Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMan

Micro stutters and shimmering in P3D

I have an i5-3570K and run it at 4.6 GHz... No micro stutter for me.... other settings in signature.

Ah, so you are the one.

-Roland

If LM and NVidia ever get together and get their heads around the driver issues P3D will be great...but I am afraid until such time and running through a hybridised window it will never be a smooth as it could be....and stutters will remain...it requires the half v synch fix.

Come LM step up in 2015 make it happen!

Cheers

Could be your graphics cards, the 650Ti is an entry level card - P3Dv2 loves a powerful GPU.

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

Thanks all for the help. Changing the SGSS setting in Nvidia Inspector seems to help: it reduces the shimmering effect, but does not completely eliminate shimmering. Also seems to have smoothed some of the micro-stutters.

I believe this is a known Orbx issue.

Not sure how to check if this is really the case.  If you have FTX Global, then everywhere you fly is ORBX scenery, not just the UK. So it is not possible to fly in a non-ORBX area and see if the problem disappears.  I have Global, OpenLC Europe and several FTX regions, including all of the UK regions. I seem to get the shimmering  whever there are vertical objects, and especially at addon airports. This is true for Orbx airports (e.g., EGHI) and UK2000 airports. Outside the UK FTX regions and in OpenLC Europe, I get shimmering at Aerosoft, Dreamflight and Jetstream Design airports. But the shimmering seems worst at the UK2000 airports. Whoever owns this problem, LM or ORBX, I hope they attend to it soon.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Thanks all for the help. Changing the SGSS setting in Nvidia Inspector seems to help: it reduces the shimmering effect, but does not completely eliminate shimmering. Also seems to have smoothed some of the micro-stutters.

Not sure how to check if this is really the case.  If you have FTX Global, then everywhere you fly is ORBX scenery, not just the UK. So it is not possible to fly in a non-ORBX area and see if the problem disappears.  I have Global, OpenLC Europe and several FTX regions, including all of the UK regions. I seem to get the shimmering  whever there are vertical objects, and especially at addon airports. This is true for Orbx airports (e.g., EGHI) and UK2000 airports. Outside the UK FTX regions and in OpenLC Europe, I get shimmering at Aerosoft, Dreamflight and Jetstream Design airports. But the shimmering seems worst at the UK2000 airports. Whoever owns this problem, LM or ORBX, I hope they attend to it soon.

Here's what works best for me and has been commented on by others as most effective for reducing shimmering:

1. Open Inspector
  2. Find the prepar3d.exe profile and delete it.
  3. Click the Nvidia icon up top to reset driver settings to default.
  4. For Antialiasing Compatibility DX1x choose Bioshock from the drop down menu.
  5. For AA Mode, choose either Override or Enhanced--I don't think this matters which one.
  6. For AA Setting, choose SUPERVCAA_64x_4x
  7. For AA Supersampling, choose 2x SGSS.
  8. For Anisotropic Filtering, choose Application-Controlled
  9. In P3D:
    1. FXAA to OFF
    2. MSAA 4x
    3. AF 4x, select Apply, then change AF to 16x

I find these settings mitigate a lot of the poor AA in P3D, including shimmering and 'swimming' textures.  Not perfect, but quite good.   Add a higher custom resolution (at your own risk) and you can really get some superb image quality in P3D V2.2.

NOTE:  the Antialiasing Compatibility DX1x Bioshock setting was discovered to be critically effective w/ earlier versions of P3D V2.x, and I'm not sure if it's still critical, but I use it and have excellent image quality and have really mitigated the swimming textures you see on runway threshold, and to anti-aliase runway lines.   You GPU is very weak for P3D I'm afraid.   In my continuous use of FSX & P3D over the many years I have never had as smooth performance in FSX as I do now in P3D, but I have a strong system still, despite its age.  I'm a firm believer in HT enabled using an affinity mask that puts the OS on Core0, the P3D main thread on Core1, and all other 10 virtual cores on my SB-E chip busy w/ texture loading.

• Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Here's what works best for me and has been commented on by others as most effective for reducing shimmering:

Noel, thanks. Have made the settings you suggest and it does seem to improve things. As you say, better but not perfect. I may have to live with the situation until I can upgrade my graphics card.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Thanks Noel,

I linke you settings, too. They're not quite as hard on the graphics adapter as 4xSGSS, but reduce shimmering in a comparable way.

