Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

WOW....CYBD (ORBX) Bella-Coola..at the end of the lake..waterfalls!

Boy...what you DO NOT know is there....

I bought (and not sure if this is actually part of the custom CYBD (Bella-Coola) scenery or not...might be in ORBX GLOBAL!)  ORBX CYBD, and decided to take in the sights. So..I headed out of the airport...and took in the scenery of the lake, as you fly past the marina at the delta.  I headed along the lakeshore in the Jet Ranger III and kept onwards to the end of the lake.  Out ahead, I saw that a river emptied into the lake and went around a corner of the mountainside.  I followed the river up its course, and came into a most beautiful bay and body of water. To my amazement...( I almost lost control of the Ranger, lol) was not only one animated waterfall coursing down the mountainside, but further up, was even a higher waterfall with a tri-body of water flow.  There was a beautiful cabin, dock with pontoon planes, and pleasure boats anchored, with their passenger no doubt, enjoying the breath- taking beauty of the place, and the water falls!!!

So...set your Central to N.  America, take off out of CYBD, and head out over the lake to the far end...you'll see the river. Take the river up and into the hidden bay...and BOY...are you in for a scenic surprise!  I didn't even know this was there...and have been flying in this area for months, since owning all the ORBX associated custom scenery.   Now..whether what you see will be the same as me...( I am running under DX10 and Steve's latest version v2.6) in FSX-MS, you will have to see.

You simply have to check this out...fantastic find...tucked away in a spot you would barely know it's there, let alone purposely fly over, or fly to...

Not sure if this is a DX10 'thing', but the waterfalls have spray as they cascade...and it seems volumetric in view and nature..as the wisps of water billow about the rocks in the downfall....fabulous!:

Oh, BTW,  the pictures in no way captures the live action...and how beautifully it plays out...the lake water animation, and the waterfalls as they cascade down the cliffs, etc.   Must see!

Now heading beyond the bay...into the river-run and mountain pass....to see what else I might find....Life...is good!:   

Final Shots:

Ok...it is quite apparent that there are TONS of custom scenery,  lake-side properties...nestled away in these hidden and remote coves. Just keep following the river out of that waterfall cove....keep flying...(best in helicopter...) and you will find gems below you. Here is an example..with someone enjoying an animated, huge bonfire...:)   Happy New Year, everyone!   I'll have to hover lower...or hey..perhaps land and 'crash' the cookout!  Having way too much fun for this to be legal..... -_-

Amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Ralf...just added another shot to my O.P.   It has me facing into the bay/cove (whatever..lol) with the water fall to the right..and if you look up at the top left of the cove-cliff, you will see water...and there is another great waterfall animation to hover and watch....wow...on the screen, it is drop-dead gorgeous!

I can only imagine what that cabin property (you'll see it...with dock , etc) could be worth in real life....with those two waterfalls in your back yard. As soon as I end my session...I 'm going GOOGLE hunting for this exact RW spot...I want to see for myself!

Mitch

Mitch, believe it or not, I have spent the whole day redownloading and reinstalling my North American ORBX scenery. So your post came just right. Off to work tomorrow and I'm looking forward to a new simming year with that great scenery. My FSX SE runs great.

I have to say, a number of times I've thought about getting Pacific Fjords but, when I look at the product screenshots it just doesn't look real to me.  The mountains, the shores, the river banks...just not Orbx strength.  I do like the looks of Bella Coola...a town-valley is one of Orbx strengths and I really like them...Concrete, Darrington, Eugene OR, and other places.  But, with the weakness of the Pacific Fjords (which is required) I haven't bought either.  Just my thoughts.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Mitch, believe it or not, I have spent the whole day redownloading and reinstalling my North American ORBX scenery. So your post came just right. Off to work tomorrow and I'm looking forward to a new simming year with that great scenery. My FSX SE runs great.

