Sign in to follow this  
BMagann

Removing Boxed Edition after installing SE

I installed SE on my computer alongside my existing boxed edition. It is becoming clear that soon I won't require two installations because I am very pleased with the Steam Edition. As soon as the PMDG and Orbx issues are resolved that is the way I am going to go.

My question is, what do I have to do to make sure that once the boxed edition is removed installers like the one for Orbx products find the SE installation and do not try to install to the removed boxed edition? Will the uninstall remove all the necessary registry entries, or will I have to do that manually? If so, will it be easy to use a registry editor to remove what needs to be deleted, or is it hard to find and identify the necessary files?

Thanks for any advice and guidance you can provide.

- Bill Magann

These are great questions..I hope you receive a reply from someone in the know. I have a friend that is interested in the same thing. I am staying tuned!

It will be quicker, easier and safer to unistall both and then reinstall FSX SE and the addons. That is what I intend to do when PMDG, Majestic, ASN etc have sorted themselves out.

It will be quicker, easier and safer to unistall both and then reinstall FSX SE and the addons. That is what I intend to do when PMDG, Majestic, ASN etc have sorted themselves out.

Thank you MichaelTurner for your reply.

By doing that will the re-install of FSX:SE then remove anything that the original FSX installation left in the registry that might confuse installers? That is what has to happen to avoid problems, correct?

- Bill Magann

By doing that will the re-install of FSX:SE then remove anything that the original FSX installation left in the registry that might confuse installers?

I agree with Michael Turner. Uninstall both programs and then run a registry cleaner such as CCleaner (https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download).  Go through the various folders where FSX installs and manually delete whatever folders/files are left over from the uninstalls and then reinstall FSX SE through Steam as usual.  I would also clear out all of my existing addons at the same time and then reinstall them once you have only FSX SE installed.  Some of the config files have different names depending on whether or not you install FSX SE with FSX MS on your system.

Ryan

Ahh, that is what I was getting at. It will still be necessary to run a registry cleaner no matter what. 

Thanks guys, as always AVSIM provides the best answers to any flight sim related question.

- Bill Magann