Actually, I wantet to "like" your contribution but obviously this is no longer possible.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

• Open Inspector
  • Find the prepar3d.exe profile and delete it.
  • Click the Nvidia icon up top to reset driver settings to default.
  • For Antialiasing Compatibility DX1x choose Bioshock from the drop down menu.
  • For AA Mode, choose either Override or Enhanced--I don't think this matters which one.
  • For AA Setting, choose SUPERVCAA_64x_4x
  • For AA Supersampling, choose 2x SGSS.
  • For Anisotropic Filtering, choose Application-Controlled
  • In P3D:
    • FXAA to OFF
    • MSAA 4x
    • AF 4x, select Apply, then change AF to 16x

It is important that P3D settings use the same MSAA setting that is equivalent to the SSAA or SGSSAA setting in NI. So we set 4xMSAA in P3D and 4xSGSSAA in NI, or 2xMSAA and 2xSSAA etc. No amount of setting 4. 5. or 6. to anything makes any difference to the view.

...it is true that with NI, FSX in full screen can use 1/4, 1/3, and 1/2 refresh rates with 15, 20, and 30fps fixed framerates for a smoother view with a 60Hz monitor, microstutters can be similarly reduced in P3D, which is windowed mode, by using 120 or 240Hz refresh monitors, rather than 60Hz.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Speaking of smoother views, whatever happened to GSYNC?

It is important that P3D settings use the same MSAA setting that is equivalent to the SSAA or SGSSAA setting in NI. So we set 4xMSAA in P3D and 4xSGSSAA in NI, or 2xMSAA and 2xSSAA etc. No amount of setting 4. 5. or 6. to anything makes any difference to the view.

Interesting.  I remember I ran 4x/4x when I was playing around w/ different settings and don't recall any appreciable difference over 4x/2x--I'll take another look and see if I can discern.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1. Open Inspector
  2. Find the prepar3d.exe profile and delete it.
  3. Click the Nvidia icon up top to reset driver settings to default.
  4. For Antialiasing Compatibility DX1x choose Bioshock from the drop down menu.
  5. For AA Mode, choose either Override or Enhanced--I don't think this matters which one.
  6. For AA Setting, choose SUPERVCAA_64x_4x
  7. For AA Supersampling, choose 2x SGSS.
  8. For Anisotropic Filtering, choose Application-Controlled
  9. In P3D:
    1. FXAA to OFF
    2. MSAA 4x
    3. AF 4x, select Apply, then change AF to 16x

I find these settings mitigate a lot of the poor AA in P3D, including shimmering and 'swimming' textures.  Not perfect, but quite good.   Add a higher custom resolution (at your own risk) and you can really get some superb image quality in P3D V2.2.

NOTE:  the Antialiasing Compatibility DX1x Bioshock setting was discovered to be critically effective w/ earlier versions of P3D V2.x, and I'm not sure if it's still critical, but I use it and have excellent image quality and have really mitigated the swimming textures you see on runway threshold, and to anti-aliase runway lines.   You GPU is very weak for P3D I'm afraid.   In my continuous use of FSX & P3D over the many years I have never had as smooth performance in FSX as I do now in P3D, but I have a strong system still, despite its age.  I'm a firm believer in HT enabled using an affinity mask that puts the OS on Core0, the P3D main thread on Core1, and all other 10 virtual cores on my SB-E chip busy w/ texture loading.

Thanks Noel,

I linke you settings, too. They're not quite as hard on the graphics adapter as 4xSGSS, but reduce shimmering in a comparable way.

Actually, I wantet to "like" your contribution but obviously this is no longer possible.

Kind regards, Michael

PMB/Michael echoes the response that I had to the suggestion above: all of this can be solved by simply running SGSS 8x in NI but, even with my overclocked 780ti, I'll bottleneck if there are multiple cloud layers or fog or something. I can reliably run SGSS 4x without any performance degredation but 4x does not completely eliminate the shimmering. The suggestion above (Noel's) only benefits us if both the performance and quality get us somewhere in between 4x and 8x... if that makes sense. I almost wish there was a 6x...