Sign in to follow this  
joejccva71

Buying the aircraft that's right for me

Hello guys,

I'm brand new here and I was looking for some advice.  I've been an off and on FSX simmer for a while now, but I haven't played the simulator in years.  I'm just getting back into it and looking to spend some money.

The only thing I've purchased so far was the PMDG 777-200 base plus 300ER expansion.  I also bought Ground Services X.  

After flying the aircraft I think I made the wrong purchase as I may be a bit different in terms of what I find fun.  I know most of you are saying "but the PMDG 777 is the greatest thing since sliced bread!  How could you not like it ?!"

The fact is that the things I look for in an aircraft are this:

1. Panels, buttons, switches, and more panels, buttons, and switches.  I want a ton of things to press.

2. I want to be able to talk to the flight attendants, ask them for food, or even tell them to start an in-flight movie for the passengers.

3. I want a good autopilot and autoland system.  Sometimes I like to just let the plane fly itself once I input everything.   I also like watching the plane land by itself, etc. :)

4. I want a GOOD electronic checklist where my FO is reading things off to me and I click or push the appropriate button.

5. I want to be able to crank up the simulation speed to 16x on long flights but also not have to worry about things breaking when I have to make a turn, change altitudes or even having ATC go crazy cause I sped things up.

These 5 things are a must for me.  Do I live in a dream world?  Or is there an aircraft that has these 5 things?

-Andrew Coste

Sounds to me like you just need FS2Crew for the 777.  You get everything above except lots of buttons and panels.  As soon as you add a ton of buttons and panels like in the ConcordeX you go back to 1960's style technology and then you lose all of the other things you want.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

1. Panels, buttons, switches, and more panels, buttons, and switches.  I want a ton of things to press.

Then the 737 might be a better fit.

2. I want to be able to talk to the flight attendants, ask them for food, or even tell them to start an in-flight movie for the passengers.

Very few planes offer this as part of the plane itself. There is another company that adds this experience to many aircraft called FS2Crew.

3. I want a good autopilot and autoland system.  Sometimes I like to just let the plane fly itself once I input everything.   I also like watching the plane land by itself, etc. :)

The 777 already has this, but the 737 does as well.

4. I want a GOOD electronic checklist where my FO is reading things off to me and I click or push the appropriate button.

The 777 is the only aircraft that has this (Airbuses might, but I don't know who offers those and what level of detail is provided).

The part about the FO is FS2Crew again.

5. I want to be able to crank up the simulation speed to 16x on long flights but also not have to worry about things breaking when I have to make a turn, change altitudes or even having ATC go crazy cause I sped things up.

The 777 already provides this through AUTO CRUISE. This is explained in the intro manual.

Kyle Rodgers

irbuses might, but I don't know who offers those and what level of detail is provided).

Airbuses after the A320 family (I'm not sure about the A300-600/A310) include a takeoff and landing checklist that displays on the E/W screen (upper ECAM). Basically covers the basics (flaps/gear/spoiler/cabin signs/cabin ready). Then they include the ECAM actions. Basically like the non-normal checklist on the 777. Accomplish the items regarding the failure. Then refer to the QRH if needed.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Then the 737 might be a better fit.

Very few planes offer this as part of the plane itself. There is another company that adds this experience to many aircraft called FS2Crew.

The 777 already has this, but the 737 does as well.

The 777 is the only aircraft that has this (Airbuses might, but I don't know who offers those and what level of detail is provided).

The part about the FO is FS2Crew again.

The 777 already provides this through AUTO CRUISE. This is explained in the intro manual.

Thank you so much Kyle.

It sounds like the 737 NGX + FS2Crew might be a better fit.  But also from what you said, the 737 doesn't have electronic checklists as well as no autocruise, correct?

If that's the case, then I need to have both planes. lol

-Andrew Coste

But also from what you said, the 737 doesn't have electronic checklists as well as no autocruise, correct?

Correct, but the 737 flies reasonably short routes as well, so you don't really need autocruise for many of the routes.

Also:

-Please do not post threads in multiple places. One is okay (don't worry - I already took care of the ones in the 777 subforum).

-It's a forum rule to sign your full real name to your posts. Please do so.

Kyle Rodgers

Just keep in mind that with FS2Crew the FO does a lot of the work....he/she actually does the work a real FO would do in a 737 so if you want to push all of the buttons yourself then it may not suit you.  There are other programs out there that have voice checklists where you do all the work.....I don't have these but I think Multi Crew Experience might be one that gives you this option, you will have to research it and confirm.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Just keep in mind that with FS2Crew the FO does a lot of the work....he/she actually does the work a real FO would do in a 737 so if you want to push all of the buttons yourself then it may not suit you.  There are other programs out there that have voice checklists where you do all the work.....I don't have these but I think Multi Crew Experience might be one that gives you this option, you will have to research it and confirm.

Ok thanks Mark.  Appreciate it.

-Andrew Coste

Andrew - we don't "play" the simulator - it isn't a game! It's MUCH more serious than that. LOL, just kidding.

Andrew - we don't "play" the simulator - it isn't a game! It's MUCH more serious than that. LOL, just kidding.

haha - I don't like to treat it like a game, but I'd be lying if I tried to tell you that I didn't happen to...say...

...load the first 777-200LR wide beta up at IAD, set an empty load and short fuel, firewall the throttles and vault into the sky.

In all seriousness, though, I do try to be serious about it more often than not:

When I was on my PPL long cross country solo, I was flying by ROA thinking "I should probably update my altimeter setting." Of course, instead of reaching for the radio to tune ROA's ATIS, my first thought was "just press B." After chiding myself for first thinking to use a FS shortcut, I figured I should concentrate a bit more in the sim.

Kyle Rodgers