Sign in to follow this  
DinoCarlton

Options to extend 'fully-loaded' GA setup for commercial jets (737?)

Hi All,

I am a longtime forum-lurker, newbie member and first-time poster!

I have already built a fully-loaded custom made aluminium Main Instrumet Panel (MIP) targetting GA (single, twin etc.) comprising the following Saitek modules:

- Cessna Yoke, Rudder pedals and Trim Wheel

- 2x Radio Panels

- 2x Backlit Information Panels (BIP's)

- 2x Throttle quadrants

- 1x Throttle, Prop, Mixture panel (TPM with switches)

- 11x Flight Intrument Panels (LCD FIP's)

- 1x Switch Panel

- 1x Multi-Panel

- 1x iPad on flexi-mount

My plan was always to focus on GA / low and slow (I hope to start on my PPL/CPL soon), hence this 'equipment' - with an occasional 'play' at the heavy jets. Maybe with a side joystick.

Having relocated to Australia and spent the last year on a road-trip (immediately following completion of the MIP - which I have never used!), my MIP has been (and remains) in storage for the foreseeable future. So I got to thinking....

What if I were to extend what I already have to provide better support for jets? After lot's of research, I am now fired up to do this! My plan was to enclose the MIP in one of Sim Samurai's enclosures (the CS-1 Stallion, for which I already bought the blueprint). I reckon I could squeeze some jet bits in, so am looking for some guidance before committing $$$ to my purchases.

On the Boeing vs Airbus debate: I will probably go Boeing primarily (though maybe with room for a PIC joystick for Airbus - just in case!).

I like GoFlight stuff but am swinging towards VRInsight for their: CDU III panel (CDU II + LCD), 737 Overhead panel - and, if I need it, MCP Combo II (EFIS/MCP/COM). Oh and their GPS 5 panel, 'cos I can.

Which leads to the million $$$ question: if I sacrifice the "realism/immersion", how much of the jet workload can be mapped to the GA-biased MIP? Obviously, early 737's would map better, with more 'steam' guages, though 11x Saitek FIP's should help either way?

For me, getting the CDU III is a no brainer, especially with it's LCD. I 'think' the GPS 5 would also be useful - even if only to extend the GA capability. And I guess, the overhead panel could also be a no-brainer (I know it tends to only get used at the beginning/end of a flight, but it is an 'easy' add-on, just stick it above my head!). More matched to iFly than PMDG I understand (in terms of functionality that will work) - shame!

Where I 'do not get it' yet, is how much practical overlap I have with existing instruments and the MCP combo? I see some COM and autopilot potential overlap, but lack the experience with both GA and commercial to make a sensible decision on whether I can get away without the MCP Combo - or whether this will prevent a sensible, more realistic workload.

Any thoughts from others who fly both types please? Thanks!

So I just confirmed to myself that I WILL be adding a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog into the above mix just as soon as I can (probably even before getting my MIP out of storage).

Do any of you more experienced mixed Jet / GA pilots have a view on my original question(s)? :D

For the FMS/FMC I suggest you use the Android/iPhone app called Virtual CDU instead of buying a hardware component.

Then a 7" tablet can be your FMC for 737,777 or A320 whichever you want to fly on the day.

Then a 7" tablet can be your FMC for 737,777 or A320 whichever you want to fly on the day.

Thanks for the heads up, Dan - I had not seen that app yet, it looks very good! The tablet can do double/triple duty for other functions, so looks like that could be the way forward for my FMC!

I was looking into the screenshots, and purchased the A320 one so far (still waiting for PMDG to come to Prepar3d). On my 16:9 phone, it has a little gap at the top.

I'm thinking a 16:10 tablet would be best, have ordered the Galaxy Tab S 8.4" with one of those universal tablet stands

I'm thinking a 16:10 tablet would be best, have ordered the Galaxy Tab S 8.4" with one of those universal tablet stands

Nice! About $400 AUD or £225. I have the iPad2 on a 24" flexible mount (designed for car/lorry) which I planned for moving charts, weather, engine gauges etc. Could also cover FMC if neccessary, but for the money, I reckon another tablet is the order of the day!

Just got response from the developer about future plans, they are working on iFly 747v2, and then on Majestic Q400.

So there will be 5 CDUs available in the long run, although I'm waiting for the PMDG 747v2 and hoping they will do the CDU for that as well.