DET. I do hear what you say of course about the time constraints. Just exploring the possibilities.

That sounds good.   Probably don't want to go past 20DME to DET though, when you slow down to approach speed, you'll be doing about 2-2.5 miles a minute, and if you are on a 10 mile final - that's 4-5 minutes eaten up by your final approach.

You don't want to go too fast that you can't slow down in time, but you don't want to go too slow either.

But anyways, Good luck, enjoy your time and have fun - it will be a treat and a blast...   I personally don't like simulator time, because every time I go - it's a test that I have to pass or I'm out of a job.   It is nice to be able to step foot in one to be able to play.   I've only been able to do that once, and it was to fly approaches into Aspen Colorado, and play dodge the mountains :)

Steve W.

Nice pics Richard...!!!

Thanks Ralph,

I am not sure if you can post video on here but I did a little 4 min edited movie

That is a nice amount of time. A half hour fixed sim experience is £99 in the UK, about 150USD. Hour much are your sessions in the US, or where your live?

Hi Julian,

I got one of these online deals (Groupon) I paid $165.00 CDN for the 2 hour package, I think it is $399.00 normally. The company is called UFly, they are based in Toronto. There is also another company close by that has a full 737NGX non motion simulator. 

It was worth moving here from the UK lol

I am kinda spoilt really :)

Happy New year

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

But anyways, Good luck, enjoy your time and have fun - it will be a treat and a blast... I personally don't like simulator time, because every time I go - it's a test that I have to pass or I'm out of a job. It is nice to be able to step foot in one to be able to play. I've only been able to do that once, and it was to fly approaches into Aspen Colorado, and play dodge the mountains :)

Thanks. I will defiantly enjoy.

I got one of these online deals (Groupon) I paid $165.00 CDN for the 2 hour package, I think it is $399.00 normally. The company is called UFly, they are based in Toronto. There is also another company close by that has a full 737NGX non motion simulator.

Excellent value, good spot! :P

I haven't read this thread tbh but as soon as I saw the title it hit me. With a half hour I'd do an engine failure on takeoff and return to the field.

I haven't read this thread tbh but as soon as I saw the title it hit me. With a half hour I'd do an engine failure on takeoff and return to the field.

I think it is more benefical to operate a normal take off. Seeing that I have not used any kind of professional simulator before.

I would do a circuit to begin with so that you get the feel for flying the plane. Even with these "entertainment" simulators they feel extremely different to flying on flight sim, so it is a good idea to get a good feel for the aircraft before you move onto more difficult stuff. This also will allow the instructor to gauge your skill level. 

After that, i would just do approaches. Try Queenstown, Kai Tak, airports which are just a bit more than a simple straight in approach. Or fly the same approach into the same airport, with each time increasing the difficulty such as visibility, failures, crosswind etc etc.

This is what I would do if I only had 30 minutes. This is just from my experience on flying in both "consumer experience" level simulators such as the one you will be flying on, and Level-D simulators used to train pilots.

Oliver Benton

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

After that, i would just do approaches. Try Queenstown, Kai Tak, airports which are just a bit more than a simple straight in approach. Or fly the same approach into the same airport, with each time increasing the difficulty such as visibility, failures, crosswind etc etc.

I'm going to do EGKK 26L 08R  without question. This is the airport I most use when going on holiday as a passenger, as well as flight sim. :P

I want to start simple with EGKK which is is flat and long, VHHH (or VHHX which?) is famous for the tight finals into 13, but if I miss the approach it might ruin my day.

I have got used to Active Sky Next turbulance during a thunder storm in the PMDG using EZDOK, so i might request a bit of turbulance, but not too much as it might be a distraction. Being a fixed base obviously I won't feel anything, but I might see it's effects out the window, as well as see the buffer on the speed tape and artifical horizon.

When i was in college, our teacher was an Air Canada pilot. He let us fly the Embrear 190 Level D sim that AC uses to train their pilots on. It was super fun. He let us Take Off outa YYZ then buzz the CN tower. He then gave us an engine fire emergency and walked us through that aswell. Finishing off with an ILS back into CYYZ. I flew it all manual, no auto throttles and did a decent job (i was happy with it). 

Hope you have a blast, it is definitely a cool experience.

I'm going to do EGKK 26L 08R without question. This is the airport I most use when going on holiday as a passenger, as well as flight sim. :P

I want to start simple with EGKK which is is flat and long, VHHH (or VHHX which?) is famous for the tight finals into 13, but if I miss the approach it might ruin my day.

I have got used to Active Sky Next turbulance during a thunder storm in the PMDG using EZDOK, so i might request a bit of turbulance, but not too much as it might be a distraction. Being a fixed base obviously I won't feel anything, but I might see it's effects out the window, as well as see the buffer on the speed tape and artifical horizon.

Good idea. Using an airport you are familiar with is best. Anyway real sims don't usually have world wide visual databases. Some may only have a few accurate visual scenes to choose from.

If you try turbulence you'll probably notice how overdone it is in FSX in terms of airspeed variations. But it still won't be very realistic without motion. You might want to try a crosswind on your second circuit instead. Nothing too excessive but enough to make you use the rudder and give you a challenge.

ki9cAAb.jpg

If you try turbulence you'll probably notice how overdone it is in FSX in terms of airspeed variations. But it still won't be very realistic without motion. You might want to try a crosswind on your second circuit instead. Nothing too excessive but enough to make you use the rudder and give you a challenge

That's a good idea, yaw into wind, then kick the rudder last secod. Easier said tha done. I am hoping to book the 16th Jan.

I will try and borrow a go-pro from work.

Hi,

I'm a part time F/I on the iPILOT B737-800 based in Dubai. 

Based on what I observed the best recommendation would be:

1. Pick an airport and surroundings you know well.  

2. Do a basic FMC set-up - nothing fancy just do enough to get to the V speeds and an arrival runway for the selected airport so you have a reference.

3. Go fly a visual circuit. This usually takes 10-15 minutes but fly with a/t initially engaged keeping the speed under 250 kts. You can disconnect it before the approach.

4. Think about the headings you need to fly before you take off! 

5. After that do some approaches - same airport or different if you wish

I get experienced Sim guys asking to to Kai Tak during their first session but if you don't have a feel for the controls - especially speed management this is a big challenge and most (not all) fail to get the approach correct.

I hope you enjoy the experience - where are you flying?

Kind regards, Chris

Well I upgraded to an hour...so hopfully I can do a bit more without the rush. I will let you all know it went. Maybe a video but I won't promise that.

Best regards