Good to read, Ralf!  I haven't installed FSX-SE yet...as I won't be interested in a dual-install.  Like you...it will be a single re-install of everything into FSX-SE.  I'm holding off on that, until most of my stuff is 100 percent, ready to load in and work.  Until then...exploring the rest of the ORBX scenery I picked up on the 33 % sale.  

This just proves beyond doubt, that you have to fly around EVERY cliff, mountain, lake....whatever...for you WILL find gems....gems like diamonds...  :rolleyes:

I have to say, a number of times I've thought about getting Pacific Fjords but, when I look at the screenshots it just doesn't look real to me.  The mountains, the shores, the river banks...just not Orbx strength.  I do like the looks of Bella Coola...a town-valley is one of Orbx strengths and I really like them...Concrete, Darrington, Eugene OR, and other places.  But, with the weakness of the Pacific Fjords (which is required) I haven't bought either.  Just my thoughts.

Gregg

Hi Gregg....well, all I can say...is that if you take a whirly-bird up and out of CYBD...with all the required ORBX candy...it really, really looks quite RW, on your screen. To have found...totally stumbled upon this scenery Easter Egg, by sheer accident of flight path...has totally made my simming day!!!!!!    The water fall(s) cascading down the cliff side...wow.....

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The Unofficial ORBX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Mitch, without checking it out, could you be referring to the fjord South Bentinck Arm (there is no lake just off the end of the Bella Coola airstrip).  Your location seems to suggest that you are flying between South Bentinck Arm and Wuikinuxv Lake or Owikeno Lake.  These are the "arms" of major fjords.  Wuikinuvx is in fact a major lake which is an extension of Rivers Inlet, not near Bella Coola.

If I'm not mistaken you have installed most or all of the Misty Moorings sceneries. I think the scenery you are talking about is one of those addons perhaps its the Owikeno Lake one.

Bryan

Yes Mitch I just fired up my sim and the area is located in the connector between South Bendinck Arm and Owikeno (or Wuikinuxv Lake).  The scenery is a package available from Misty Moorings called Owikeno Lake Area.

GO HERE TO GET IT

http://return.mistymoorings.com/scenery/#o

Also part of this scenery is a "River Run" so you can take a boat ride view of the area and run the river.

FYI, in real life I actually worked on the ground in this actually area (in my younger forestry days).  Have been this this exact spot among others in this area.  Seen some might big Grizzles here as well.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Here's a good one courtesy of Google.  Search for Bella Coola airport on Google Maps and you'll notice there is a picture available, as there is for many such places.  Pull up the picture and you'll find...  It's an FSX screen shot of Carenado's Malibu Mirage at Orbx CYBD.  Not a particularly great one, but still.  Too funny!

I have to say, a number of times I've thought about getting Pacific Fjords but, when I look at the product screenshots it just doesn't look real to me. The mountains, the shores, the river banks...just not Orbx strength. I do like the looks of Bella Coola...a town-valley is one of Orbx strengths and I really like them

Gregg, I consider Pacific Fjords a connecting region, (along with the older FSAddons Tongas Fjords product which connects seamlessly between Pacific Fjords and SAK, and also features some enhanced airports) allowing me to move from SoCal and PNW (which are both excellent) up to their equally excellent Southern AK region, which features a great deal of enhanced photo scenery.  Pacific Fjords and Tongas Fjords may not be the best of Orbx (and pre-Orbx), but they're still good, and vastly better than default scenery and can be further enhanced for the bush pilot by the Misty Moorings offerings, which as Bryan points out are probably responsible for Mitch's waterfall.

Both CYBD (Bella Coola) and CZST (Stewart) are really fun airports with a goodly amount of annotated photo scenery.  Both offer some very entertaining approaches, up winding Fjords surrounded by towering mountains with limited go-around options for landings - especially at Stewart.  I greatly enjoy both of them.

Scott

Mitch, without checking it out, could you be referring to the fjord South Bentinck Arm (there is no lake just off the end of the Bella Coola airstrip). Your location seems to suggest that you are flying between South Bentinck Arm and Wuikinuxv Lake or Owikeno Lake. These are the "arms" of major fjords. Wuikinuvx is in fact a major lake which is an extension of Rivers Inlet, not near Bella Coola.

If I'm not mistaken you have installed most or all of the Misty Moorings sceneries. I think the scenery you are talking about is one of those addons perhaps its the Owikeno Lake one.

Bryan

Yes Mitch I just fired up my sim and the area is located in the connector between South Bendinck Arm and Owikeno (or Wuikinuxv Lake). The scenery is a package available from Misty Moorings called Owikeno Lake Area.

GO HERE TO GET IT

http://return.mistymoorings.com/scenery/#o

Also part of this scenery is a "River Run" so you can take a boat ride view of the area and run the river.

FYI, in real life I actually worked on the ground in this actually area (in my younger forestry days). Have been this this exact spot among others in this area. Seen some might big Grizzles here as well.

Oops I think you are right! The lake you posted a link to is what I flew over, and never connected it to the M.M. scenery installed. Sorry to any reader for this blooper! Thank you for putting my intent back on track!

Hey Mitch, not to worry.  I love all this region and I have all the Misty Moorings addons they ad some life to otherwise endless wilderness, and give you objectives to fly to.  As I keep saying add some real life weather and VFR flying which most of it is and take your life in your hands, its great fun.

Near CAM3

Bryan, this is weird, but if I take off from CYBD, and fly out to where the marina is, and past that...at least in my scenery where Misty Moorings is installed, I get that larger lake...and then to the end of that, is that smaller hidden bay where the water falls are....at least on my installation, so I was right (from my perspective) to have mentioned Bella Coola as my take-off airport. No matter, though, Misty Moorings is fabulous....

Happy New Year,and I appreciate your post to this thread, for sure!!!

Mitch

Bryan, this is weird, but if I take off from CYBD, and fly out to where the marina is, and past that...at least in my scenery where Misty Moorings is installed, I get that larger lake...and then to the end of that, is that smaller hidden bay where the water falls are....at least on my installation, so I was right (from my perspective) to have mentioned Bella Coola as my take-off airport. No matter, though, Misty Moorings is fabulous....

Happy New Year,and I appreciate your post to this thread, for sure!!!

Mitch

Yes Mitch. There are the lakes some 30 minutes flying down the fjord and then south to Owikino Lake where this addon from Misty is located.  Buy your description, it sounded to me that you were leaving the airstrip and immediately coming across those lakes, when in fact as you head west from CYBD the first body of what you find is the fjord which has to be followed west then turn south down the other fjord (South Bentinck Arm) and follow that arm until it ends at the river which then leads you to the somewhat hidden lakes where the scenery of Misty is located.

cheers

Near CAM3

Yes Mitch. There are the lakes some 30 minutes flying down the fjord and then south to Owikino Lake where this addon from Misty is located.  Buy your description, it sounded to me that you were leaving the airstrip and immediately coming across those lakes, when in fact as you head west from CYBD the first body of what you find is the fjord which has to be followed west then turn south down the other fjord (South Bentinck Arm) and follow that arm until it ends at the river which then leads you to the somewhat hidden lakes where the scenery of Misty is located.

cheers

OK..so about 5 minutes out of Coola...and as you fly over the marina and town right at the delta...that is the fjord. Gottcha!  I follow this fjord to its end....and there you find a river that leads into the hidden bay with the water falls. Beyond that...a river...that then leads out to assorted lakes as you say.   Right now...I'm hitching a ride on a tanker headed shortly to go under the Golden Gate Bridge.  This is just too much fun, Bryan, too much fun...lol.

Cheers!

I'm looking toward fall when I can maybe upgrade my four year old PC to a much better machine and I can look to flying more than GA planes (my system just can't keep up with flying over 140 knts.)

But since I added a 40" monitor dual with 23"  and all my Saitek yoke, rudder pedals, trim wheel, throttles, switch board, flying has been so much immersion fun.  Especially in mountains, bad weather etc.

Cheers

Bryan

Near CAM3